i7 4790k/i5 4690k heat issues

Go to solution Solved by Analog,

looks like I got 1.239v and max load, also, this cooler is for stock speeds, not over clocking, and I use A silver 5, this should be more then enough for good stock temps

The stock voltage for that chip is as follows:

1.00-1.10V at 4GHz

1.10-1.15V at 4.2GHz

1.20V at 4.4GHz

so, I have now spent literally 3 weeks on computers... first 2 dealing with my amd build that had audio issues and lacked performace per dollar hell,

now I have this and finished it 2 days ago and have had issues but luckly, its all working great EXCEPT (which I have been working on for this entire weekend none stop)

HEAT!

my damn cpu was going up to 100c

so I pulled the cooler off 5 times (literally) used 2 different thermal pastes, 3 different methods, and played with XMP and used 1866 mem and my 2400 for this build as well as running it at 1333 base, played with turbo, ect ect....

I found tons and tons and tons of articles about this even on intels site which THEY dont even have a clear answer for

I finally go them temps hovering around mid too upper 70s with max at 86 on the hottest core (core 1 from 0-3) but only as a very short spike, its usually in the same range as the others it just seems to get higher temps by like a degree or 2 on average

and ot idles at about 33 to 36 give or take but this better then 40 then where is was before, I achieved this fiddling around with thermal paste and down clocking its turbo to a limit of 4.3 rather then 4.4

regardless its an issue and from what I see a common one and have no idea how to get it to be normal, unless ofcourse these are normal temps for an aircooled 4790k

what I am guessing is bios is running the volts to high for whatever reason but it would be nice to find something on how to negate this effect.

here is the build

• CPU Intel Core i7-4790K
  • Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-G1.Sniper Z97 LGA 1150 Intel Z97
  • RAM G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)
  • Case Thermaltake Armor Reve Gene White Mid Tower
  • Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO with AS 5 w/ 120 Coolermaster rad fans in push/pull for CPU, 2 (side and front intake) 200mm thermaltake 1 Black reg/1 Blue LED case fans, Corsair Air purple LED 140mm + 2 120mm AF (top and back)exhaust, Corsair air SP 120mm purple LED(bottom) intake
  • Operating System Windows 7 OEM sp1
anyone who has this fix I will sell you my sister

lol

check the voltages and clock speeds, maybe for a weird reason the mobo overvolted the cpu

i await your sister :P

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

I have seen Z97 boards overvolting the processor when the adaptive voltage option is enabled. I would go and check that first. Assigning a manual voltage is always best. Also that CPU cooler and thermal paste are not really that good so don't expect any miracles. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

what are you using to stress test it

and buy a hyper 212 evo

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

check the voltages and clock speeds, maybe for a weird reason the mobo overvolted the cpu

i await your sister :P

well thats what I figured but I cannot find anything clear to base the voltages off of, I ran AMD stuff for years until there CPU R&D decided to retire to the Florida keys and play shuffle board with Grandpa and Bridge with Grandma, so I am kinda back in newb realm

and buy a hyper 212 evo

did you read the cooling part of my specs?

and buy a hyper 212 evo

Intel extreme and OCCT, I dont use prime 95 for this CPU since its known to really not be haswell friendly

HWinfo, Gigabyte app and intel for temps

did you read the cooling part of my specs?

no i didnt see that, usually people put cooling near the CPU not in the middle of a wall of text :P

can you upgrade to a better cooler like an NH-D14?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Intel extreme and OCCT, I dont use prime 95 for this CPU since its known to really not be haswell friendly

HWinfo, Gigabyte app and intel for temps

Those stress tests hit CPUs hard. Even so check how your voltage is set in the BIOS.

Prime 95 is all good. Apparently it has been good for the past year. 

Adjust everything in the BIOS, instead of using the gigabyte app. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Those stress tests hit CPUs hard. Even so check how your voltage is set in the BIOS.

Prime 95 is all good. Apparently it has been good for the past year. 

Adjust everything in the BIOS, instead of using the gigabyte app. 

