Slow internet speeds on only one computer

CaptainRagu

We pay for 150 down 30 up.

My girlfriends laptop gets these speeds.

My much nicer desktop gets 80 down 9 up.

We have found that it isnt fault of the router, the wire or the isp, but my computer.

Are there any programs which would cause this? Ive read that AMD quickstream allocates bandwidth and would cause this but I don't have this program. So are there others similar to this which could cause this?

Thanks!

Are you on Wi-FI or with a cable on your desktop? If Wi-Fi it could be the card can not handle those speeds. I am assuming that you are hardwired since you mentioned the "cables" you can open the resource monitor and click on the networking tab and see if anything is sucking up bandwidth in the background.

Main rig: i7 4790k, Cooler H55, EVGA GTX 980, Corsair Obsidian 250D, ASRock H97M-ITX/ac, G.Skill 8GB, 500GB 840 EVO, 1TB WD Black

Server:  HP DL380 G5 8x 300GB 10k Sata drives, 2x e5460 32GB Ram

NAS: Synology DS213 with 2 2TB WD Red Drives

Are you on Wi-FI or with a cable on your desktop? If Wi-Fi it could be the card can not handle those speeds. I am assuming that you are hardwired since you mentioned the "cables" you can open the resource monitor and click on the networking tab and see if anything is sucking up bandwidth in the background.

Not likely. The standard is up to 150Mbps for WiFi USB and PCIe adapters.

Probably 5 feet. The router is next to the PC.

But the thing is the same cord connected to the laptop results in the proper speeds. So it's my computer.

download your LAN drivers?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Probably 5 feet. The router is next to the PC.

But the thing is the same cord connected to the laptop results in the proper speeds. So it's my computer.

Something is most likely eating up the bandwidth. Very strange, as I pay for 50 down, 15 up and get 65 down, 15 up on my AMD system, so it's not likely a problem.

Did you test both of them at separate or the same time? Also, check task manger for network utilization. Check what's using the network (may be Steam, Windows update, antivirus).

download your LAN drivers?

I did when I built the rig. Maybe they need to be updated? It's only a few months old.

Something is most likely eating up the bandwidth. Very strange, as I pay for 50 down, 15 up and get 65 down, 15 up on my AMD system, so it's not likely a problem.

Did you test both of them at separate or the same time? Also, check task manger for network utilization. Check what's using the network (may be Steam, Windows update, antivirus).

Tested separately. Task manager says 0% network utilization.

I did when I built the rig. Maybe they need to be updated? It's only a few months old.

Very strange problem. 

You have antivirus, I hope.

Hm.

I'd try disabling your antivirus. It might be processing everything coming through too slowly.

Sig under construction.

Very strange problem. 

You have antivirus, I hope.

Yeah it's unlike anything ive ever seen before.

I run Norton 360 which I know some people disagree with but its never let me down. I may look into an anit-maleware just to see if that helps.

Yeah it's unlike anything ive ever seen before.

I run Norton 360 which I know some people disagree with but its never let me down. I may look into an anit-maleware just to see if that helps.

Look at AVG free. Great program that I swear by.

An update. When I restart in safe mode with networking and run the speed test again, everything is fine, 150 down 30 up.

Turn off safe mode and test again, back to 80 down 9 up.

So it's some program, the question is what could do this.

An update. When I restart in safe mode with networking and run the speed test again, everything is fine, 150 down 30 up.

Turn off safe mode and test again, back to 80 down 9 up.

So it's some program, the question is what could do this.

Hm.

I'd try disabling your antivirus. It might be processing everything coming through too slowly.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Look at AVG free. Great program that I swear by.

AVG Free is great. Apart from MalwareBytes, it's the only antivirus/antimalware I've actually used.

Sig under construction.

I FOUND IT

Hopefully people will google search and find this answer for years to come.

I uninstalled and reinstalled my lan driver, and in doing so the program "Killer Network Manager" poped up. With MSI motherboards it is the program used to run network connections (I guess?) and the very first thing I see on the front page is "bandwidth control".

Somewhere along the line it probably got set to a lower setting. Now that I have it maxed out my internet is running at the proper speed.

Not likely. The standard is up to 150Mbps for WiFi USB and PCIe adapters.

Unless he has a b/g wifi adapter, which only goes to 54, but it doesn't really matter since he's wired.

If you can you should mark this as solved will help for people searching for problems to know quicker.@CaptainRagu

Main rig: i7 4790k, Cooler H55, EVGA GTX 980, Corsair Obsidian 250D, ASRock H97M-ITX/ac, G.Skill 8GB, 500GB 840 EVO, 1TB WD Black

Server:  HP DL380 G5 8x 300GB 10k Sata drives, 2x e5460 32GB Ram

NAS: Synology DS213 with 2 2TB WD Red Drives