CPU, MB & Memory for $400?

Jmk600

I'm looking to invest in upgrades for my computer matching up to (or around $50 over) $400. I'm not sure on what processor to get and I'm kind of clueless on motherboards. 

I render videos and use Photoshop A LOT, but I sometimes play games. I have a 750w PSU and a GTX 760 windforce edition. 

I'm debating on a FX 8350 or an i5-4690k. I want to go intel because of hyperthreading, but the extra cores of AMD are tempting.

I'm clueless on motherboards, honestly. I'm not going to SLI anything. Also, what's the difference between mATX and ATX?

RAM I would like 16gb. I currently have 8GB but have no clue what brand it is as it's not on the stick. (I bought this computer from someone)

Any help would be absolutely amazing. I'm a new member and I'm sure the Linus community is great :)

@Jmk600 i5 is better (for gaming), more cores is not always better.

mATX is smaller than ATX (I believe the M in mATX stand for micro or mini)

You want to get 16GB extra or 16GB total with the 8GB you already have?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

@Jmk600 i5 is better (for gaming), more cores is not always better.

mATX is smaller than ATX (I believe the M in mATX stand for micro or mini)

You want to get 16GB extra or 16GB total with the 8GB you already have?

I would like 16g, not including my current 8. 

Is that the only difference between the 2 MBs?

i just want to add here that while amd's CPUs look really good on paper, they're really not as powerful as they seem, you get double the cores with the amd over the i5, but with the i5 you (roughly) get twice the per-core performance. (this comes from limited personal testing, and is probably not a full image of the situation)

and for atx vs matx:

matx is smaller, meaning it'll fit in a smaller case, but it'll also have less features than an atx mobo, and you also get only 4 expansion slots, over atx's 7.

with less features i mean something along these lines:

matx has less board space, so there is almost never room for a seperated audio spot on the board (some people really want this feature) there is usually less IO options on-board (like extra audio in/out, etc)

an also really big feature is that a lot of ATX boards have the first PCIe 16x slot on the second spot, rather than the first, so theres more room for a big cooler.

I'm looking to invest in upgrades for my computer matching up to (or around $50 over) $400. I'm not sure on what processor to get and I'm kind of clueless on motherboards. 

I render videos and use Photoshop A LOT, but I sometimes play games. I have a 750w PSU and a GTX 760 windforce edition. 

I'm debating on a FX 8350 or an i5-4690k. I want to go intel because of hyperthreading, but the extra cores of AMD are tempting.

I'm clueless on motherboards, honestly. I'm not going to SLI anything. Also, what's the difference between mATX and ATX?

RAM I would like 16gb. I currently have 8GB but have no clue what brand it is as it's not on the stick. (I bought this computer from someone)

Any help would be absolutely amazing. I'm a new member and I'm sure the Linus community is great :)

you should go with the i5...more powerful compared to AMD......it will complete faster or render faster compared to AMD even with the more cores....

mATX is micro atx or a smaller version of the ATX

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Uhhh..
Maybe something like this?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($117.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $407.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-27 17:53 EST-0500

I'm not very good at this stuff, so if anyone sees anything wrong, please correct me.

(Such as I did not choose a aftermarket cooler, should I?)

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Uhhh..

Maybe something like this?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Micro Center)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($117.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $407.96

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-27 17:53 EST-0500

I'm not very good at this stuff, so if anyone sees anything wrong, please correct me.

(Such as I did not choose a aftermarket cooler, should I?)

Depends if hes gunna overclock or not and this isnt a big deal but i would ask if they lived near a Micro center otherwise its 30 dollars more ;/ 

Depends if hes gunna overclock or not and this isnt a big deal but i would ask if they lived near a Micro center otherwise its 30 dollars more ;/ 

I live near a micro center, but I don't have the time to drive there. It's unfortunate. Also, I'm not looking to overclock.

I literally just chose the option in the US PCPartPicker to choose the cheapest stores.

I live near a micro center, but I don't have the time to drive there. It's unfortunate. Also, I'm not looking to overclock.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $417.96

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-27 17:58 EST-0500

Something like this if you're not overclocking? 

Do you even need Z97 if you don't overclock? 

Bro the i5 4690k would fuck the amd in any scenario 

not in everything.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $417.96

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-27 17:58 EST-0500

Something like this if you're not overclocking? 

Do you even need Z97 if you don't overclock? 

I'd like to purchase everything from one store. I appreciate the help :)

I'd like to purchase everything from one store. I appreciate the help :)

I'm not from the US, so don't know which stores are the cheapest.

I let PCPP choose the stores.

You can probably cut the price by getting a cheaper motherboard (AsRock is a cheaper but definitely good brand),

but I must say I don't know a lot about motherboards, so cant help you with that :(

U dont have the time to drive to a microcenter well bud u should make some for that cpu

You guys don't think an i7 or a Xeon is a better option for someone doing lots of video work?

Yes even I know it's better, but none are in my price range.

Hyper-threading is only present on Intel Core i3s, Intel Core i7s, and some models of Xeons.

Don't let the eight cores tempt you. It sounds great on paper, but these are eight weak cores that share resources and when they are all FULLY utilized in almost perfect parallel workloads, they are only mildly faster than the i5-4690K's four cores.

In most games that require a lot of CPU horsepower, the i5-4690K pulls ahead significantly since games aren't parallel workloads (although with DX12 draw calls will be), and at times certain threads are going to have higher loads than others... and the FX struggles in situations where one thread is getting pushed heavily since its single-threaded performance is very weak.

The difference between mATX and ATX is the size. ATX boards are larger, and as such have more features. An ATX board has more PCI-e slots and will likely have more headers, sata ports, etc.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W