When to water cool?

Go to solution Solved by Pomfinator,

Water cooling is a "because I can" type of thing.  Pretty much any system is absolutely fine running crazy overclocks on air, since OCing is not just dependent on temperature but stability of the voltage as well.  

It's also far harder to maintain, takes a long time to set-up, costs significantly more money, and has a very high probability of messing up.

Hello

I was recently looking at some APUs and CPUs for a PC build and noticed default clock speeds of up to 4.0GHz. That particular APU (AMD A6-Series A6-6420K (Black Edition)) was a dual core, using 65W of power. My current CPU is hardly anything crazy (Intel i3-3217U @ 1.80GHz) so I was wondering at what point a processor gets so powerful it needs to be water cooled?

Thanks

"The FPS I got was this big!"

As far as I know its mostly just for looks and sound.

But surely when you enter the realm of 4.5GHz+ you'll need something beefier than a 120mm fan?

Well you should begin water cooling whenever you want to, its not just for looks or sound since you would still need a fan and fans make noise.

Well you should begin water cooling whenever you want to, its not just for looks or sound since you would still need a fan and fans make noise.

but the fan(s) won't have to spin as fast, producing much less noise

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

but the fan(s) won't have to spin as fast, producing much less noise

I really don't mind too much about fan noise.

Hello

I was recently looking at some APUs and CPUs for a PC build and noticed default clock speeds of up to 4.0GHz. That particular APU (AMD A6-Series A6-6420K (Black Edition)) was a dual core, using 65W of power. My current CPU is hardly anything crazy (Intel i3-3217U @ 1.80GHz) so I was wondering at what point a processor gets so powerful it needs to be water cooled?

Thanks

When you have components worth water cooling, time and money to burn and are disappointed with the temperatures and noise of your build even after having thoroughly tried air cooling.

Water cooling have become more of a novelty nowadays because even strong CPU's like the 5960X and 300W GPU's like the 290X can be effectively air cooled. 

So emphasis on the when you have time and money to burn.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Water cooling is a "because I can" type of thing.  Pretty much any system is absolutely fine running crazy overclocks on air, since OCing is not just dependent on temperature but stability of the voltage as well.  

It's also far harder to maintain, takes a long time to set-up, costs significantly more money, and has a very high probability of messing up.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Low-End/Mid Range, Air coolers win everytime in pure performance

But once you get in to the 240mm/280mm/360mm, then the water coolers seem to win.

I would say mostly for looks and sound and a lower range.

Water cooling is primarily for overclocking enthusiasts. Air doesn't have the cooling capacity as that of liquid. Tho today with AIO systems flooding the market (get it? "flooding" lel) people tend to chose them over air coolers simply because they perform much better at the same price point and are much more ascetically pleasing rather than having a big brick of aluminum in your side window.