CS:GO noob questions

minibois

So I just started playing a bit of CS:GO since my friend shared it with me.

Either way, a few questions: 

1. Is it possibly/recommended to change FOV without user scripts?

I like playing at 110 and 90 seems to be standard.

2. What sensitivity should I about play at?

Fairly general question, I think I play at default or something now..

3. Anyone has a list of what weapons you can buy on what side?

I asked my friend why I couldn't get the AK47, it was because I was in the Counter Terrorist team :P

4. Why does it take so long to get in a random casual match?!

I spend yesterday at 9 PM like 5 minutes to not get in a match.. Why? :(

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I asked my friend why I couldn't get the AK47, it was because I was in the Counter Terrorist team :P

Nope - As an actual competitive game, your FOV is locked. No advantages over others.

Sensitivity is all up to you. I play low at 1.2

Only a few guns are team sided. AK is terrorist side and M4A1 is CT side. Tech 9 is T side and Five Seven is CT side.

Go play in a public server. Fastest way to just play the game. Find one that's 20/24 and just click join server.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

1. I don't think you can change the FOV without scripts.

2. Sensitivity is very much dependent on your playstyle, mouse, mousepad. Just try different sensitivities and see what is the best one for you.

3. This is good for weapons and what teams have what weapons. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCkQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcounterstrike.wikia.com%2Fwiki%2FCategory%3AWeapons&ei=eu75VMrEHtTbsASM9YGADA&usg=AFQjCNEbAplDK1XUD_OgtbPK17rrX-kvpw&bvm=bv.87611401,d.cWc

4. Matches take time to find and if there arent many servers near you or they are all full, it will take time.

1. no

2. I use 2.5 some people use 1 

3. I love the SG553

4. high time

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

This video helped me a lot! 

Now for the FOV i'm not sure. The Casual matches depend on the servers and where you're located.

Nope - As an actual competitive game, your FOV is locked. No advantages over others.

Sensitivity is all up to you. I play low at 1.2

Only a few guns are team sided. AK is terrorist side and M4A1 is CT side. Tech 9 is T side and Five Seven is CT side.

Go play in a public server. Fastest way to just play the game. Find one that's 20/24 and just click join server.

1. I don't think you can change the FOV without scripts.

2. Sensitivity is very much dependent on your playstyle, mouse, mousepad. Just try different sensitivities and see what is the best one for you.

3. This is good for weapons and what teams have what weapons. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCkQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcounterstrike.wikia.com%2Fwiki%2FCategory%3AWeapons&ei=eu75VMrEHtTbsASM9YGADA&usg=AFQjCNEbAplDK1XUD_OgtbPK17rrX-kvpw&bvm=bv.87611401,d.cWc

4. Matches take time to find and if there arent many servers near you or they are all full, it will take time.

1. no

2. I use 2.5 some people use 1 

3. I love the SG553

4. high time

Alright, thanks for the quick answers :D

Will definitely watch the video (halfway through it now).

Hmm, I'm from West Netherlands, so thought I would be able to get a match at 9PM :/

How long does it take for a bomb to explode? (Like in the Search and Destroy like gamemode..)

And is there a timer for it on the screen that I perhaps missed?

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Alright, thanks for the quick answers :D

Will definitely watch the video (halfway through it now).

Hmm, I'm from West Netherlands, so thought I would be able to get a match at 9PM :/

How long does it take for a bomb to explode? (Like in the Search and Destroy like gamemode..)

And is there a timer for it on the screen that I perhaps missed?

there is no timer but you can tell from the speed of the beeping

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I can answer number 4, it's a competitive game like no noobs allowed basically. Yea, I spent like 2hours in lobby 2 weeks ago!

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

I shall quote so I don't have to keep scrolling up and down :P

1. There isn't any slider for changing the FOV in CS:GO, it's fixed unless you change your resolution, as some people will do. 16:9 will give you the highest FOV, but smaller targets when using a 4:3 stretched resolution will give you a lower FOV, but larger targets (My personal favourite). But like everything, this is preference and it doesn't matter what resolution or aspect ratio you play at as long as it's comfortable for you and your PC can handle it. 

2. There is no specific sensitivity you should play at. I'd recommend a lower sensitivity though, so accuracy at longer ranges is easy and micro movement is too. But just make sure you can at least get a 180 degree spin done in the mouse pad you have. This is mine 6/11 Windows, 480DPI and 1.25 in game. It's low, but I am comfortable with it. Just get used to one and stick to it. 

3. For this, it's just something you pick up over time, along with the damage models of each gun too. For example. The AK47 is one hit kill to the head, with both a helmet and without a helmet, dealing 111 damage to helmet users and 143 to none helmet users. When the M4A1-S and the M4A4 both do the same damage as each other, but cant kill in one headshot if the enemy is using a helmet. It's just thing you pick up over time. ;)

But if you're wanting a list, check this out. 

http://counterstrike.wikia.com/wiki/Counter-Strike:_Global_OffensiveThis site gives you all the stats that you will need for weapons, spots on the maps and much more! :)

4. I have no idea why it may take so long to get into a casual game, usually, especially at peak times, they're just full up. I'd recommend community servers for deathmatch and general practice though as they are often 128tick and run smoother than Valve's servers. If you're in Europe, try the BrutalCS servers :)

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Added information. 

Bomb timer on Valve servers is 45 seconds and round time is 2:00, community servers, such as CEVO and ESEA, it's 35 seconds with a round time of 1:30, but that wont apply to you as of now. If you have the music on, it helps you to identify how long is left, though the majority of people I know don't play with music, you just get a feel from how long is left from the beeping of the bomb. 

