Canadian DRAM Class Action Lawsuit.

pwn_intended

So I have just been made aware of a class action lawsuit taking place in Canada regarding price fixing on RAM that happened from 1999-2002.

Basically things like this are ridiculous as Linus and Luke have covered on the WAN show a few times in the last week, but I did want to let all you fellow canucks know that you are entitled to $20 if you bought some sort of electronic device containing DRAM around the turn of the century.

Here is the link: https://themoneyismine.ca

now can these stupid lawsuits stop.

EDIT: there is also a pretty *special* video that the law firm on the case posted worth checking out if you want a chuckle. http://www.dramclassaction.com/

When in doubt, re-format.

Basically things like this are ridiculous as Linus and Luke have covered on the WAN show a few times in the last week

The WAN show airs only once a week and class action lawsuits, while not terribly rewarding for consumers, have a purpose as they provide an disincentive for companies to do bad things.

The WAN show airs only once a week and class action lawsuits, while not terribly rewarding for consumers, have a purpose as they provide an disincentive for companies to do bad things.

Obviously that was a typo, they have covered it a few times in the last FEW weeks.

When in doubt, re-format.

Hell no they shouldn't stop.

Class action suits aren't about greedy consumers seeking compensation, it's about teaching the wrongdoing companies a lesson. Simple as that.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

How am i supposed to remember all the stuff I bought? 

Well, if you only bought a single item (Or don't care enough if you bought multiple ones), you can perform a "simple claim", that takes about 3 minutes. No proof of purchase is required.

However, if you want to claim multiple items, a "standard claim" is required, and you'll likely need to provide documentation that verifies proof of purchase, and you'll need to provide a specific list of all the equipment purchased that qualifies.

I filled out the simple claim. We bought a Compaq PC back during that time frame. We'll see if I ever see my $20 CAD though.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

so according to this...pretty much 3 years = 1 gen of all electronics...so everyone that doesn't live under a freaking rock is entitled to compensation that's living in canada (granted they aren't 12)

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Class action suits aren't about greedy consumers seeking compensation-

You're right, it's also about greedy lawyers.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Is this even legit? The website and everything looks so real and legitimate that it seems too good to be true....

The site mentions which lawyers are involved but it doesn't say who exactly is getting sued for $80 million... and wouldn't this have hit the news other than redflagdeals.com? 

Doesn't this seem like an information mining scheme? You give them your personal data and you may or my not get $20...

I'm just afraid that in a week's time the news headlines will be along the lines of "Fake class action lawsuit scam tricks millions of Canadians into giving their personal data with $20"

it's about teaching the wrongdoing companies a lesson.

If that's what it takes to make you feel important, so be it.

For the rest of us, charging a corporation a pittance decades after the fact, after the leaders of the company have long since left is no incentive. If you don't like what a company does, buy something else. Don't line the pockets of the self-serving.

For the rest of us, charging a corporation a pittance decades after the fact, after the leaders of the company have long since left is no incentive. If you don't like what a company does, buy something else. Don't line the pockets of the self-serving.

It is incentive. Whether it's a decade after or a month after, that company is still being forced to fork up some money in a class action suit as punishment for the company's previous actions.

You make your opinion sound like it's fact; it's not...

Привет товарищ ))))

Mother fracker do I ever qualify, and not just for this one but a couple of them.

1. What are the other computer component class actions?

There are other similar class actions ongoing in Canada relating to price fixing of other computer components involving one or more of the Class Counsel law firms. You may be also be a class member in these other lawsuits involving:

• LCD: 10” or larger liquid crystal displays, between 1998 and 2002;
  • SRAM: static random access memory, between 1998 and 2005;
  • Optical disc drives, between 2005 and the present; and
  • Lithium ion rechargeable batteries, between 2002 and 2012.

Price fixing is one of the moustache twiddlingly evil things that effect you directly as a consumer, why would you want there to be no disincentive to this behaviour? Allowing this behaviour means that the price of RAM won't be decided by supply and demand, it will be decided behind closed doors by a group that only has the goal of extracting money out of consumers.

I'd rather these manufacturers strive for the lowest cost, best quality solution to vie for my dollars.

