Monoprice Cherry MX Blue Switch Keyboard

EChondo

Keyboard being reviewed: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=114&cp_id=11401&cs_id=1140102&p_id=9433&seq=1&format=2

Quick Overview

• Legitimate Cherry MX Blue Branded Switches
  • Every Key is Mechanical
  • Full Keyboard, 104 Keys, Weighs: ~5lbs.
  • No Backlighting
  • Num, Scroll, and Cap Lock LED's are blue
  • Plastic Keyboard Housing
  • Rubber Footing And Has Fold-able Feet For Elevation
  • USB Connector, Cable is 5ft. Long, Thick Non-Sleeved
  • Minimal Flex
  • Gloss covering of Keyboard Surface
  • Possible Expansion
To start off, this keyboard is fully mechanical and the switches are Cherry branded. They keyboard has a plastic housing with a glossy top covering(fingerprints galore!) and has plastic keycaps that are cylindrical. Lettering feels engraved into the keycaps, definitely not printed on and the keycaps have a nice feeling texture to them. The keys do not wobble and are stable. The keyboard is connected by USB and has a 5ft. long cable. The cable is not sleeved, but it is thick. The keyboard itself is around 4.5-5lbs, 18.25" long, 6.5" wide, and 1.25" tall without elevation, 1.75" with elevation. This keyboard does have some flex to it, but it is rigid and doesn't flex much at all.

2XM6T2D.jpg

I have pulled off the keycaps of different sections. You can see that this keyboard is fully mechanical. This keyboard in-particular has Cherry MX Blue switches.

5SVwiP9.jpg

You can see the surface of the keyboard has a glossy finish. This does attract fingerprints, but because we all live in dark caves, nearly none of us will notice this anyway. The Key Lock area is not covered by the glossy surface.

RKGuMUD.jpg

The bottom of the keyboard is clean and has rubber footing on each corner. It does take some force to push the keyboard across a surface and has great stability.

wCXtnia.jpg

0BH5SVA.jpg

You can see that the LED indicators are blue and do have some leakage above the number pad. The LED's are a navy blue and are bright when viewed top-down. I personally don't mind the LED's as they aren't bright when you are using the keyboard in an ergonomic style(sitting down, sitting straight up with correct posture). Some people do not like the brightness, but unless you're standing straight up with a top-down view of the keyboard, you won't have a problem with the level of brightness.

5r5ob5f.jpg

This Monoprice keyboard has three different versions. The Blue version is the most basic, there is also a Black and Red versions as well. The Black version has a USB and audio hub, so they use the same housing, but the Black and Red versions have a different surface. I haven't heard anything about this, but I would assume you could pop these tabs out and add your own USB and audio hub. It also appears you could pop out the LED lock area and switch it out for something else.

e1bv3eA.jpg

I thought I'd point this out. The area above the arrow key section has different heights to the keys. This is personally great for me since this keyboard has no backlighting so it will be easier to find and differentiate between these keys in the dark.

This Monoprice Mechanical Cherry MX Blue keyboard is just that, a mechanical keyboard. This keyboard is fully mechanical and very minimal in features. For $57.42, this keyboard is definitely worth it and if anything, you can try it out for 30 days and return it for a full refund if you don't like it. If you don't have a store nearby with mechanical keyboards to try out, this is the next best thing to do. I personally love this keyboard as I am coming from a membrane keyboard. The switches feel amazing and there is no way I'm going back to membrane anytime soon. If you're looking for something affordable, but also has quality, then this is what you're looking for.

The box contents is just the keyboard and a manual. You do not get any keycap puller or anything else. Just the keyboard and box. Monoprice shipped it to me with some airbags wrapped around the keyboard box, so I was skeptical at first, but inside they have hard gray foam protecting the keyboard on both sides.

Sorry for the huge pictures, if they annoy most I'll re-size them down. I put them in spoilers currently to avoid loading issues, if any.

Edited by EChondo

How fast is the shipping? Also, is there any keycap rattle? 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

How fast is the shipping? Also, is there any keycap rattle? 

No keycap rattle. Keycaps are very sturdy.

