help! Pentium-r9 280

Since a pentium is almost as good as a i7 and better than a i5 or as good what motherboard do you need to overclock the pentium? Thx

www.youtube.com/watch?v=evXpqpNhu_Y

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJACZ5iStWw

unless you have G3258, you can't oc.

except if you meant the older pentium C2D/Q2C, Dual Core 775

Pentium better than i5 or equal to i7, wut ಠ_ಠ

There are i3 CPU's that beat the Pentium ..

And yes, a good Motherboard is needed for decent OC'ing

@Teemo4Life

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

wat.

How is a Pentium better than an i5

It's overclock able to 4.7ghz which can match a i7

1.) Pentium is not better than i3 .. not even talking about i5 or i7 lol

2.) If you OC it it has simmilar PER CORE performance than those other mentioned above but that does not mean it is better because it has only 2 CORES while i3 has 2cores + HT and i5 has 4 Cores and i7 4Cores + HT

So in application that uses 2cores it will be as good as i7 but in application that uses 3cores it will fall behind a LOT. Today almost anything can use more than 2 cores.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2389948

this is list of motherboards you can OC Pentium G3258 with

Pentium better than i5 or equal to i7, wut ಠ_ಠ

There are i3 CPU's that beat the Pentium ..

And yes, a good Motherboard is needed for decent OC'ing

@Teemo4Life

G3258 pentium to 4,7ghz which can match a i7 and possibly beat a i5

2.) If you OC it it has simmilar PER CORE performance than those other mentioned above but that does not mean it is better because it has only 2 CORES while i3 has 2cores + HT and i5 has 4 Cores and i7 4Cores + HT

So a Pentium is better than a i5? FAST, buy all the Pentiums!

The Intel Pentium G3258 duel core CPU if overclocked can keep up in terms of GAME fps with an i7 processer any other task like rendering or compute the i7 will win BUT since its only 70$ it makes a compelling offer as it does beat out most of the 150-200$ AMD CPUs and anything below 150 for AMD is a joke Go and look up benchmarks with the Intel Pentium G3258 you will see it has great price preformace rates

since when pentium can equal to i5/i7?  :D

in some application like games maybe yes, but still not equivalent enough to compete with i5/i7.

G3258 at 4.7GHz maybe can achieve nearly equal to i5/i7 fps, but in raw cpu performance, it's not.

CPU:  i5 4690 Motherboard: AsRock H81M-VG4 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz Graphics Card: Sapphire HD7870 OC Intel HD4600  MSI R9 270X HAWX Storage: 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm, 120GB WDC Scorpio 5400 rpm PSU: Corsair VS550 Chassis: Custom Open Air Case OS: Windows 8.1 X64 Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Optical Mousepad: Roccat Taito Keyboard: Armageddon Kalashnikov AK-770i

The Intel Pentium G3258 duel core CPU if overclocked can keep up in terms of GAME fps with an i7 processer any other task like rendering or compute the i7 will win BUT since its only 70$ it makes a compelling offer as it does beat out most of the 150-200$ AMD CPUs and anything below 150 for AMD is a joke Go and look up benchmarks with the Intel Pentium G3258 you will see it has great price preformace rates

AMEN BROTHER.

SUCK IT ALL OF YOU WHO SPENT $350 us on there i7 while I get a same peformance cpu for $90 au. For editing and stuff i7 obviously wins

since when pentium can equal to i5/i7? :D

in some application like games maybe yes, but still not equivalent enough to compete with i5/i7.

G3258 at 4.7GHz maybe can achieve nearly equal to i5/i7 fps, but in raw cpu performance, it's not.

Not raw but OC my friend ;)

Suprised no one knows how good the pentium is. In my original post I'll put a link to Linus vid

Can someone answer my question and send a pcpartpicker list, thx

G3258 pentium to 4,7ghz which can match a i7 and possibly beat a i5

Clock speed doesn't mean anything. Especially if you have less cores (Pentium has 2, i5 has 4 and the i7 has 4 too, but more threads too).

Pentium does not beat the i7.

Watch this video.

It is done with a 750 Ti and you can clearly see the i7 is better.

The Pentium sometimes drops to 40fps while the i7 stays at 56-60fps (Mostly 60 though).

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

So in application that uses 2cores it will be as good as i7 but in application that uses 3cores it will fall behind a LOT. Today almost anything can use more than 2 cores.

Not much uses quad core and I have a beast gpu anyway

Clock speed doesn't mean anything. Especially if you have less cores (Pentium has 2, i5 has 4 and the i7 has 4 too, but more threads too).

Pentium does not beat the i7.

Watch this video.

It is done with a 750 Ti and you can clearly see the i7 is better.

The Pentium sometimes drops to 40fps while the i7 stays at 56-60fps (Mostly 60 though).

But your paying $350 more so....

Pentium is very close to i7 and the pentium is so cheap

See my post above.

" can keep up in terms of GAME fps"

The Pentium drops to 40 fps, while the i7 keeps it at 60fps.

Please don't just spit out 'facts' while you don't know the truth

AMEN BROTHER.

SUCK IT ALL OF YOU WHO SPENT $350 us on there i7 while I get a same peformance cpu for $90 au. For editing and stuff i7 obviously wins

But noone guarantees you that you will be even able to OC to 4GHz.. it is all based on luck. Besides some games can benefit from more than 2 cores which will result in a lot more performance. It all comes down to what games you play and what you do with PC.

You stated that Pentium is as good as i5 or i7 which is wrong! We simply corrected you. You refer to video Linus posted which prety much everyone here have seen but he got really lucky chip and managed to get it to 4.7GHz. Also he tested it in games that dont benefit from more than 2 cores.

Also it is not about MAX FPS, it is about MIN FPS. i5 or i7 will keep your FPS from dropping too much. Also you will have to close a lot of things that are runing in background if you plan on having best possible gaming performance while with i5 or i7 you can have a lot of things opened in background while gaming.

But your paying $350 more so....

Pentium is very close to i7 and the pentium is so cheap

i5 will beat it too. i3 will beat it too.

And what do you even mean with the last line?

The Pentium has 2 cores, while something like an i5 has 4 and I think an i3 has 2 cores + hyperthreading to 4 threads.

mfw people don't know the G3258 is haswell architecture. It's pentium in name only. But only two cores.

It's overclock able to 4.7ghz which can match a i7

Can match an i7?

What are you smoking?

Let me repost Yes the i7 will get more FPS normally 4-15 more but when you consider that this little beast is only 70$ vs the 500$ in newzealand for the I7 cores I would consider that a steal really since the pentium is based on the same architecture as the I7 4790K (Haswell) the cores if at the same clock speed will match 2 cores of the i7 in games that only use 2 cores you will see they both get around the same framerate BF3-4 is one of the only games these days that is a major title to support all 4 cores and even then its not that good of support