Do I need more RAM or better CPU for faster computer?

Hi everyone.  I recently built my first PC, and I'm left wanting more.  I kept things really tame because I didn't want to splurge on my first build, but in retrospect, I think I was too conservative.  Anyway, I use the computer mostly for web browsing, MS office products, Citrix, and light photo editing.  The computer handles that fine, but I want it to be lightning fast in those simple day-to-day tasks.  In that regard, which of the components should I upgrade to see the most performance increase, ram or CPU?

• Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150
  • CPU: Intel Core i3-4370 3.8GHz Dual-Core Processor 
  • GPU: Sapphire R9 285 OC Edition
  • Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
  • PSU: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX
  • SSD: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5"
  • HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
  • HDD: Western Digital Green 640 GB 3.5" 7200RPM

Get another 4GB module of ram

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.8GHZGPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X (X2 - SLI)RAM: 24GB | Storage: 128GB 960 PRO M.2 SSD, 1TB & 750GB HDD | Operating System: Windows 10, MacOS High Sierra

• 1 year later...

All, as I mentioned in my OP about 1.5 years ago, I built my first PC with fairly entry level specs.  To increase the snappiness of the computer--especially in light of my basic computing needs--everyone's unanimous recommendation was to get another 4GB of ram to make things feel a little zippier.  It made a good difference.

I'm getting an itch again, and I'm wanting more speed (within reason, i.e., keeping same case and probably same mobo).  Yesterday, I was offloading pictures from a digital camera while simultaneously playing a locally stored 1080p video (offloaded from same camera months prior), and the video (on VLC) was glitching and stuttering like crazy.  When the transfer was done, the video played just fine.  Other things seem slower than they should.  For example, thumbnail loading on large picture and video folders and opening certain applications, etc.

What should I upgrade next?  I read that going from 8GB to 16GB ram won't make much of a difference for my needs.  What about processor?  Should I go to i5 or i7 (both are within budget). 

• Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150
  • CPU: Intel Core i3-4370 3.8GHz Dual-Core Processor 
  • GPU: Sapphire R9 285 OC Edition
  • Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
  • PSU: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX
  • SSD: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5"
  • HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
  • HDD: Western Digital Green 640 GB 3.5" 7200RPM

4 minutes ago, armaneo said:

I'm getting an itch again, and I'm wanting more speed (within reason, i.e., keeping same case and probably same mobo).  Yesterday, I was offloading pictures from a digital camera while simultaneously playing a locally stored 1080p video (offloaded from same camera months prior), and the video (on VLC) was glitching and stuttering like crazy.  When the transfer was done, the video played just fine.  Other things seem slower than they should.  For example, thumbnail loading on large picture and video files and opening certain applications, etc.

Defragment the hdds, also run tests on the hdds to make sure they aren't failing.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •