First impression of the new Chromebook Pixel 2015

jchenabc

I love the design of the laptop itself. Easily the best looking laptop in my opinion but that is just the style I like, nice sharp edges and no stupid curvy crap. However the whole Chromebook idea isn't what I want which is fine. If you could remove the SSD and replace it with your own I would be really happy because I would load W7 or Linux Mint on it and just use it to browse and watch stuff and do some light gaming. Maybe Google could release a version like that or something. 

If anyone could point me to a laptop that looks like the pixel or the pixel 2 and has descent specs, reasonable price and some changeable hardware I would be very thankfull. I have been looking for one for quite some time but no dice. 

It's actually not that hard to install windows on chromebooks anymore (atleast the once specified in this article) just make sure to look at the cons there not too bad but maybe something to consider http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-install-windows-chromebook/

Also i agree with the whole sharp thing i miss the powerbook G4 soooo much.

It's actually not that hard to install windows on chromebooks anymore (atleast the once specified in this article) just make sure to look at the cons there not too bad but maybe something to consider http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-install-windows-chromebook/

Also i agree with the whole sharp thing i miss the powerbook G4 soooo much.

90 degree angles turn me on. So do sharp edges. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Yeah.... no...

Why would you spend 1k on a chromebook? just no...

My HP Chromebook 11 is fine and it only cost me $300

My PC Specs: CPU: Core i5 4590 @ stock speeds, GPU: RX 480 8GB, RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz

Case: Zalman ZM-T4,Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-S2H LGA 1150, HDD/SSD: 2TB Seagate Expansion drive, 1TB Samsung Portable HDD, 160gb Intel SSD, PSU: 550w corsair cxm

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Lel. I'd rather get a Macbook Air at that price.

May end up doing that actually.

Chromebook pixel is like a macbook air, but with less storage, a slower gpu and a more useless OS...

Is Google becoming more Apple like? Soon the nexus phones will cost 500+ 

Edit: I see the nexus 6 is 599 euros lol

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

Is Google becoming more Apple like? Soon the nexus phones will cost 500+ 

Edit: I see the nexus 6 is 599 euros lol

The Pixel is a proof of concept.

The Nexus line is the embodiment of where Google wants other OEMs to go with their devices (also, they showcase a new OS, but that is irrelevant in this discussion). For the last ~2 years, it's been cheap devices that cut corners wherever possible, including design, while still giving flagship performance. This year, it's high-end iPhone/iPad competitors that feature high end specs AND design (well, the 6, at least. The 9 is rather uninspiring in the design department)- with a price to match. I believe this is a good idea, as "Android" in the public eye is synonymous with "cheap."

I think the reason the Nexus 6 didn't sell that well is because people either hated the screen size and bought the cheaper, more customizable Moto X 2014, or loved the screen size but bought the OnePlus One. I've only met one person IRL with a N6, and he said the only reason he bought it was because he couldn't get the OPO.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

The Pixel is a proof of concept.

The Nexus line is the embodiment of where Google wants other OEMs to go with their devices (also, they showcase a new OS, but that is irrelevant in this discussion). For the last ~2 years, it's been cheap devices that cut corners wherever possible, including design, while still giving flagship performance. This year, it's high-end iPhone/iPad competitors that feature high end specs AND design (well, the 6, at least. The 9 is rather uninspiring in the design department)- with a price to match. I believe this is a good idea, as "Android" in the public eye is synonymous with "cheap."

I think the reason the Nexus 6 didn't sell that well is because people either hated the screen size and bought the cheaper, more customizable Moto X 2014, or loved the screen size but bought the OnePlus One. I've only met one person IRL with a N6, and he said the only reason he bought it was because he couldn't get the OPO.

I was going to buy a Nexus 6 but when they announced the price I chose not to, I didn't care about the looks so much, just the performance and I think they should have stuck to it :/

Seen tons of Nexus 4's and 5's but no 6's...  

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

I was going to buy a Nexus 6 but when they announced the price I chose not to, I didn't care about the looks so much, just the performance and I think they should have stuck to it :/

Seen tons of Nexus 4's and 5's but no 6's...  

See, the vast majority of people DO care about looks. People like you and me are in the minority.

I've only seen one Galaxy Nexus, two N5's (one of which might not have been, I only got a fleeting glance) and the one N6 my friend has.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

Just like a mac pro. It looks nice, feels nice, but is not nice nor worth it.

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

Very interested in this little thing. It cost to much for my likings tho.

W1 | X4 965 | 4x2GB | HD7950 | 550w | 240GBx2

neat :)

rock on to all the chromeOS fans out there :D

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

You can easily install linux on it or simply run a full linux distro from within chrome os. After reading about crouton for chrome os I really plan on buying a pixel.

yeah this ^

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |