Standing desks vs sitting desks

I just wanted to see if anyone has any experience and preference, as I am looking at getting a new one. I saw slick's new setup with a standing desk and heard they were supposed to be good for your health or something (?), any opinions?

Are they practical for long-haul working like writing reports/essays/dissertations?

Are you not entertained!?

I just wanted to see if anyone has any experience and preference, as I am looking at getting a new one. I saw slick's new setup with a standing desk and heard they were supposed to be good for your health or something (?), any opinions?

Are they practical for long-haul working like writing reports/essays/dissertations?

Yes, once you find the right height, they are more comfortable imo.

Sitting for hours on end is not good for your health. Standing is better. Having a treadmill would make it even healthier. :P

Make it a poll. Standing vs sitting. I pick standing.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Make it a poll.

i aim to please :P

Are you not entertained!?

In the summer I live at my camp so my PC is set up strangely. The tower itself goes under the bed and the monitor is squished between the mattress and wall. I mostly lay down on a pillow while using it.

My plans for when I complete my new PC build (I have no respect for this Dell..) are to mount my new monitor to the wall and have the new tower out from under the bed so it doesn't get so hot. I also plan on attaching my keyboard and a mouse pad to a fold down "desk" (Board attached to the wall with a hinge..)

I thought standing desks were convertible into sitting desks

But I guess those are pretty expensive

all of your answers are here in this video!!

RIG:|Corsair Obsidion 650d|MSI Mpower Z87| i7-4770k (4Ghz)|Corsair H100 cooler|16Gb corsair dominator platinum 1866Mhz|  EVGA GTX 780 classified (runs at 1240Mhz)| 1200W pc power and cooling silencer mkIII PSU|recon sound blaster champion series| 1Tb WD black| 256Gb Samsung 840 pro| Monitors:| Samsung px2370| ASUS VG248QE| X-star 27" 2560x1440 korean monitor (runs at 100Hz)| other stuff:| Razer black widow ultimate| Razer mamba 2013 edition| Razer Vespula mousepad| Klipsch X10i| Ultrasone Pro750| Harmon/Kardon sound sticks 2| 

Sitting desk. I rarely sit for more than an hour without at least taking a short walk for some reason or another and I don't usually spend a full day indoors. Standing for that long would probably just be too tiring in the long run and I prefer to have a comfortable desk chair.

The only standing station I use is in the datacenter at work. For home a seat will be my preference. The gym will keep me healthy.  

Asus Gryphon w/Thermal Armor / Intel i5 4670K / Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB / Asus ROG Matrix 7970 Platinum / Samsung 830 / Seagate Barracuda

Corsair AX860 / Corsiar 350D / Corsair H100i / Windows 8 Pro

I'm very curious what it's like to use a standing desk. If anything I'm willing to fork over a bunch of money to get the motorized one that goes from standing to sitting and vice versa

I'm on my feet for most of the day, between walking to work, being on my feet for hours there, then walking back. It's nice to relax after a day, so I prefer sitting desks.

I wonder how hard would be for me to build a motorized desk for eyefinity?

I currently have a sitting one but I definitely prefer standing desk.

Granted the only standing desk I've used was an adjustable one so I could covert it to sitting within seconds.  Using a computer for 10+ hours a day, it makes a big difference.

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

I think it really varies on what you are actually doing.

If you are bench as Slick was removing and swapping gpu's, cpu's coolers, moving from station to station, standing is definitely better. However for actually processing on a machine, that is review writing, essays or designing sitting would absolutely have to be better.

Lucky for me I have Herman Miller Aeron chairs and they are god...

Standing desk, with a tall chair so i can choose if i want to sit or standing LOL. 

• FX 6300 Hexacore 3.5 GHZ

HD7770 Vapor X OC

Gskill RipjawsX 2x4 GB 1600mhz

standing most of the time. I generally have to keep myself moving to do things.