What happens when an overvoltage happens

Jerombolo

A bad scenario: Thunder outside and it hits a powercable, these big ones, and you get an overvoltage. Will it bust your PSU and all your hardware or can the PSU stop the power?

it can and it cant, it entirely depends on how your house is wired, if you have a good fuse box then the fuses will blow and nothing else, also if it hits overhead power cables then the lightning rod will deal with

Well the block I live in is over 50 years old. But let's say it would get to an overvoltage in the block, would it just bust everything what is connected to power?

If it takes your PSU there is a pretty good chance it will take other things as well...

As with most electronics make sure they are protected, rather it be by good grounding and fuses in the house or by isolating them using a surge protector or a UPS.

If you're worried get surge protectors, at $10 a pop or so I would much rather loose those than any of my toys.

If it takes your PSU there is a pretty good chance it will take other things as well...

As with most electronics make sure they are protected, rather it be by good grounding and fuses in the house or by isolating them using a surge protector or a UPS.

If you're worried get surge protectors, at $10 a pop or so I would much rather loose those than any of my toys.

Don't be afraid to spend money on a decent surge protector if you live in an area that's prone to lightning strikes or power surges. The $10 cheapos will take one hit and die. Not only that, but sometimes they fail to stop surges, and sometimes they catch fire. I have had many customers come back to me with a melted piece of plastic that somebody else sold them. Decent ones won't catch fire, and can be reset over and over again. Sure, they cost more- but you only have to buy it once.