"Why did you even wake up this morning?"

- A very bad man.

It is incentive. Whether it's a decade after or a month after, that company is still being forced to fork up some money in a class action suit as punishment for the company's previous actions.

omfg an opinion expressed on a public forum!? SOMEONE CALL THE CITATION POLICE! SHIT I'M GOING TO FAIL THIS ASSIGNMENT SO BAD!

Get over yourself.

They need to up the penalties for price fixing and anti consumerist behavior, to the tune of "you will lose 51% of your current holdings". No more "damages" none of that horse shit, time for a fucking hammer smack instead.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

omfg an opinion expressed on a public forum!? SOMEONE CALL THE CITATION POLICE! SHIT I'M GOING TO FAIL THIS ASSIGNMENT SO BAD!

Get over yourself.

No need to get so offended buddy, like you said it's a public forum.

Getting all upset because someone doesn't agree with you. Lol? "Get over yourself".

Привет товарищ ))))

Get over yourself.

Dude I have to agree with @Whorax here. You jumped all over him for what? Because his opinion is different then yours? Chill bruh.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Absolutely agree. Companies will always test the limit of what they're able to get away with. That's when it gets unchecked that we get shit like the housing market crash. 

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

Dude I have to agree with @Whorax here. You jumped all over him for what? Because his opinion is different then yours? Chill bruh.

He didn't state an opinion. He stated that what I stated was an opinion as if that was some kind of rebuttal.

No need to get so offended buddy, like you said it's a public forum.

Getting all upset because someone doesn't agree with you. Lol? "Get over yourself".

wtf I'm not "offended" that you have a different opinion. I'm pointing out that "that's an opinion" isn't a rebuttal. No shit it's an opinion. This is a forum full of opinions. Your original post was an opinion just as much as mine was.

Actually moreso when you stop and look at what I actually said.

Class action lawsuits take a long time: fact

The amount they normally settle for usually isn't that much in relation to the budgets of the companies involved: fact

The amount they settle for is even less in relation to how much the consumer gets at the end: fact

All in all, this means they're not worth it and you're better off judging companies with your wallet: opinion.

Also someone can't disagree with something you say without you going on about how offended they must be? Again, get over yourself.

Also someone can't disagree with something you say without you going on about how offended they must be? Again, get over yourself.

You're clearly offended. I'm not going to argue with someone who gets bent out of shape because someone told you your opinion isn't fact.

Have a good one bud.

Привет товарищ ))))

You're clearly offended. I'm not going to argue with someone who gets bent out of shape because someone told you your opinion isn't fact.

Have a good one bud.

Do you need a diagram to explain how this is supposed to work? There's a bunch of facts, you look at them and draw a conclusion, I look at them and draw a conclusion, we argue opinions to gain insight. So far you seem to be struggling with the concept of literally everything said on this forum being opinion.

If your go-to response to someone disagreeing with you is "that's just an opinion," and your follow-up to that is "lol you're so offended" what on earth are you even doing on the Internet?

Do you need a diagram to explain how this is supposed to work? There's a bunch of facts, you look at them and draw a conclusion, I look at them and draw a conclusion, we argue opinions to gain insight. So far you seem to be struggling with the concept of literally everything said on this forum being opinion.

If your go-to response to someone disagreeing with you is "that's just an opinion," and your follow-up to that is "lol you're so offended" what on earth are you even doing on the Internet?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the problem is this:

For the rest of us, charging a corporation a pittance decades after the fact, after the leaders of the company have long since left is no incentive. etc

You're stating this, as if you're speaking for everyone. When you clearly aren't.

I happen to agree with @Whorax and his opinion, that simply not buying the offending companies is not enough punishment. Many people don't care. Other people never hear about such scandals. There is often no punishment whatsoever for these companies, until a Class Action lawsuit.

Not saying my opinion is correct and yours is wrong, since they're both just opinions, but you literally bit his head off when he replied to you, fairly calmly. You were the first person to use "aggressive" wording, here:

It wasn't about him making himself feel important. Sure, some people may do it for that reason, but for many of us, it's about making sure that companies at least have some discouragement for abusing us as consumers.

You just need to relax man. As you said, it's just an internet forum.