Advanced photo editing and gaming on the same pc?

Gdourado

Hello, how are you?

I was wondering how can a single computer be the high end gaming machine and the advanced photo editing workstation?

I currently use OSX for my photography workstation.

I have a large SSD for OS and apps, a smaller SSD for scratch, and several HDDs for storage.

I was wondering if anyone here works in photography but also likes to game and uses one machine for all.

How do you have your machine set up?

How did you compromise and in what components?

Cheers!

i7 4790k 

GTX 970 

should be plenty for you

Or do you want an hackintosh

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

i7 4790k 

GTX 970 

should be plenty for you

I would go for the hackintosh

i7 4790k 

GTX 970 

should be plenty for you

or a xeon 1231 or 1241 if you want to save $100 form the i7

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

or a xeon 1231 or 1241 if you want to save $100 form the i7

always forget the Xeon, altough I even have one ^^

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

What I meant to ask is how do you do both things with a so gle computer?

Is there a good monitor for both cases?

I currently have an Asus PB278Q.

8bit PLS panel. Like it for photo work.

For gaming, something with 144hz, and either g-sync or free sync would be needed.

My PB would tear like crazy.

But then, such monitor would pretty much suck for phot work...

Would I need to run dual monitor?

One for photo work and one for gaming?

How would that work ergonomics?

For gaming, the monitor should be front and center. If it's the case, then the photo monitor would be at the side.

When doing photo work, the positioning would not be ideal...

How about peripherals?

I have an apple wireless keyboard andagoc mouse. These would probably not work for gaming...

By the way, my current rig is already a hackintosh I set up and love the power and performance.

Cheers!

I use my computer for gaming and Photography. I do a lot of editing on my computer and also play all my games on it too! I did the same with my previous computers. 

What sort of advanced photoshopping are you exactly doing? I have done large batch edits on my computer and haven't seen that much of an impact...

I make advanced V.E and intence gaming a 4770k, 780 work really fine what i really advise you for storage though is a decent size ssd like 240gb and a spacious HDD 4TB would be great, WD green are very good BTW 

I am a semi-professional photographer and an avid pc gamer and i have had the same question as you have before deciding to put my pc together.

My main statement is that OSX is difficult and not a good idea for serious gaming because of a lot of games not evening being supported by the OS.

I must say OSX is extremely good for editing etc. 

I had to make a compromise...

I looked into using windows as my main OS and realised that Windows can manage all the workstation features as long as you own most adobe software and using Windows isn't that much of a loss in workstation features, if you want full game support and your full game library showing up on steam.

Hardware wise, you will mainly want an all round gaming optimised desktop with a little bit extra RAM to support the editing (16GB-32GB)

A RAID array would be recommended with at least 2TB of storage.

Graphics card wise , I would recommend a high (ish) end level card as it can provide some serious colour accuracy as well as allowing you to play BF4 in 4K. (I am planning to run a single windforce 980)

No real compromises at all, I use Photoshop, C4D, AfterFX, Final Cut Pro (System is a hackintosh) just to name a few

Yet I'm still able to run high end games on their respective maximum settings @ 1080P

See my signature for specs

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.8GHZGPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X (X2 - SLI)RAM: 24GB | Storage: 128GB 960 PRO M.2 SSD, 1TB & 750GB HDD | Operating System: Windows 10, MacOS High Sierra

What I meant to ask is how do you do both things with a so gle computer?

Is there a good monitor for both cases?

I currently have an Asus PB278Q.

8bit PLS panel. Like it for photo work.

For gaming, something with 144hz, and either g-sync or free sync would be needed.

My PB would tear like crazy.

But then, such monitor would pretty much suck for phot work...

Would I need to run dual monitor?

One for photo work and one for gaming?

How would that work ergonomics?

For gaming, the monitor should be front and center. If it's the case, then the photo monitor would be at the side.

When doing photo work, the positioning would not be ideal...

How about peripherals?

I have an apple wireless keyboard andagoc mouse. These would probably not work for gaming...

By the way, my current rig is already a hackintosh I set up and love the power and performance.

Cheers!

Most modern gaming panels are designed to provide clear, accurate colour depth and make sure the image is as pure as it can be, this will translate into gaming as well as photo editing so I wouldn't worry to much.

Its all about doing research, there are plenty of monitors which would be perfect for you , you just need to hunt down reviews.

if you find the right one you wont need to run two monitors.

Peripherals:

Never ever game on any apple mice, keyboard or any other form of input device they make.

Look into the Corsair RGB keyboards as they are brilliant for gaming and decent for regular use, they also look pretty damn fine.

My straight to mouse choice would be the Logitech Performance mx as its Perfect for editing and regular use and is a decent basic choice for gaming, as well as being not too expensive.

Your choice of hardware or software doesn't make you "advanced".

You can be advanced at photography without the need for specific hardware/software.

Any good high-end gaming PC should be enough for photography, given that you have a good monitor and not a TN one.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

GTX Titan series exist because of people like you, that must collide both gaming and work into a single PC.

A balanced Work/Gaming rig would be a Titan (not X) + i7 5820K OC. + 32GB Ram (future upgradable up to 128GB or more dep. on MoBo)

Wont give you the best bang for buck in gaming neither working. But it will give you both awesome performance in professional tools while keeping up with most games @1080p and 1440p.