Windows home server 2011 compatibility with windows 8

Go to solution Solved by AndrewReaganM,

Works perfectly. I had to restore my system completely the other day (Windows 8.1 killed my entire OS). Windows Home Server is epic though. I got the CD, put the network card driver for my Sabertooth Z77 on a flash drive and it restored flawlessly. If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask!

-Andrew

I am reading mixed results on certain compatibility. Will windows home server 2011 work with windows 8?

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

I have 2 Windows 8 machines as clients for Windows Home Server 2011 (They were also clients with WHS v1 before I migrated my server).

Is there some particular issue you're worried about?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Works perfectly. I had to restore my system completely the other day (Windows 8.1 killed my entire OS). Windows Home Server is epic though. I got the CD, put the network card driver for my Sabertooth Z77 on a flash drive and it restored flawlessly. If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask!

-Andrew

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 (2x SP120 Quiet Edition)  Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz  PSU: Corsair AX850  GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB

Ok here is a list of questions that I feel that I need answers to to be able to make some important decisions on my latest build.

1. When making a server build with raid, do all the hard drives need to be the same provider and memory size and everything else about them?

2. Im planning on making my server be able to accept and deliver content/files to and from different devices capable of sending and receiving files from WHS 2011 server.

3. How do I do a wired connection for the server to transfer files?

4. Since it is gonna be a server, I would like it if it could use a server rack case.

5. If it will be contained in a server rack case, which one would be best? I need it to hold plenty of 3.5 drives and a raid card if I will be doing raid on the server.

6. Which raid is best for storing and streaming files to and from wirelessly (or wired)?

7. When I install WHS 2011, do I need a flashdrive to do it? Do I need a monitor and disc drive? keyboard and mouse? external disc drive?

8. I need some kind of easy non-expensive way to install os to the server and configure all settings that I need to do.

9. Since I will be streaming HD vids/movies, Which cpu is best?

10. If a hard drive fails, how do I determine which one is the failed drive without accidentally replacing a gd drive and not the bad one?

11. I would like the server rack chassis to how drive doors that are like the icydock multi drive doors. (if ya know what Im trying to say).

12. When I figureout which drive failed on screen, how do I find out which one in the chassis failed? (again, if ya know what im tryin to say).

13. Which ram type/capacity is best for 10 users on server? (reason I ask this question is cause I plan on giving TRUSTED friends and family the licenses, and in any given day/time they all choose to get on same time, I need ram to support it. I say this because I heard that use ram amounts that support how ever many users are on same time.)

14. Which type of multi-terabyte drive is best for always on?

15. Which type of psu is best for always on?

16. What is the difference between all the numbered rpm's and intellipower rpm's?

17. Which 3.5 mutli-terabyte hdd has longest lifespan for always on servers, capable for raid, and has at least gd data transfer rates.

18. What raid card is best for server raid?

Sorry for so many questions, I just know sooo little about servers, WHS 2011, and raid.

Thanks again to anyone who can answer any of those questions I listed.

Edited by Xtreme Gamer

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu