Silicon Lottery

marioo1182

Well, looks like I won the silicon lottery.

Although I may not be talking about Intel i7's, my small chips propagation delay was only 9.8nS. 

Typical values are usually above 20nS. 

For those that don't know, the propagation delay is the time between input and output response.

F0000TEK_zpsmsd87mha.jpg

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

Well, looks like I won the silicon lottery.

Although I may not be talking about Intel i7's, my small chips propagation delay was only 9.8nS. 

Typical values are usually above 20nS. 

For those that don't know, the propagation delay is the time between input and output response.

What silicon is this if you aren't referring to processor silicon?

Edit: You gotta follow your topics, marioo1182

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Umm explain more, since Silicon Lottery is based on the max frequency that you can hit on your CPU(i.e. Overclock) with a safe amount of voltage.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

u wot m8

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

grats on winning the lottery!

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

What silicon is this if you aren't referring to processor silicon?

Edit: You gotta follow your topics, marioo1182

Thanks, forgot to follow. 

And yes it is a silicon chip, it is just not a computer chip. It's used on breadboards.

Umm explain more, since Silicon Lottery is based on the max frequency that you can hit on your CPU(i.e. Overclock) with a safe amount of voltage.

Max frequency is actually directly related to propagation delay. Same thing though.

LinusGGtips

Thanks, forgot to follow. 

And yes it is a silicon chip, it is just not a computer chip. It's used on breadboards.

Max frequency is actually directly related to propagation delay. Same thing though.

Silicon Lottery is only ever in reference to CPU clock, however.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Silicon Lottery is only ever in reference to CPU clock, however.

Your clock speed is a frequency. GigaHERTZ. Hertz is the frequency. Cycles per second.

The shorter the propagation delay, the higher the frequency, the better the silicon.

LinusGGtips

Your clock speed is a frequency. GigaHERTZ. Hertz is the frequency. Cycles per second.

The shorter the propagation delay, the higher the frequency, the better the silicon.

Not my point... Your IC chip isn't the silicon that the "Silicon lottery" is referring to.

Not my point... Your IC chip isn't the silicon that the "Silicon lottery" is referring to.

Why do you say that? I ended up with a faster chip than usually; due to the silicon inside.

At the same voltage I ended up with a higher clock; i.e. I won the silicon lottery?

If you're saying my silicon isn't the silicon it is referring to, I disagree. What silicon is it referring to then?

LinusGGtips

Silicon lottery in the processor sense means how far a CPU's multiplier can be pushed within a voltage threshold that is considered "safe" for the processor. Most of the time, the silicon lottery doesn't affect things that much, with the recent Devil's Canyon CPUs topping out at around 4.7-4.8GHz. Mileage varies between each individual chip, but it's generally quite a small standard deviation.

Sandy Bridge processors are among the most famous for overclocking, able to push 5GHz stable within relatively safe voltages.

And people say I can't take a joke...

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

hey if I can overclock my current e2140 Pentium from 1.6ghz 2 2.13ghz is that winning ? or regular 4 the unit ?

When i'm not playing PC games i'm playing with my PC parts  Fans,Pumps,Filters,  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

hey if I can overclock my current e2140 Pentium from 1.6ghz 2 2.13ghz is that winning ? or regular 4 the unit ?

Average air OC is 3GHz for those :)

Average air OC is 3GHz for those :)

maybe but iv got "arctic freezer 11 LP" on it so that said 2.13ghz how is that number now ? 

When i'm not playing PC games i'm playing with my PC parts  Fans,Pumps,Filters,  :wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Noice, didn't know about this. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

I'd still prefer to see the info displayed in the tradition matter

That graph doesn't excited my inner geek