Should I wait for the R9 300 Series?

JonnyBoyThan

I am going to be building a new pc soon and was wondering your guys opinion on if I should by a temporary GFX card and then just buy a R9 390 when it comes out. Or buy a gtx 970 and stick with it. Specifically the Msi Twin FroZR V 970. I currently am playing on a gt 610 and only play cs go but will want to play battlefield and loads of other games when I build my new pc.

If you can wait till June for them, wait for 300/ Nvidia's counter to it.

If not go for a 970. (What id'e do).

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

It depends, are you going to want the 390(X) if not just go with the GTX 970 or 290X, whatever is cheaper.

Edit - If you do go with the 290X make sure it is NOT a reference cooler.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

I think I'm just going to go ahead and buy a 290 instead of waiting. The 390 is going to be a lot more expensive than 290(x)/970's and the 380(x) is likely going to be a rebadge. If they were coming out next month I'd wait, but since they're coming out in June (maybe later, they're just being shown off in June) I'm not going to.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

I am going to be building a new pc soon and was wondering your guys opinion on if I should by a temporary GFX card and then just buy a R9 390 when it comes out. Or buy a gtx 970 and stick with it. Specifically the Msi Twin FroZR V 970. I currently am playing on a gt 610 and only play cs go but will want to play battlefield and loads of other games when I build my new pc.

I'm in the same boat is you dude.. I'd all but decided on the R9 290 but then heard the 300 series is coming out, and sounds pretty damn awesome! Personally I'm planning on getting a cheap GFX card for the interim like a 750Ti and in a month or so get the 390 or whatever they decide to call it :)

• CPU: AMD FX-9590 | MB: Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  | GPU: Asus Radeon R9 290 OC DirectCU II | CASE:NZXT H440 White W/Window | COOLER: NZXT Kraken X41 | RAM: 16GB AMD Performance Series | STORAGE: AMD OCZ R7 Radeon SSD 240GBPSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 850w White

Isn't DirectX 12 supposed to also give a massive performance boost for AMD cards? Something with Windows 10.

like most said if you can wait for r9 390 but also look what kind of games you play amd based or nvidia based this is equally important for your final decision if you want higher fps  around 60 or in future next screen 120 or 144. like gsync and freesync.

Holy sheeeeeet! 

WOW, going from a gt610 to 390!!! Talk about an upgrade. And honestly, if you're still using a 610 right now for gaming, you could literally get a $40 card and see MASSIVE improvement, that is if you don want to wait for for the 390. 

However, my recommendation would be to get something that has more bang for the buck since the new stuff always carries a premium. So if you're doing 1080, you should be right at the sweet spot with the 280x/970.