Witcher 3 Hard Copy Questions

AHaskin14

So I will be getting (pre-order) the hard copy of Witcher 3 as it comes with a bunch of cool physical items. Since the game is DRM free, does that mean I must use the disc every time I play the game. If so, does this slow me down the slightest if I install it on an SSD, or does the computer just read that I actually have the disc and play as normal? I essentially have no Idea how this stuff works as the majority of my games are from steam.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

I highly doubt it, although you never know.

I highly doubt it, although you never know.

in response to which question lol?

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX

What they do most of the time with physical PC releases:

Give you a CD/DVD with barely any data on it, that does nothing and maybe starts up Steam.

And a little piece of paper with a code on it.

You're probably getting a Steam key with the physical release. 

And back in the day, you needed the disk only to start up a game, not play it (so you still had to install it)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

What they do most of the time with physical PC releases:

Give you a CD/DVD with barely any data on it, that does nothing and maybe starts up Steam.

And a little piece of paper with a code on it.

You're probably getting a Steam key with the physical release. 

And back in the day, you needed the disk only to start up a game, not play it (so you still had to install it)

I don't believe that It would go directly to steam though, especially since they advocate you buy it digitally from gog.com.

Having to use the disc every time you play is a form of DRM. So that wouldn't be DRM free. This was one of the terribly inconvenient DRM forms which the industry sufferered from before the rise of digital distribution.

What is hard copy

The disc in the plastic case. plus a bunch of free goodies.

Since the game is DRM free, does that mean I must use the disc every time I play the game.

This is a speculation question, as none of us can possibly know if the hard copy of an unreleased game will have a disk check. You'll just have to see when you get it, I guess. It would be surprising, even shocking to me to see a game with a disk check in 2015.

Even back when games used disk checks, they were usually literally just checking for the presence of the disk. The game files were on your HDD. Many games got patches that removed the disk check later on, proving this. So my guess is that installing it on your SSD would still be as beneficial as ever in either case.

The Witcher III's installation files are not going to fit on physical media, probably not even a Blu-ray. It's likely that even with the physical copy you will be installing 50+ GB through Steam, or perhaps as a GOG download.