I just use it for a reference monitor I dont do adjustments in it

I have seen Z97 boards overvolting the processor when the adaptive voltage option is enabled. I would go and check that first. Assigning a manual voltage is always best. Also that CPU cooler and thermal paste are not really that good so don't expect any miracles. 

looks like I got 1.239v and max load, also, this cooler is for stock speeds, not over clocking, and I use A silver 5, this should be more then enough for good stock temps

oh and before I get flak for this I did get a K series to overclock, i just havent got the watercooler yet because I wanted to make sure something wasnt stupid with my system before over clocking...

this is one of those issues tho

1.00-1.10V at 4GHz

1.10-1.15V at 4.2GHz

1.20V at 4.4GHz

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Sounds like you may have an unlucky chip. Either get a better CPU cooler, or drop your overclocks a bit

I've had the same issues w/ a Corsair H100i, the temperatures just aren't all that great.

OS:Windows 10 Pro |  CPU:Intel Core i7 4790k | GPU:ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) | MoBo:ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Storage: 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2) | Monitors:Acer XB270HU/ASUS VH238H | Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma w/ Razer Greens | Mouse:Razer Deathadder Chroma | Headset:BeyerDynamic DT990Pro w/ Antlion Modmic

1.00-1.10V at 4GHz

1.10-1.15V at 4.2GHz

1.20V at 4.4GHz

@Analog your amazing

at 4.4 my temps dropped 10 degrees in OCCT with hottest core only spiking to 84 max vs 94

should my memory be at 1.5 or 1.65, apparently intel dont like anything over 1.5 on this chip yet many people do it with the 4770k and 90

anyother hint would be great, apparently these mobos need bios updates, but mine is completely updated on this board

Sounds like you may have an unlucky chip. Either get a better CPU cooler, or drop your overclocks a bit

no man this is at stock, there is like posts and complaints about this on the intel website 6 ways from sunday

a very common issue except with people who got best of the best chips, even then those arnt really all that great

Intel just needs to be better with the damn thermal compound in there chips or recommend these to be watercooled, atleast AMD hints at you with there 9000 series and doesnt include a heatsink as a wink that is needs some serious cooling, and z97 mobos need a voltage fix on these higher end boards

@Analog your amazing

at 4.4 my temps dropped 10 degrees in OCCT with hottest core only spiking to 84 max vs 94

should my memory be at 1.5 or 1.65, apparently intel dont like anything over 1.5 on this chip yet many people do it with the 4770k and 90

anyother hint would be great, apparently these mobos need bios updates, but mine is completely updated on this board

Intel only officially supports RAM which uses 1.5V or less. So the answer would be - 1.5V if you can. This will avoid putting unwanted strain on the integrated memory controller. Switching to some more efficient thermal compound like the MX-4 will shave a couple of degrees off as well. 

Intel only officially supports RAM which uses 1.5V or less. So the answer would be - 1.5V if you can. This will avoid putting unwanted strain on the integrated memory controller. Switching to some more efficient thermal compound like the MX-4 will shave a couple of degrees off as well. 

I got the memory volts stable so far at 1.56 with 2400, havent tested it lower yet, sofar I got the 4.4 as low as 1.88 left is there because the heat isnt drastically changing and the highest temp I got was an 84 spike on the hottest core but generally none of the cores go over 80/81 in OCCT, or over 78 in intel extreme tune

Ill buy some MX4 and I will probably get an h100i too here in a few days, honestly, the mounting of this cooler makes me want to throw it on railroad tracks

I thought Artic sliver 5 was good?

Nope, mediocre at best. ;)

100C? are you sure you installed the heatsink correctly? and is the sensor for the mobo correct?

Ryzen 9 5900x | x570 TUF Gaming Pro Wifi | 32gb GSkill 4x8gb @3000mhz CL15 | ASUS Strix RX480 8gb | XFX 750W psu | Cosair H100i GTX | Fractal Design R5

Drop ENTR Halo True | Logitech G900 Choas Spectrum | Blue-Yeti | AKG k553 Pro

it is fine, but you have to allow the TIM to cure through heat cycling

Important Reminder:

Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is complete, the computer can be left on if desired.

source: http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

i've found using Arctic Cooling MX-4 or Nocta NT-H1 the cure times are under 60-minutes.

and also being non-conductive. AS5 is not non-conductive.

so, I have now spent literally 3 weeks on computers... first 2 dealing with my amd build that had audio issues and lacked performace per dollar hell,

now I have this and finished it 2 days ago and have had issues but luckly, its all working great EXCEPT (which I have been working on for this entire weekend none stop)

HEAT!

my damn cpu was going up to 100c

so I pulled the cooler off 5 times (literally) used 2 different thermal pastes, 3 different methods, and played with XMP and used 1866 mem and my 2400 for this build as well as running it at 1333 base, played with turbo, ect ect....