I live less than 20 miles away from Monoprice, so shipping took 12 hours(overnight shipping, was $6). Norco Overnight was definitely worth it. They pick it up at Monoprice at night around 9pm and then it is delivered to your front door around 9am.

No keycap rattle. Keycaps are very sturdy.

I live less than 20 miles away from Monoprice, so shipping took 12 hours(overnight shipping, was $6). Norco Overnight was definitely worth it. They pick it up at Monoprice at night around 9pm and then it is delivered to your front door around 9am.

SWEET! I'm in So Cal too, and i'm picking one of these up for myself! 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

thanks for the review,I'd heard of the keyboard but wasn't sure of it's quality.

always wanted to try a mechanical keyboard,might pick this up eventually.

also whats that white spot on the left of the keyboard in the very first photo?

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

SWEET! I'm in So Cal too, and i'm picking one of these up for myself! 

Just so you know, there is a Cherry MX Black version for $10 more that has a USB and Audio hub.

Link here: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=114&cp_id=11401&cs_id=1140102&p_id=9180&seq=1&format=2

It also comes with a wrist rest.

thanks for the review,I'd heard of the keyboard but wasn't sure of it's quality.

always wanted to try a mechanical keyboard,might pick this up eventually.

also whats that white spot on the left of the keyboard in the very first photo?

That white spot is the reflection of my Blue Snowball microphone. The surface is glossy mind you :P

Just so you know, there is a Cherry MX Black version for $10 more that has a USB and Audio hub.

Link here: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=114&cp_id=11401&cs_id=1140102&p_id=9180&seq=1&format=2

It also comes with a wrist rest.

Nah, I don't need that, I just need some blues for a good price. I would go with another ALPS switch keyboard but the keycap rattle is unbearable. 

That white spot is the reflection of my Blue Snowball microphone. The surface is glossy mind you :P

lol I know you said it was glossy,though you have to admit,not knowing it's a reflection it does seem like thermal paste or something. :D

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

Nah, I don't need that, I just need some blues for a good price. I would go with another ALPS switch keyboard but the keycap rattle is unbearable. 

Are the keycaps just loose or not stable? I can pick up this Monoprice keyboard and shake it and there isn't any rattle from what I can hear. Definitely try it out, see if you like it. 

lol I know you said it was glossy,though you have to admit,not knowing it's a reflection it does seem like thermal paste or something. :D

"or something", what are you trying to imply!? Haha, just kidding around. I would never get this keyboard dirty, even though it was a bit cheap!

"or something", what are you trying to imply!? Haha, just kidding around. I would never get this keyboard dirty, even though it was a bit cheap!

well that wasn't originally how I intended it,though after posting it I thought

"he might take that the wrong way.......nahhhhhh"

lol,thanks for making me lose faith in humanity.

Linus Sebastian said:

well that wasn't originally how I intended it,though after posting it I thought

"he might take that the wrong way.......nahhhhhh"

lol,thanks for making me lose faith in humanity.

Hey, one step at a time!

Thanks for the review, that makes you the 1st guy here with a Monoprice mech KB, Vitalius had gotten one and reviewed it in the KB section. Regardless, they look to be pretty solid KB at that price point, simply not available in my neck of the woods. Anyway, I hope you're, or rather, your fingers are enjoying that KB.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Thanks for the review, that makes you the 1st guy here with a Monoprice mech KB, Vitalius had gotten one and reviewed it in the KB section. Regardless, they look to be pretty solid KB at that price point, simply not available in my neck of the woods. Anyway, I hope you're, or rather, your fingers are enjoying that KB.

Oh they are! I tried switching back to my old membrane, there's no possible way I'm going back to it! I love it, but I think I might prefer Browns instead. I am used to bottoming out my keys so I'm probably working this keyboard a bit harder than most, but this is my first mechanical keyboard and I bet I'll get used to it soon enough. I don't mind the sound, but I know the rest of my family does, at least at night anyway!

Seems like a good keyboard for the money, thanks for the review!

It most definitely is and you're welcome!

If you guys have any questions, please feel free to ask or PM me!

Also, I updated the OP as I forgot to mention a few things with packaging.

• 1 month later...

It most definitely is and you're welcome!

If you guys have any questions, please feel free to ask or PM me!

