I JUST SAW FIRE

AStateOfTrance

I am trying to hook up some corsair sp140 case coolers I tried plugging in a splitter because there isn't enough 3 pin connectors on the motherboard and when I turned it on I saw a little flare. I removed the splitter. Is it safe to turn the computer back on? Stuck here please anyone

Where was the flare?

Did you remember to de-energize the system before working on it?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I am trying to hook up some corsair sp140 case coolers I tried plugging in a splitter because there isn't enough 3 pin connectors on the motherboard and when I turned it on I saw a little flare. I removed the splitter. Is it safe to turn the computer back on? Stuck here please anyone

i think the question you should be asking is if it will still turn on. If it happened because of the fan splitter, you should be fine to start it without it attached. It probably shorted out so hopefully your motherboard is ok.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Where was the flare?

I couldn't exactly tell I got pretty scared. It was around the are of the pins

did the flare come from the MOBO or the splitter?

I couldn't exactly tell I got pretty scared. It was around the are of the pins

How many watts is your power supply and what are your parts?

did you push two of the fan header pins together while you were trying to connect the splitter?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

A_GgK9T9.jpeg

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

Now I have all these extension cables I'm scared to plug, and the fan on the top of the case won't work because it doesn't have any way to connect to any of the 3 pin connectors, well it probably does but I just don't know.

When working on a PC please unplug the damn thing and not just power it off. Now you have to check and see if you shorted any connectors on the motherboard. Remove the splitter and then plug in the cord and see if any damage is done, it is the only way to know.

If everything is ok then, unplug the power cord and hock the splitter back and then the fans unless the "flare" came from the fans then i would send it back.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

When working on a PC please unplug the damn thing and not just power it off. Now you have to check and see if you shorted any connectors on the motherboard. Remove the splitter and then plug in the cord and see if any damage is done, it is the only way to know.

If everything is ok then, unplug the power cord and hock the splitter back and then the fans unless the "flare" came from the fans then i would send it back.

Lol your thing on avatar and the title makes this look very serious lol

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

It was unplugged. Nothing wrong with the connector, it's working fine now. I Just don't wanna connect the splitter back in.

It was unplugged. Nothing wrong with the connector, it's working fine now. I Just don't wanna connect the splitter back in.

Check the splitter for breaks in the wiring it could be faulty. Can you link the splitter? 

Check the splitter for breaks in the wiring it could be faulty. Can you link the splitter? 

I have about 5 splitters. All brand new, im just scared to plug in another one and fry the motherboard

That is one HOT pc

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

I have about 5 splitters. All brand new, im just scared to plug in another one and fry the motherboard

If you bought them at a local store i would carry them there for the store to test it. I have used 3 splitter so far in my rig, one 3pin to 8x 3pin, a 4pin to 4x 4pin and a 4pinx 4pin plus molex and all have worked fine.

Really not sure how or why you have a problem.

If you bought them at a local store i would carry them there for the store to test it. I have used 3 splitter so far in my rig, one 3pin to 8x 3pin, a 4pin to 4x 4pin and a 4pinx 4pin plus molex and all have worked fine.

Really not sure how or why you have a problem.

When I first tried it, there wasnt a fire. The fan just didnt come on. I took it out and put it back on turned the computer on and it just caught fire. I have 4 more of the splitters brand new. I did however only have 1 fan hooked up to the splitter instead of the 2, maybe it happened because one of the connectors were empty?

My specs

-Intel Core i7 4790K 4.4Ghz

-Evga GTX 980 SC ATX 2.0 SLI

-MSI 97 Gaming 7 Motherboard

-Corsair Vengeance 16gb DDR3 Ram

-Crucial 1TB Solid State Drive

-Noctua NH-D14 Dual Heatpipe CPU Cooler

-CM Storm Stryker Full Tower

- Evga 750W G PSU

When I first tried it, there wasnt a fire. The fan just didnt come on. I took it out and put it back on turned the computer on and it just caught fire. I have 4 more of the splitters brand new. I did however only have 1 fan hooked up to the splitter instead of the 2, maybe it happened because one of the connectors were empty?

My specs

-Intel Core i7 4790K 4.4Ghz

-Evga GTX 980 SC ATX 2.0 SLI

-MSI 97 Gaming 7 Motherboard

-Corsair Vengeance 16gb DDR3 Ram

-Crucial 1TB Solid State Drive

-Noctua NH-D14 Dual Heatpipe CPU Cooler

-CM Storm Stryker Full Tower

- Evga 750W G PSU

No that can't be because i have never populated all my connectors on my splitters. For more than 3 years i have had a Phobya splitter populates with 3x 3pin fans and the remainder 5 connectors have been empty and my radiator splitter has only 3 fans connector to it with one spare empty all the time. What could have happened is that that specific splitter may not have been crimped properly. 

if you have an older MOBO you can try the other splitters with the same fans and see what happens, you don't even need the CPU just "jump" the PSU with the splitters connected and see if the fans come on.

This is a PSU jumper.

That's happen to me exip with a extension cord which was have in the socket and half not,instead of a flare it blew up and tripped the power