I found tons and tons and tons of articles about this even on intels site which THEY dont even have a clear answer for

I finally go them temps hovering around mid too upper 70s with max at 86 on the hottest core (core 1 from 0-3) but only as a very short spike, its usually in the same range as the others it just seems to get higher temps by like a degree or 2 on average

and ot idles at about 33 to 36 give or take but this better then 40 then where is was before, I achieved this fiddling around with thermal paste and down clocking its turbo to a limit of 4.3 rather then 4.4

regardless its an issue and from what I see a common one and have no idea how to get it to be normal, unless ofcourse these are normal temps for an aircooled 4790k

what I am guessing is bios is running the volts to high for whatever reason but it would be nice to find something on how to negate this effect.

here is the build

• CPU Intel Core i7-4790K
  • Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-G1.Sniper Z97 LGA 1150 Intel Z97
  • RAM G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200)
  • Case Thermaltake Armor Reve Gene White Mid Tower
  • Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO with AS 5 w/ 120 Coolermaster rad fans in push/pull for CPU, 2 (side and front intake) 200mm thermaltake 1 Black reg/1 Blue LED case fans, Corsair Air purple LED 140mm + 2 120mm AF (top and back)exhaust, Corsair air SP 120mm purple LED(bottom) intake
  • Operating System Windows 7 OEM sp1
anyone who has this fix I will sell you my sister

lol

My swedish friend had this same problem on his i7-4770 (non k). He had a new graphics card put in by a computer workshop (he's not a techie) and they forgot to plug in his case fans. I had to teach him how to reconnect them over webcam

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

it is fine, but you have to allow the TIM to cure through heat cycling

i've found using Arctic Cooling MX-4 or Nocta NT-H1 the cure times are under 60-minutes.

and also being non-conductive. AS5 is not non-conductive.

I just switched to H100i and wow, it dropped my system temps another 10 degrees, they hover in the 60s with the hottest core only ever touching 74 max using a small data set

I pick up some nano diamond 7 but I am just using the h100i stock compound as I heard it was good

yeah I alway cure the AS5 for about an hour or so

and I see you live in north little rock,  I lived at Lakewood House (the one tall building on the hill) for about a year in 2013 xD

and I see you live in north little rock,  I lived at Lakewood House (the one tall building on the hill) for about a year in 2013 xD

i live in a house on north hills just past the LKD house (justin mathews area). small world.

100C? are you sure you installed the heatsink correctly? and is the sensor for the mobo correct?

yes, trust me

it sound strange but it is actually a wide spread issue with the 4790k and 4690k

here is an example on intels site

https://communities.intel.com/thread/54032

here is an example, apparently the internal tim used is good, but not good for the standard mobo voltage and 4.4 its clocked at, I got them to safer temps... by either down clocking the vcore too just under 1.200 or taking it down too 4.3 clock on each core, the wide spread thought it the internal is not fully meeting the heat plate

I solved this tho just switching too an h100i and downclocking the volts

if you look at jayz two cents dude guy, he even had trouble with this when he put his 4790k in a z87 board and it stock clocked it at 1.5v

as shown here

there is apparently some mobo bios setting issues as well and communication with intels Devils Canyon, even on the z97 which I had no bios updates on this board

Intel.............sodder your sheet!

further more,

intel doesnt want you using memory over 1600 at 1.5 volts

I tested this and there is definiantly a difference in temps, I dropped them down to the low 80s just dropping the ram down with lower chips

it is possible to run mem at 2400 but I wouldnt go higher as for that seemed to be the ceiling and I had to do some tweeking to match temps via memory, which down clocked it at 1.56 volts and seemed to be stable with this set up.

i live in a house on north hills just past the LKD house (justin mathews area). small world.

Ik right, that is crazy haha

could you change the title to "i7 4790k/i5 4690k heat issues" just so people can use this to help them since this is a widespread issue?

@airdeano