Are you ready for a build-your-own smartphone? Motorola thinks so

Jeffrey Chiu_081

is saw the title and was like fck yess fck yess fckyess 

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

the only reason why you can build a pc using any parts is that there are  standards that companies can follow .if motorola can come up with standards for everything in phones this would be so epic 

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 4.2GHz Quad-Core    CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid     Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150   Memory Patriot Viper 3 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600     Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" SSD     Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM    Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB   Case Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower   Power Supply Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V  Optical Drive none Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 ultimate

or now read the article well not exactly what i was thinking but it is cool (was thinking that we would be able to buy  chassis and buy a standard made motherboard with whatever soc soldered on and put whatever compatible sensor and build the smart phone same way we build pc) 

Not too interested in building my own smartphone but what I really want someone to prioritize are some actual laptop standards. I know you can buy barebones kits but that's not nearly the same level of customization that I would like.

I would love to be able to put my own smartphone together, I am only worried that you would get gouged on component prices, similar to if you try to buy a replacement part for a laptop. It would have to be rather cheaper than buying a full device for me to do it though.

Reading the article, it appears to be "put together the order, and we'll build it".

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I'm sure there was a German company that done this a few years ago. I hope that it really does become mainstream tho.

|i5 3570k @4.4Ghz | Asus Maximus V Gene | 8gb Corsair XMS3 | 2 x MSI HD7970 OC @ 1175mhz | 512gb Crucial M4 | Corsair AX750 | Fractal Design Define Mini | Dell P2416D 

Uh... yeah... I'd say this is just external design, the actual Motorola graphic doesn't indicate customisable spec as all. Journalism is terrible. The 'X phone' may now be real, but there's still nothing confirmed about it.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

building a phone would likely be terrible. unlike a PC, the space constraints are so tight that standards are practically impossible to create or utterly useless to apply. Like custom building a laptop for instance, the motherboard layout of nearly every motherboard is different to deal with the different heat, space, price and other requirements of the laptop/phone specifically. It's a cool idea but probably impossible to pull off. User replaceable (and 3rd party modifiable) components are excellent though and i would love to see that explode (want moar battery life on my nexus 4)

(ughh multiple posts going through at once)

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Yeah this stuff is all just cosmetic from what I've read.

Here's a better article to read up on this (imo)

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

sorry dbl post

dang it triple post

Isn't the only thing you can change is the removable back, engraved name and you can send in your wallpaper when you buy it online any they apply it before you open it.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

I've always been an Apple guy, but I'll switch to this without hesitation.

Main Rig:  FX-8320 || EVGA 650 Ti BOOST || AsRock 970 Extreme3 || Corsair 800D || 8 Gb Crucial Ballistix || Antec HCG 520M || Noctua NH-D14
LAN Party Rig: FX-4100 || EVGA 550 Ti || ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS || Cooler Master 430 Elite || 4 Gb Corsair Vengeance || Antec HCG 400 || Cooler Master Gemin 2 
Staples EasyTech Associate since September, 2013

We can forget about ever being able to build our own phones like we can with PCs, the market for that is too small and the disadvantages of such a product are way too great. What Motoraola means is that you can tell them the back colour and such minor things and they'll build it for you.

Not a huge fan on building your own phone like building a computer. They are probably not allowing returns on these phones because these are custom made.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I would love to be able to put my own smartphone together, I am only worried that you would get gouged on component prices, similar to if you try to buy a replacement part for a laptop. It would have to be rather cheaper than buying a full device for me to do it though.

Reading the article, it appears to be "put together the order, and we'll build it".

More info is most certainly needed but initially it sounds great, reselling used ones will be a bitch though unless they are extremely popular, HTC One popular :/

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

knew it will come with a price

This is totally awesome!

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

I'll wait for the service to actually launch and for product reviews to start coming. Until then, I'm just curious.

I doubt it's what ANYONE is thinking

these phones are built on a single PCB, customizing it with CPU's and GPU's will definitely not happen ok, just get that out of the way, if they are thinking of "build your own phone" It's highly likely they will appeal to the common market, not the enthusiast market share, so it will be stuff like phone color, storage capacity, hardware interface (<-doubt that one will happen) so yeah, don't get your hopes high for this