Question(don't know where else to put it)

How much would it cost to host a minecraft server hosting 22000 people on avg. and do monthly mantince on it, including upgrades to hold more people and add more games onto the server? This is to settle an argument between me and my friends.

How much would it cost to host a minecraft server hosting 22000 people on avg. and do monthly mantince on it, including upgrades to hold more people and add more games onto the server? This is to settle an argument between me and my friends.

22.000 people at 1 time?

Or 22K per month and like 32 players max??

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

22.000 people at 1 time?

Or 22K per month and like 32 players max??

22,000 people at one time on avg.

22000 people O.o

Fairly sure that would have to be spread across multiple servers.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

22000 people O.o

Fairly sure that would have to be spread across multiple servers.

Don't Forgot Internet Bandwith

Possible, look at hypixel, mineplex, any other big mc server

thats not one server

thats thousands of servers with people spread across all of them

it is not possible to have 22k people on a single server

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

They must use a cluster. I am sorry but no server on this planet can do 22k concurrent users on MC At once. Especially on Java.

It would Nope the fuck out instantly.

You need at least 200gb of ram and at least 750mbs up and down

so....probbly x99  i7 5960x and 250gbs ish ram

so probbly going to cost 5-7grand plus  a shit ton a month for internet

NOT FUCKING WORTH IT

wait nvm my math was for 2,000 people no 22,000 peolple

Legit thats nearly impossible for the avg consumer 

NOT FUCKING WORTH IT

According to this: http://canihostaminecraftserver.com/

Not even 10Gb/s up and down, along with 1TB of RAM is enough for 22,000 players at once.

--Edit--

10Gb/s up and down + 2TB of RAM is enough according to that calculator.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

They must use a cluster. I am sorry but no server on this planet can do 22k concurrent users on MC At once. Especially on Java.

It would Nope the fuck out instantly.

Yeah the highest number of player on a single MC server ever was a few thousand, and this was with a custom coded server, obviously not java lol

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

NOT FUCKING WORTH IT

lol

This one 60 dollar p/month host has 150 max. players :P

It's probably not gonna happen with 1 host, so I'll say... 

Too much.. It's gonna cost too darn much.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Yeah the highest number of player on a single MC server ever was a few thousand, and this was with a custom coded server, obviously not java lol

What do you mean Not Java? MC Is Java... you need to use Java.

According to this: http://canihostaminecraftserver.com/

Not even 10Gb/s up and down, along with 1TB of RAM is enough for 22,000 players at once.

yea my math was for 2k i didn't even think it was 22k

thats just dumb

What do you mean Not Java? MC Is Java... you need to use Java.

no, people have coded high performance servers using C++ and other languages because java is really bad for MMO servers

the client is still java, but the servers are not coded in java

Spoiler

no, people have coded high performance servers using C++ and other languages because java is really bad for MMO servers

the client is still java, but the servers are not coded in java

Wow, Never knew that, Thanks!

(For anyone wanting a link) : http://mc-server.org/

yea my math was for 2k i didn't even think it was 22k

thats just dumb

Well, if they bought a server for it, it would cost over $10K

Too much.  As said above, I don't believe it's even possible.

Corsair 700D | ASUS Z97-A | Intel Core i7 4790K | Corsair H110 | EVGA GTX 980Ti SOC ACX | Patriot 1600LL - 4 x 4GB |

Crucial C300 128GB SSD | Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD | Western Digital Black 1TB | Corsair AX850 Pro Gold | ASUS Xonar DS |