Also, I updated the OP as I forgot to mention a few things with packaging.

So I found this using Google to find my own personal review that I posted in Peripherals (which Glenwing was apparently fine with as he liked my post). 

You might want to update the OP by editing it so that the Spoilers work again. :(

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Keyboard being reviewed: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=114&cp_id=11401&cs_id=1140102&p_id=9433&seq=1&format=2

Quick Overview

• Legitimate Cherry MX Blue Branded Switches
  • Every Key is Mechanical
  • Full Keyboard, 104 Keys, Weighs: ~5lbs.
  • No Backlighting
  • Num, Scroll, and Cap Lock LED's are blue
  • Plastic Keyboard Housing
  • Rubber Footing And Has Fold-able Feet For Elevation
  • USB Connector, Cable is 5ft. Long, Thick Non-Sleeved
  • Minimal Flex
  • Gloss covering of Keyboard Surface
  • Possible Expansion
To start off, this keyboard is fully mechanical and the switches are Cherry branded. They keyboard has a plastic housing with a glossy top covering(fingerprints galore!) and has plastic keycaps that are cylindrical. Lettering feels engraved into the keycaps, definitely not printed on and the keycaps have a nice feeling texture to them. The keys do not wobble and are stable. The keyboard is connected by USB and has a 5ft. long cable. The cable is not sleeved, but it is thick. The keyboard itself is around 4.5-5lbs, 18.25" long, 6.5" wide, and 1.25" tall without elevation, 1.75" with elevation. This keyboard does have some flex to it, but it is rigid and doesn't flex much at all.

2XM6T2D.jpg

I have pulled off the keycaps of different sections. You can see that this keyboard is fully mechanical. This keyboard in-particular has Cherry MX Blue switches.

5SVwiP9.jpg

You can see the surface of the keyboard has a glossy finish. This does attract fingerprints, but because we all live in dark caves, nearly none of us will notice this anyway. The Key Lock area is not covered by the glossy surface.

RKGuMUD.jpg

The bottom of the keyboard is clean and has rubber footing on each corner. It does take some force to push the keyboard across a surface and has great stability.

wCXtnia.jpg

0BH5SVA.jpg

You can see that the LED indicators are blue and do have some leakage above the number pad. The LED's are a navy blue and are bright when viewed top-down. I personally don't mind the LED's as they aren't bright when you are using the keyboard in an ergonomic style(sitting down, sitting straight up with correct posture). Some people do not like the brightness, but unless you're standing straight up with a top-down view of the keyboard, you won't have a problem with the level of brightness.

5r5ob5f.jpg

This Monoprice keyboard has three different versions. The Blue version is the most basic, there is also a Black and Red versions as well. The Black version has a USB and audio hub, so they use the same housing, but the Black and Red versions have a different surface. I haven't heard anything about this, but I would assume you could pop these tabs out and add your own USB and audio hub. It also appears you could pop out the LED lock area and switch it out for something else.

e1bv3eA.jpg

I thought I'd point this out. The area above the arrow key section has different heights to the keys. This is personally great for me since this keyboard has no backlighting so it will be easier to find and differentiate between these keys in the dark.

This Monoprice Mechanical Cherry MX Blue keyboard is just that, a mechanical keyboard. This keyboard is fully mechanical and very minimal in features. For $57.42, this keyboard is definitely worth it and if anything, you can try it out for 30 days and return it for a full refund if you don't like it. If you don't have a store nearby with mechanical keyboards to try out, this is the next best thing to do. I personally love this keyboard as I am coming from a membrane keyboard. The switches feel amazing and there is no way I'm going back to membrane anytime soon. If you're looking for something affordable, but also has quality, then this is what you're looking for.

The box contents is just the keyboard and a manual. You do not get any keycap puller or anything else. Just the keyboard and box. Monoprice shipped it to me with some airbags wrapped around the keyboard box, so I was skeptical at first, but inside they have hard gray foam protecting the keyboard on both sides.

Sorry for the huge pictures, if they annoy most I'll re-size them down. I put them in spoilers currently to avoid loading issues, if any.

You should make a video of this put it on your youtube name it the review serises

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer