cheapish rads

jdmilion

Are there any cheapish rads ($50-60) that would cool better than a CM 212 evo, or would an evo be ample? i just want to be able to superclock my pentium g3258 to like 4.5gHz or more.

I get 4.5 with my H55 on my G3258

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

You are better off with the CM 212 Evo than a thin 120mm rad AIO.

System: Thinkpad T460

I get 4.5 with my H55 on my G3258

That has a lot more to do with the chip and voltage than the cooler...

That has a lot more to do with the chip and voltage than the cooler...

I don't understand what you're saying... I answered the question by telling him that I had what he wanted out of a G3258 and I told him what rad I used for it.

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

I don't understand what you're saying... I answered the question by telling him that I had what he wanted out of a G3258 and I told him what rad I used for it.

I was just saying you should mention your temps along with clock speeds.

Yah what temps?

Are there any cheapish rads ($50-60) that would cool better than a CM 212 evo, or would an evo be ample? i just want to be able to superclock my pentium g3258 to like 4.5gHz or more.

That depends on your setup. If you put the rad as intake you'll get a boost over the Evo, but if you're gonna put it last in line it'll not make a difference. 

CPU: i7-3960x @ 5GHz Motherboard: Rampage IV Gene ​RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 1866 STORAGE:  WD Green 3TB + Crucial BX100 250GB + 16GB Primocache

GPU: 7990 + 7970 @ 1190c, 1515m Case: Phanteks Enthoo Mini XL PSU: AX1200i Monitor: Qnix QX2710 @ 110Hz

Cooling: D5 + X-RES 140CSQ, Supreme HF Cu, EK-FC7970/7990, 10xSP120 QE, RX240 + RX360

Yah what temps?

35 idle and 75 on full load.

It's in a elite 130 case with the fan that came with the case.

My Hyper 212 EVO hits 4.4GHz at 64c load....

Wut

It's at 1.36v and it's about the same cooler. I could get 4.4 with just 1.26v and it would be a lot cooler.

Then why don't you?....

Because I can do 4.5ghz at a safe temperature.

Doesn't matter you're still putting more volts than you probably should be in to your CPU...

Give me some evidence please

Give me some evidence please

It's true. I'm not sure about the exact voltage for the Haswell Pentium, but voltage is key to degradation of any chip.

At high voltage you need to consider electromigration within the silicon. When higher than recommended voltage is applied, your electrical pathways will degrade faster, and with increased resistance due to increased temperature, your pathways will eventually find an easier route, and short circuit. 

That's why lower temps is a good thing for overclockers. It lowers the resistance, and thus helps reduce electromigration within the silicon. It won't eliminate it, but it'll slow it down to match your desired lifespan.

Given the same parameters, higher voltages will always degrade a chip faster than sticking to lower stock voltages.

If anyone want more specifics just let me know. Otherwise you'll do best to check out Black's Equation, which defines the effect on lifespan due to electromigration in semiconductors. It's pretty abstract, and don't have very much practical use even in electrical engineering, but it's pretty easy to determine that there is a direct relation between voltage, current, temperature and the estimated lifespan or MTTF.

CPU: i7-3960x @ 5GHz Motherboard: Rampage IV Gene ​RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 1866 STORAGE:  WD Green 3TB + Crucial BX100 250GB + 16GB Primocache

GPU: 7990 + 7970 @ 1190c, 1515m Case: Phanteks Enthoo Mini XL PSU: AX1200i Monitor: Qnix QX2710 @ 110Hz

Cooling: D5 + X-RES 140CSQ, Supreme HF Cu, EK-FC7970/7990, 10xSP120 QE, RX240 + RX360

It's true. I'm not sure about the exact voltage for the Haswell Pentium, but voltage is key to degradation of any chip.

At high voltage you need to consider electromigration within the silicon. When higher than recommended voltage is applied, your electrical pathways will degrade faster, and with increased resistance due to increased temperature, your pathways will eventually find an easier route, and short circuit. 

That's why lower temps is a good thing for overclockers. It lowers the resistance, and thus helps reduce electromigration within the silicon. It won't eliminate it, but it'll slow it down to match your desired lifespan.

Given the same parameters, higher voltages will always degrade a chip faster than sticking to lower stock voltages.

If anyone want more specifics just let me know. Otherwise you'll do best to check out Black's Equation, which defines the effect on lifespan due to electromigration in semiconductors. It's pretty abstract, and don't have very much practical use even in electrical engineering, but it's pretty easy to determine that there is a direct relation between voltage, current, temperature and the estimated lifespan or MTTF.

That makes sense. I just don't really care about my $50 CPU that much and I don't plan on using it for very long.

That makes sense. I just don't really care about my $50 CPU that much and I don't plan on using it for very long.

Then we share the same attitude. I was hesitant when I felt like pushing my sandy-e in the beginning, but that rarely stops me nowadays. Just keep them cool and don't use insane voltages, and your system will most likely outlive your expectations (Y)