looking for a good pair of over ear headphones.

lukky211111

id like a good set of over the ear headphones without a mic. the max id spend is $200 and i live in the united states. thank you.

askdjfasdf

If you want some budget headphones that sound well above what their price would have you believe, the Superlux HD668Bs.

There are a lot, I'd say for $200, the AKG K7XXs are really good, but that deal just ended, and they would likely need some amping($75+) to get the most out of them.  The AKG headphones are considered the best when it comes to gaming because of their large soundstage

Another good pair are the DT990 250Ohms, they often go as low as $150, but again, they headphones will need some amping to get the most out of them.

The AudioTechnica ATH-M50s are really popular also for around $150.

Check out Mad Lust Envy's Gaming Headphone Guide

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I would get AKG K702, beyerdynamic dt770/dt880. For lower budget options there are the sennheiser 518/558/598 and audio technica ad500x/700x/900x. Don't get the audio technica ath m50, if you really want something like that, get the m40x; they sound almost identical for $50 cheaper. If you really want to game, don't get closed heaphones like the athm40x/m50x, they won't have nearly as good directional audio.

If you want some budget headphones that sound well above what their price would have you believe, the Superlux HD668Bs.

There are a lot, I'd say for $200, the AKG K7XXs are really good, but that deal just ended, and they would likely need some amping($75+) to get the most out of them.  The AKG headphones are considered the best when it comes to gaming because of their large soundstage

Another good pair are the DT990 250Ohms, they often go as low as $150, but again, they headphones will need some amping to get the most out of them.

The AudioTechnica ATH-M50s are really popular also for around $150.

Check out Mad Lust Envy's Gaming Headphone Guide

dude your always super informative and have tons of recomendations! thank you!

askdjfasdf

I love my Sennheiser 558's  

You can pick them up right now for $105 on amazon.  They are a steal for that price.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

I would get AKG K702, beyerdynamic dt770/dt880. For lower budget options there are the sennheiser 518/558/598 and audio technica ad500x/700x/900x. Don't get the audio technica ath m50, if you really want something like that, get the m40x; they sound almost identical for $50 cheaper. If you really want to game, don't get closed heaphones like the athm40x/m50x, they won't have nearly as good directional audio.

i want to isolate sound just because i dont want to hear people.....at all....

askdjfasdf

I love my Sennheiser 558's  

You can pick them up right now for $105 on amazon.  They are a steal for that price.

will check em out.

askdjfasdf

Then you want a CLOSED back headphone.  Not open or semi-open.  If you are looking for true immersion, you want a closed back headphone.  Let me try and look some up for you in the $200 and less range.

The main knock on closed back headphones is their smaller soundstage, which makes it harder to pinpoint enemies.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Then the 558's are a terrible pick.  They are open.

I don't own any closed back headphones.  But my next headphone purchase will be Beyerdynamic dt 770's

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

I think the Beyerdynamic DT990s are going to be right in your wheelhouse.  They can be had for as low as $150, which leaves you some flexibility for adding an amp if you feel like you need more power.  Scroll down on this page to read the review on the DT990s

For amps, the FiiO E10K is tried and true for $75, but you are really leaving yourself right at the limit.  The FiiO isn't the best for higher end headphones in the event you ever want something more serious than the Beyers.

The SMSL SD793-II is a much more powerful amp, and will leave you some room for future headphone upgrades.  You will need to buy an optical cable with this one, it should total out to $75, just like the FiiO.

I think the Beyerdynamic DT990s are going to be right in your wheelhouse.  They can be had for as low as $150, which leaves you some flexibility for adding an amp if you feel like you need more power.  Scroll down on this page to read the review on the DT990s

For amps, the FiiO E10K is tried and true for $75, but you are really leaving yourself right at the limit.  The FiiO isn't the best for higher end headphones in the event you ever want something more serious than the Beyers.

The SMSL SD793-II is a much more powerful amp, and will leave you some room for future headphone upgrades.  You will need to buy an optical cable with this one, it should total out to $75, just like the FiiO.

ill be checking these out thank you very much dude your always super helpful! you in my opinion at least are how members of the community should be or at least a very good example your polite and helpful and ive had a lot of run ins with very rude inidividuals.

askdjfasdf

ill be checking these out thank you very much dude your always super helpful! you in my opinion at least are how members of the community should be or at least a very good example your polite and helpful and ive had a lot of run ins with very rude inidividuals.

Thank you, I really appreciate your kind words, makes me feel good when my help is noticed, especially being such an active member of this community.  Truly, thank you =)

@SSL

How good is the headphone amp that comes with the M50x?  I notice that the bundle which includes the amp is only $8 more.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86

@SSL

How good is the headphone amp that comes with the M50x?  I notice that the bundle which includes the amp is only $8 more.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86

Not very. And battery powered which is silly for a desktop scenario.

Overall not a good deal since the M50x is overpriced, overhyped, a poor choice for gaming, and doesn't need an amp anyway.

BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm are the one I choose.

Just because I prefer an open pair of headphones that are flat.

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 are closed, thus getting uncomfortable over long periods of time wearing them, and there are too much bass.

Always willing to help :)

From Portugal with love.

The M50's really don't NEED an amplifier.  They are pretty efficient.  I've owned (and gamed with) the ATH-M50 for years.  It's an excellent headphone and I've worn them for hours at a time without discomfort.  I prefer open backed though for FPS games, if I can use them in a relatively quiet room.

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

Not doubting you but I'm curious where you found your specs for the SMSL?  From what I've seen it's actually less powerful than the E10K, and the E10K has USB as well (but no optical), for roughly the same price. 

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system