Audio-Technica ATH-M50 worth it?

Zsaqwes8
Go to solution Solved by SSL,

Thanks, i've done some research and it really looks like something i'd want, but i've seen some complaints about the bass lacking. Is there a solution to this problem?

It's not lacking if you like neutral bass. If you don't like neutral bass, the best solution is to get a different headphone.

Currently I use x12 turtle beaches, and recently i've been looking into getting a higher quality headset. The turtle beaches provide pretty good quality, and it's hard to imagine higher quality sound since i've never really used any amazing headset, so i'm wondering if all the praise is really noticeable.

Currently my biggest complaints with turtle beaches are the volume control that is super close to my waist, so I am always accidentally raising and lowering the volume, I find my self constantly getting the wire stuck under the chair, and It gets uncomfortable after long uses. I would purchase the coiled wire version which I think would eliminate annoying wire issues. I read that the Audio-Technica is heavier however, so I may just become even more uncomfortable. I know these aren't sound related complaints, but I don't need to worry about complaints to appreciate if the Audio-Technica provides a much better sound quality.

What do you guys recommend? Is it worth the money and would the quality be a noticeable step up?

Thanks a lot in advance

the x12's are terrible, the pressure is bad on the temples, i know from experience.

the ath-m50(x)'s are far better than the x12's

i do however suggest also looking at the hs 558, 518 and hyperx clouds 

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Depends on how much you see them for.

I've only heard good things about the ATH-M50s. MKBHD swears by them. 

If you use TBs, you won't have a microphone when switching to the ATH-M50s, but I think you could buy a cheap desktop mic to make up for it.

My answer? Yeah. They are worth it.

Depends on how much you are paying. I bought mine for $80 during a sale on amazon. I wouldn't spend more than $100 on them honestly. 

Edit: It sounds like you want a headset. In that case i recommend the Hyper X cloud. 

If you can, look for something open instead.  Something like an AD700x, HD558, DT990 are great choices, depending the type of sound you like.  M50(x) are not good value for money, if you want it you can get the M40x instead, unfortunately it doesn't come with the portable cable, but you can purchase it separately.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

If you use TBs, you won't have a microphone when switching to the ATH-M50s, but I think you could buy a cheap desktop mic to make up for it.

My answer? Yeah. They are worth it.

I swear at them.

Pomfi's suggestions are good.

That's because MKBHD probably uses no other headphone. For someone who could spend $5K on monitors, I'm surprised he stopped at M50, especially since it's not even good for monitoring

That's because MKBHD probably uses no other headphone. For someone who could spend $5K on monitors, I'm surprised he stopped at M50, especially since it's not even good for monitoring

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He has real studio monitors anyway, no reason for him to use headphones for a job that speakers do better.  I think he recently replaced them too, think he has HS8s now, taking into account how huge they looked on camera.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Thanks guys, and also I wouldn't need a microphone because I have a blue yeti.

the x12's are terrible, the pressure is bad on the temples, i know from experience.

the ath-m50(x)'s are far better than the x12's

i do however suggest also looking at the hs 558, 518 and hyperx clouds 

the Sennheiser Hd 558 looks very comfortable, would the sound quality be a good step up aswell as the comfort?

Thanks guys, and also I wouldn't need a microphone because I have a blue yeti.

the Sennheiser Hd 558 looks very comfortable, would the sound quality be a good step up aswell as the comfort?

Yes and yes. I hear the camping force can be a bit high but that's nothing that some stretching won't fix.

Yes and yes. I hear the camping force can be a bit high but that's nothing that some stretching won't fix.

Thanks, i've done some research and it really looks like something i'd want, but i've seen some complaints about the bass lacking. Is there a solution to this problem?

It's not lacking if you like neutral bass. If you don't like neutral bass, the best solution is to get a different headphone.

Whats a neutral bass?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Whats a neutral bass?

Neutral as in the adjective neutral. Flat or gently rolled off, not boosted in any way.

Neutral as in the adjective neutral. Flat or gently rolled off, not boosted in any way.

So is it as punchy as some other "boosted" bass or is it clearer?

So is it as punchy as some other "boosted" bass or is it clearer?

Could be, depends which frequencies are boosted.

Could be, depends which frequencies are boosted.

I get that a neutral sound is important for music related jobs etc. but for general music listening it doesnt matter if the headset is neutral or not?

I get that a neutral sound is important for music related jobs etc. but for general music listening it doesnt matter if the headset is neutral or not?

It matters if you like a particular sound signature over another. Depends on the music genre as well acoustic/classical music will generally sound very unnatural from a bassy headphone.

It matters if you like a particular sound signature over another. Depends on the music genre as well acoustic/classical music will generally sound very unnatural from a bassy headphone.

And in those cases the m50x's shine, right? But for something like edm music they wouldn't be as good as like the beyerdynamics ad 770 or custom one, corect? And viceversa (if I wrote that correctly)

And in those cases the m50x's shine, right? But for something like edm music they wouldn't be as good as like the beyerdynamics ad 770 or custom one, corect? And viceversa (if I wrote that correctly)

M50x has boosted bass. Looks to me like it is similar to the DT 770: http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID%5B%5D=713&graphID%5B%5D=4313&scale=15

M50x has boosted bass. Looks to me like it is similar to the DT 770: http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID%5B%5D=713&graphID%5B%5D=4313&scale=15

Wait should the line as straight as possible? How can the m50x have such a low line on the right side then if its an "ultra neutral headset"? And does that graph say the dt 770 has less bass?

And does that graph say the dt 770 has less bass?

Depends which frequency you're comparing. Overall I'd say they're about the same, however the DT770 has much more treble which will make them sound more neutral to the human ear.

Wait should the line as straight as possible? How can the m50x have such a low line on the right side then if its an "ultra neutral headset"? And does that graph say the dt 770 has less bass?

That's the thing, it's not really neutral even though marketed as a studio monitor They look about the same bass to me, 770 has more in the top two octaves (5kHz-10khz, 10kHz-20kHz).