Thoughts on 'Vessel' ?

Alpha17x

I didn't know Vessel existed until Linus mentioned it during a WAN show; the one on February 27th I believe it was. I signed up for the beta and got in about 2 days later.  I'm having trouble grasping the point of it from a general user perspective.  It's like a pay per month youtube.  The price isn't terrible  I suppose but once you've binge watched every 2 to 20 minute video on a given channel; then what?   

Vessel seems to be operating on a logic similar to Netflix streaming;  Price it low enough and they'll forget they're paying for it.

It seems geared more towards content creators than content viewers. And that may sound like a gripe but I'm not sure if it is or not. I'm on the fence.

A content creator released their video on Vessel first for at least 72 hours before it hits another service like Youtube. During that time frame They get 60% of the profit from subscribers and 70% from advertisements.  They show an estimate of about $50 per thousand views. Youtube pays about $2.00 - $5.00) on a good day when the stars are aligned and you've collected all 7 dragon balls so I can understand the attraction for content creators. 

For any content that started off in the free world of Youtube or even Vimeo; I'm having difficulty seeing subscribers  stay consistent on a service like Vessel.  I checking it out for a month or two, but not much beyond that unless there was  wealth of similar content from other creators. 

TL: DR = Vessel;  What do you think the hook for it is?

PS: I love you.

I think it is ok, but isn't great for some tech products (IE new graphics cards). I think it is best for high production cost shows (like animated shows) that have one episode per week, with a youtube delay of one week.

I cant imagine paying for something that is already free

EDIT: love the old 3ds max logo

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

PS: I love you.

I don't love you.

I'm not paying.

It doesnt matter if the videos come out a few days later. They make videos regularly. There will always be one every day, its not like you have to wait longer to get content.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I don't like the idea of having to transfer to a whole new platform because it's going to feel weird for a while.

I've just signed up for the beta and got in. HD video playback is PAINFULLY slow. The user interface is nice, better than YouTube's IMO. It is dirt cheap; like 3 USD cheap. That's close to nothing. My final verdict- Slow video playback is just a huge disadvantage and I refuse to pay even 3 dollars for such a pathetic service that is not even on par with YouTube. I'm sure they would address it with an update soon but that remains to be seen.

I don't think anything about Vessel, because I will never use it. I'm willing to wait the extra week to see a video instead of paying a monthly fee for it.

Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if channels dedicated to Ripping off content on Vessel and post them on youtube on the same day would appear. It's just asking to get your content stolen, thus missing out on the views/ad revenue from youtube had you just posted it there in the first place, because people will always take the "fast and easy way" and if you force them to wait, they will find a way to get it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like the idea of having to transfer to a whole new platform because it's going to feel weird for a while.

A new platform. Exactly that is the problem. You can only watch so much content on Vessel, but you can watch all the content on youtube. When using Vessel, you have to switch between platforms to enjoy content which was joined before.

When you choose to be a Youtuber, you stay on Youtube. When you distribute your content via Vessel, you are a VoD provider whos archive happens to be on Youtube.

And even if the business model works (which i highly doubt), you are completly depending on Vessel. Its like a Multichannel network, but worse.

I would pay, not because I could see the videos one week earlyer but because I could suport many Youtubers.

I would pay, not because I could see the videos one week earlyer but because I could suport many Youtubers.

Exactly, but how is the $3 divided? does it go to my subscriptions or to everyone on vessel?

• 3 weeks later...

Vessel is a broke down piece of bolloks!

Just tried watching a video on Linus's channel there with my acc and nothing happens, keeps freezing.

FFS Linus, stay on youtube  and look for additional income elsewhere!

Vessel is a broke down piece of bolloks!

Just tried watching a video on Linus's channel there with my acc and nothing happens, keeps freezing.

FFS Linus, stay on youtube  and look for additional income elsewhere!

Linus is still on Youtube what are you even on about, he never left youtube just on multiple platforms and Vessel works fine for me.

I'm not really liking the player since it won't successfully stream high quality video for me, or if I change from low to high quality the video doesn't resume playing it just goes black and I have to reload the page, I know it's all early days and stuff but damn that is annoying.

I also don't like the way I can't bookmark the LTT Vessel channel and have it go straight to videos, it just doesn't work for me, which is weird.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

I really love vessel and i have a free year becuase of linustech so thats good, unbox therapy is on there, my main gripe is NO MOBILE APP wtf is with that? I have to watch LTT on my laptop, for youtube i use my Moto G / Nexus usually

OLD-SCHOOL - Intel Pentium 4 SL6WF with HYPERTHREADING! - ACER 651M03-6L Mobo - Saphire R9600 PRO 256mb AGP Card - 2gb DDR - 40gb IDE HDD - 430w PSU

The only thing I like with vessel is the fact that the comment section is not riddled with idiots and trolls, which assuming vessel manages to get popular will go away, and even if it doesn't the forum is still there.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

The only thing I like with vessel is the fact that the comment section is not riddled with idiots and trolls, which assuming vessel manages to get popular will go away, and even if it doesn't the forum is still there.

it is nigh unreadable and simply listed from first comment to last

comment though.. it's useless. 

Linus is still on Youtube what are you even on about, he never left youtube just on multiple platforms and Vessel works fine for me.

Wow, really?

I figure you need a complete and accurate description of my thoughts because it seems you cannot come to a conclusion of my sentence on your own mind power.

I know he never left youtube, I know why he is here, I've been subbed to him from almost the very beginning and am going to be so. But Crapssel is not going to get my support, because it is a paid service and it sucs!

Sure, for Linus's sake I created an acc there just to support him and his team, but it is sad that the content is there before youtube because, as mentioned after my post here, vessel's site (server and UI) is bad and it doesn't function properly.

Honestly, I signed up for Vessel, found LTT and Battlefield friends then kind of...Forgot it existed - I can count the number of times that I've used it on one hand, so honestly I can't see myself paying for the service no matter how cheap they make it...And it probably doesn't help that I found the videos pretty damned unwatchable anyway. I get that Linus is pushing for more alternative content than just reviews like Scrapyard wars...But I'd suggest setting up a patreon account or something.

TLDR: Vessel has about as much chance of my custom as this new Tidal music service does.

Fractal Design R2 Define, Core i5-4670k@3.40Ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Ram

Zotac GTX 780 OC, BenQ XL2410T 1920x1080 120hz, LG 29EA73-P 29 Ultra wide

Crucial M4 250gb SSD, 2x3tb Western Digital Caviar Black partitioned into 1.36tb each, Razer Black Widow 2013 edition, Razer Deathadder, Logitech G13. 

- Never Loads

- No android App

- Videos load slowly

- YouTube is easier to use as other subscribers haven't moved to vessel yet