For your sensitivity, please turn on raw input and turn off mouse accel. It'll help you greatly to get a stronger feeling of the game. 

Crouching doesn't increase accuracy over standing, and standing still is the only way to shoot accurately.

Yadda, yadda, yadda. Check out these videos for beginner help on guns and stuff. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpFcHE36IoySjYj1Rytxyog

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

1. Nope, the only thing I know ppl do, is that they play on a 4:3 aspect ratio, but stretch it across their widescreen monitors. People appear fatter, but your FOV is not as large. I've done this since playing source, but it's really personal preference. 

2. Pro players generally have a lower sensitivity, and having a large amount of mouse space + large mouse pad is important. Make sure MOUSE ACCELERATION is DISABLED!!! You can do this is the game settings. My in game sens is 0.7777777 but your mouse dpi also comes into play. 

3. Guns exclusive to CT's: M4, M4-silenced, Aug, mag7, Clarion/famas, five-seven, usp

Guns exclusive to T's: AK-47, Galil, tec 9, sawed off shotty, sg, glock

i probably missed some.

4. Casual / Comp que times are usually not very long, about 2-3 minutes usually. 

I shall quote so I don't have to keep scrolling up and down :P

1. There isn't any slider for changing the FOV in CS:GO, it's fixed unless you change your resolution, as some people will do. 16:9 will give you the highest FOV, but smaller targets when using a 4:3 stretched resolution will give you a lower FOV, but larger targets (My personal favourite). But like everything, this is preference and it doesn't matter what resolution or aspect ratio you play at as long as it's comfortable for you and your PC can handle it. 

2. There is no specific sensitivity you should play at. I'd recommend a lower sensitivity though, so accuracy at longer ranges is easy and micro movement is too. But just make sure you can at least get a 180 degree spin done in the mouse pad you have. This is mine 6/11 Windows, 480DPI and 1.25 in game. It's low, but I am comfortable with it. Just get used to one and stick to it. 

3. For this, it's just something you pick up over time, along with the damage models of each gun too. For example. The AK47 is one hit kill to the head, with both a helmet and without a helmet, dealing 111 damage to helmet users and 143 to none helmet users. When the M4A1-S and the M4A4 both do the same damage as each other, but cant kill in one headshot if the enemy is using a helmet. It's just thing you pick up over time. ;)

But if you're wanting a list, check this out. 

http://counterstrike.wikia.com/wiki/Counter-Strike:_Global_OffensiveThis site gives you all the stats that you will need for weapons, spots on the maps and much more! :)

4. I have no idea why it may take so long to get into a casual game, usually, especially at peak times, they're just full up. I'd recommend community servers for deathmatch and general practice though as they are often 128tick and run smoother than Valve's servers. If you're in Europe, try the BrutalCS servers :)

Added information. 

Bomb timer on Valve servers is 45 seconds and round time is 2:00, community servers, such as CEVO and ESEA, it's 35 seconds with a round time of 1:30, but that wont apply to you as of now. If you have the music on, it helps you to identify how long is left, though the majority of people I know don't play with music, you just get a feel from how long is left from the beeping of the bomb. 

For your sensitivity, please turn on raw input and turn off mouse accel. It'll help you greatly to get a stronger feeling of the game. 

Crouching doesn't increase accuracy over standing, and standing still is the only way to shoot accurately.

Yadda, yadda, yadda. Check out these videos for beginner help on guns and stuff. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpFcHE36IoySjYj1Rytxyog

Thanks for the info :)

I really don't get how you can't just change FOV. Some people just like it higher (like me)

That is one of the reasons I can't stand Destiny (PS4/Xbox One) gameplay, because the FOV is like 65 or something :(

1. Nope, the only thing I know ppl do, is that they play on a 4:3 aspect ratio, but stretch it across their widescreen monitors. People appear fatter, but your FOV is not as large. I've done this since playing source, but it's really personal preference. 

2. Pro players generally have a lower sensitivity, and having a large amount of mouse space + large mouse pad is important. Make sure MOUSE ACCELERATION is DISABLED!!! You can do this is the game settings. My in game sens is 0.7777777 but your mouse dpi also comes into play. 

3. Guns exclusive to CT's: M4, M4-silenced, Aug, mag7, Clarion/famas, five-seven, usp

Guns exclusive to T's: AK-47, Galil, tec 9, sawed off shotty, sg, glock

i probably missed some.

4. Casual / Comp que times are usually not very long, about 2-3 minutes usually. 

Thanks for the info :)

I really don't get how you can't just change FOV. Some people just like it higher (like me)

That is one of the reasons I can't stand Destiny (PS4/Xbox One) gameplay, because the FOV is like 65 or something :(

As someone said above. The game is designed around the competitive aspect. If someone is able to get a higher FOV but use the same aspect ratio as someone else, it gives them a slight advantage. To make sure that everyone is on the same playing field, it's simplified and FOV adjustment is removed. And like I said, there's disadvantages to both high FOV and low FOV in that game when you change the resolution. ;)

I know people hate self advertising, but to get my point across a bit better, here's a past broadcast of mine where I play at 4:3 stretched. :)

http://www.twitch.tv/seriously_mikey/b/632157767

not that I know of

a medium to low sens so anything from 30-80cm/360, I dont know what dpi/windows multiplier etc you use so I'll leave this here http://www.notalent.org/sensitivity/sensitivity.htm

http://counterstrike.wikia.com/wiki/Counter-Strike:_Global_Offensive#Weapons_and_Equipment

It shouldnt take more than a minutes find a casual game so idk, if it takes more than a minute just redo it or browse community servers (make sure to set your ping option to 50 or below)