Other choices besides G3258

Could anyone help me what are the other choices for G3258 oc 4.5ghz?

Same price and speed.

No to amd

answer: none!!!

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

i3 if you can afford $30-40 extra

Other than that, nothing

RIP in pepperonis m8s

answer: none!!!

Good upgradable and overclockable i3? Nvm the budget

Well you can´t overclock any other chip in that price range. 

The other option (and better) is to get an i3 with a cheap h81 mobo, keep in mind that mobos DO NOT AFFECT PERFORMANCE IN ANY WAY and if you are happy with the number of usb ports on the back etc. then why not get that. If you decide to go with the pentium k you will need a z97 mobo which is a lot more expensive and you also loose 2 threads and hyperthreading compared to the i3.

TL;DR get the i3 and h81 mobo

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Good upgradable and overclockable i3? Nvm the budget

i3 are not OCable

the only OCable CPU is the i5 4670K/4690K

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Well you can´t overclock any other chip in that price range. 

The other option (and better) is to get an i3 with a cheap h81 mobo, keep in mind that mobos DO NOT AFFECT PERFORMANCE IN ANY WAY and if you are happy with the number of usb ports on the back etc. then why not get that. If you decide to go with the pentium k you will need a z97 mobo which is a lot more expensive and you also loose 2 threads and hyperthreading compared to the i3.

TL;DR get the i3 and h81 mobo

i3 are not OCable

the only OCable CPU is the i5 4670K/4690K

So maybe this.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZtCYt6

I5 4690(k) or 4670k

960 or 970

So maybe this.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZtCYt6

I5 4690(k) or 4670k

960 or 970

4690k and GTX970 all the way

4690k and GTX970 all the way

Well, is the mobo good for it?

So pull the trigger, save up money, use it for 10 years LOL

You don't NEED to overclock. You'd be better off with a locked i3.

Well, is the mobo good for it?

MSI Z97 PC Mate or Guard Pro

for SLi boards MSI Z97 SLi Krait 

You don't NEED to overclock. You'd be better off with a locked i3.

Specify the model

Specify the model

Pretty much the only difference between the models is a few MHz here and there. Get the cheapest thing you can find.

Microcenter has 4690k's for $199 (althought that might be only in-store purchases)

Cheapest mobo is probably msi's pc mate. - $90

use on board graphics until you save up for a gtx 960 or better.  

If your budget is really low, I'd go with an i3..  the g3258 can be overclocked but the i3's are still going to be better and the motherboard options will save you money if you go with an older model.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k   GPU: MSI GTX 960 OC   PSU: Seasonic 750 Watt   Mobo: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition   Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro White   RAM: HyperX Fury 8Gb   SSD: Intel 730 240Gb   HDD: WD Black 1Tb   Cooler: Phanteks TC12DX   Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000   Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3   Monitor: Acer IPS 24" (x2)

I don't know why so many people refuse to look at AMD.  For the money... there's really no contest; amd has the on board graphics/low price side of the market perfected.  The motherboards are cheaper, the graphics are better, and the cpu might not be as good but close enough, and you can upgrade.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k   GPU: MSI GTX 960 OC   PSU: Seasonic 750 Watt   Mobo: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition   Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro White   RAM: HyperX Fury 8Gb   SSD: Intel 730 240Gb   HDD: WD Black 1Tb   Cooler: Phanteks TC12DX   Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000   Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3   Monitor: Acer IPS 24" (x2)

I don't know why so many people refuse to look at AMD. For the money... there's really no contest; amd has the on board graphics/low price side of the market perfected. The motherboards are cheaper, the graphics are better, and the cpu might not be as good but close enough, and you can upgrade.

@Faceman might have something to say about that low price point comment...

PROJECT MOGARCPU: i5 4690k @ 4.9 Ghz CPU CoolerCorsair H100i in Pull on top Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming GT GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Edition RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB) 2133 Mhz  PSU: EVGA G2 850W SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250 GB HDD: WD Black 1TB Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Scout II

when you consider the onboard graphics, the motherboard, and the cpu..  amd has better affordable options, no?

I don't even have an AMD system, so it's not a fanboy type of comment..  It just seems evident to me.  Maybe I'm wrong.

when you consider the onboard graphics, the motherboard, and the cpu..  amd has better affordable options, no?

I don't even have an AMD system, so it's not a fanboy type of comment..  It just seems evident to me.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Onboard graphics, so I'm assuming you're talking about APU's?

1. Onboard graphics are useless with a video card that's not something like a R7 240/250 (dual graphics)

2. Single threaded performance of ALL AMD CPU's/APU's is abysmal compared to Haswell

3. FM2+ has barely any upgradability (Z97 you can go from G3258/i3 all the way up to i7 4790k, HUGE performance gap).

If you meant FX (doesn't have iGPU)

1. FX63/83xx require decent motherboards to be reliable ($80+, you can get H81 motherboard for $40 which will run any LGA 1150 CPU just fine)

2. Again, horrible single threaded performance which is bad for the current state of gaming (may be better when DX12 comes, but you don't lay out in the sun not caring about skin cancer because there will probably be a cure in a few years, do you?)

3. Again, no upgradability. 

Sources/benchmarks in sig.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Onboard graphics, so I'm assuming you're talking about APU's?

1. Onboard graphics are useless with a video card that's not something like a R7 240/250 (dual graphics)

2. Single threaded performance of ALL AMD CPU's/APU's is abysmal compared to Haswell

3. FM2+ has barely any upgradability (Z97 you can go from G3258/i3 all the way up to i7 4790k, HUGE performance gap).

If you meant FX (doesn't have iGPU)

1. FX63/83xx require decent motherboards to be reliable ($80+, you can get H81 motherboard for $40 which will run any LGA 1150 CPU just fine)

2. Again, horrible single threaded performance which is bad for the current state of gaming (may be better when DX12 comes, but you don't lay out in the sun not caring about skin cancer because there will probably be a cure in a few years, do you?)

3. Again, no upgradability. 

Sources/benchmarks in sig.

I meant APU's.  You're probably right, you know more than me.  But, upgrades probably aren't important if someone is on that low of a budget.  And you're assuming gaming.  I don't know about the OP.. maybe he plays games, maybe he doesn't.  

But the APU onboard graphics are better than intel on board graphics, are they not?  I could be wrong but I thought that was the case.

But the APU onboard graphics are better than intel on board graphics, are they not?  I could be wrong but I thought that was the case.

That's assuming that the OP would not be gaming, if they are gaming then the power of the iGPU would only be relevant if they were not buying a GPU soon after building the system or when they build the system. And you are very wrong about upgrades not being important people on a budget, it's quite the opposite. You don't want to build a system for cheap only to completely replace it later, you want to be able to upgrade it and AMD platforms have a non-existent/limited upgrade path. On the FM2+ platform the "Top Range" option is the 7850k which is no faster on the CPU side than an Athlon 860k(note the price difference between the two). On the AM3+ platform you only get more cores when you get a "higher end" CPU with the performance staying relatively the same across the board on per core performance.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

If someone is buying an i3 or an APU I'm assuming they're not also getting a $350 graphics card.  

I've heard Linus say before..  if you want an entry level system for gaming, and don't want to buy a graphics card, buy an APU.  Intel mops the floor with it for cpu computing, but the opposite is true for GPU performance.

But even the FX series is cheaper.  Of course it's not as good, but some people don't have the option to "just spend an extra $100" or whatever.  An fx8350 ($170), board ($90) and r9 270 ($170) is a very adequate system for gaming on very acceptable settings.  Thats about $430

The Intel option.. an i5 4690k ($240) board ($90) gtx 960 ($200) is a good $100 more.  Granted, its a better system, but that extra $100 might not be negotiable for some people.

If someone is buying an i3 or an APU I'm assuming they're not also getting a $350 graphics card.  

I've heard Linus say before..  if you want an entry level system for gaming, and don't want to buy a graphics card, buy an APU.  Intel mops the floor with it for cpu computing, but the opposite is true for GPU performance.

But even the FX series is cheaper.  Of course it's not as good, but some people don't have the option to "just spend an extra $100" or whatever.  An fx8350 ($170), board ($90) and r9 270 ($170) is a very adequate system for gaming on very acceptable settings.  Thats about $430

The Intel option.. an i5 4690k ($240) board ($90) gtx 960 ($200) is a good $100 more.  Granted, its a better system, but that extra $100 might not be negotiable for some people.

Amd APU's are garbage 

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2