980 SLI Benchmark doubts.

EliteSprrow

I am currently using a pair of GTX 980`s but I am noticing not so good performance at my games, specially at Battlefield 4 that sometimes makes freame rate drop to 30. 

Because of that, I benchmarked using the Metro Last Light tool and came here to ask you guys if the performance is fine?

Options: Resolution: 3840 x 2160; DirectX: DirectX 11; Quality: Very High; Texture filtering: AF 4X; Advanced PhysX: Enabled; Tesselation: Off; Motion Blur: Normal; SSAA: OFF;

Average Results

• Average Framerate: 37.00
  • Max. Framerate: 134.07
  • Min. Framerate: 8.44

My entire Rig is:

MOBO: Maximus VII formula

CPU: intel core i7 4790K

RAM: 16GB corsair

PSU: coolermaster TX850

I am actually using a pair of GTX 980`s but I am noticing not so good performance at my games, specially at Battlefield 4 that sometimes makes freame rate drop to 30. 

Because of that, I benchmarked using the Metro Last Light tool and came here to ask you guys if the performance is fine?

Average Results
  • Average Framerate: 37.00
  • Max. Framerate: 134.07
  • Min. Framerate: 8.44

My entire Rig is:

MOBO: Maximus VII formula

CPU: intel core i7 4790K

RAM: 16GB corsair

PSU: coolermaster TX850

That frame rate sounds fine if you have SSAA on 4x. You really should never use more than 2x

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

That frame rate sounds fine if you have SSAA on 4x. You really should never use more than 2x

Options: Resolution: 3840 x 2160; DirectX: DirectX 11; Quality: Very High; Texture filtering: AF 4X; Advanced PhysX: Enabled; Tesselation: Off; Motion Blur: Normal; SSAA: OFF;

SSAA is turned OFF

SSAA is turned OFF

Oh you were playing at 4k there? Yeah that's the same thing as 1080p with SSAA all the way up so it's fairly normal. Even with 2 980's I wouldn't expect great frame rates, however seeing that you have tesselation off, it does actually seem lower than normal. I would think it would average closer to 60 with those settings. Keep in mind the benchmark is more demanding than the actual game by a lot.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Oh you were playing at 4k there? Yeah that's the same thing as 1080p with SSAA all the way up so it's fairly normal. Even with 2 980's I wouldn't expect great frame rates, however seeing that you have tesselation off, it does actually seem lower than normal. I would think it would average closer to 60 with those settings. Keep in mind the benchmark is more demanding than the actual game by a lot.

Ok, I may contact the manufacturer, as 60-37 is a HUGE difference

SSAA is turned OFF

IMO get rid of advanced PhysX. 

Run it off a dedicated card or disable it completely only Batman and Borderlands properly use PhysX.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Ok, I may contact the manufacturer, as 60-37 is a HUGE difference

Well, I can't remember the last time I actually tried metro at 4k on my single card so I wouldn't just quite take it to the manufacturer just on my word. You should probably look around online to see some sli 980 benchmarks and see how they match up to more than just one game.

Haven't tried Battlefield 4 at 4k with my 2 980s but games on that sort of scale will hurt the cards. Metro LL maxed (no SSAA) gets similar frame rates as does AC4: Black Flag. 2 980s still isn't sufficient to max everything at 4k, you will need to turn the odd thing down.

IMO get rid of advanced PhysX. 

Run it off a dedicated card or disable it completely only Batman and Borderlands properly use PhysX.

Well, turning it off increased to 39 FPS, not much of a change

Haven't tried Battlefield 4 at 4k with my 2 980s but games on that sort of scale will hurt the cards. Metro LL maxed (no SSAA) gets similar frame rates as does AC4: Black Flag. 2 980s still isn't sufficient to max everything at 4k, you will need to turn the odd thing down.

Ok man, that is what I wanted to hear, someone using the same cards as me, maybe just let geforce experience do the work, trying to get a minimum of 60 FPS in every game.

Ok man, that is what I wanted to hear, someone using the same cards as me, maybe just let geforce experience do the work, trying to get minimum 60 FPS in every game.

Going to struggle with that at 4k to be honest. Is your monitor gsync? Found that it really helps for those drops even as low as 45-50fps

Going to struggle with that at 4k to be honest. Is your monitor gsync? Found that it really helps for those drops even as low as 45-50fps

No, it is not, when I bought mine I didnt know any monitors with g-sinc and 4K, going to stick with this rig for years, maybe later I change my monitor to some ew tecnology as well as my video cards xD, maybe 5 years from now.

(I am using Asus PB287Q)

If the game is too heavy, I can change to 1440p

Ran Metro LL Redux with those same settings:

Options: Resolution: 3840 x 1620; Quality: Very High; SSAA: Off; Texture filtering: AF 4X; Motion Blur: Normal; Tesselation: Off; VSync: Off; Advanced PhysX: On;

Average Framerate: 72.00

Max. Framerate: 197.16

Min. Framerate: 21.55

I think Redux is slightly more intensive then Metro LL.  We have pretty much the same setup and ran this setup with no overclock to the GPU's.  Only overclock is my CPU which is currently only 4.6GHz

Might want to check to see if anything is running in the background

I have a potato!

Don't put it down to 1440p. Interpolation will make it look fuzzy most likely.

Before I would say the cards have problems, I would check other things. Check GPUz and see if maybe your PCI slots say 3.0 and not 2.0. I have heard of some people running into that issue.

I have a potato!

Run a 3dmark firestrike run, see if its the game being lame or your cards, I get around 18,500 with my SLI GTX 980 set up.

Run a 3dmark firestrike run, see if its the game being lame or your cards, I get around 18,500 with my SLI GTX 980 set up.

What CPU are you running?  Those scores are stock settings right?  Overclocked I am at 21534.  My 780Ti's hit 19282. 

Edit:  Just looked at your profile, you are running a 4790k @ 4.5 GHz.  I am assuming those scores are with no overclock to the GPU's?

I have a potato!

What CPU are you running?  Those scores are stock settings right?  Overclocked I am at 21534.  My 780Ti's hit 19282. 

Edit:  Just looked at your profile, you are running a 4790k @ 4.5 GHz.  I am assuming those scores are with no overclock to the GPU's?

Yeah, no OC, just the standard built in boost.

Run it 1080 or 4K? Because only have the demo version, and the only option available is windowed at my resolution, pretty small.

Before I would say the cards have problems, I would check other things. Check GPUz and see if maybe your PCI slots say 3.0 and not 2.0. I have heard of some people running into that issue.

I think its all PCI-E 3.0

Run the presets already set for Firestrike. Should be 1080p but since you have a widescreen setup, black bars will be present on the sides

I have a potato!

Seems a bit low. I am going to lower my overclock on my cpu to 4.5 ghz and run no overclock on the GPU and see what scores I get.

I have a potato!

Seems a bit low. I am going to lower my overclock on my cpu to 4.5 ghz and run no overclock on the GPU and see what scores I get.

Ok, thank you

Incredible to see people willing to help like that.