Headsets vs Speakers for music?

IMPERIUS

Hi!

I'm looking for an upgrade for around 100eur for listening to music and I don't know if should be looking into headsets like the ath m40x or speakers.

Also, will I need to buy an amp/dac to use with my speakers? I plan to plug them into my pc and will probablly be 2.0 or 2.1 bookshelf speakers. I also like the idea to add an aditional subwoofer for more bass whereas with headsets you're stuck with what you get.

I would like to have punchy bass but clear vocals etc.

What do you recommend getting? And what are some pros/cons of both for music?

Thanks

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

I personally favour headphones, I feel like there is more detail and obviously the bass is fun because it's right up against your head.

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

IMHO I would go for speakers, your ears don't hurt when listening all day, everyday. Speakers have a crisp sound too, even my iirc cheap Acme 2.1 speakers have crisp sound and punchy bass

100€ for speakers? meh

100€ for headphones? yepp, why not.

I'd say headphones sound much better and speakers are better when you want to feel the music. :P

who cares...

Good sound system would cost a lot more, however when talking about headphones and speakers at the same price, headphones will win.

IMHO I would go for speakers, your ears don't hurt when listening all day, everyday. Speakers have a crisp sound too, even my iirc cheap Acme 2.1 speakers have crisp sound and punchy bass

If your ears hurt with headphones then you are listening to them wayyyy too loud

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Hi!

I'm looking for an upgrade for around 100eur for listening to music and I don't know if should be looking into headsets like the ath m40x or speakers.

Also, will I need to buy an amp/dac to use with my speakers? I plan to plug them into my pc and will probablly be 2.0 or 2.1 bookshelf speakers. I also like the idea to add an aditional subwoofer for more bass whereas with headsets you're stuck with what you get.

I would like to have punchy bass but clear vocals etc.

What do you recommend getting? And what are some pros/cons of both for music?

Thanks

What type of audio solution you should get is simply what you think sounds better, personally I like headphones more since I can use them at any time when there are people around etc. If that is not a problem for you and you like the sound of speakers, get that. But surely the most versitile way would be to get headphones, you would also most likely get a lot better sound for your money.

As for the DAC, you won't need one for 100 eur headphones as long as you have a decent sound card or decent built in audio interface in your motherboard or laptop, that is mostly for very high powered headphones that uses a lot more power than a 100 eur pair. I don't think that you would need one for speakers either, but I have a lot less experience in that area!

If your ears hurt with headphones then you are listening to them wayyyy too loud

Not like the hearing but they're just too tight and I have set equalizer to bass, so after I listen to songs with a looot of bas, my hearing will hurt then

Headphones any day of the week for me. Speakers can be nice if you get really expensive ones but for a fraction of the price you can typically get headphones that will give you the same quality of sound.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

As a general rule of thumb you will get better audio from headphones at a significantly cheaper price than you will from speakers. For example, You can spend $700 on a pair of headphones (plus another $500 for the amp and DAC to drive them to excellence) and to get an equivalent speaker quality would cost you around $2,000 per speaker, plus more for a receiver that can handle them.

You get headphones because you want to listen to music on your own and enjoy it as much as you can. You get speakers because you don't want to have to always wear headphones or you want to be able to listen with other people.

Speakers are always better. They also take up more room, wake your neighbors, and get picked up by your microphone.

Speakers > Headphones any day, open headphones try to mimic the spaciousness that speakers offer, but in the end they just mimic it.

Also people grossly overestimate the price-gap between good headphones and speakers.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

There are plenty of speaker solutions that compete with spendy headphones, not sure why everyone thinks you need to go spend 30k on a speaker room with cable risers.

A pair of mica mb42 and a lepai sounds great and is quite cheap.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I prefer headphones over speaker, I can hear the music more clearly, beside it doesn't disturb others.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

at that budget - i vote for headphones and as a good headphone setup are much cheaper than good speaker setup.

a good speaker system will have a much larger sound stage and better punchier lows that headphones can never achieve.

CD Transport: Oppo 105 > RCA: Morrow MA1 / HDMI > Processor: Primare SP33 > RCA: Morrow MA1 > Amplifier: Elektra Theatron 7 > Speaker Cables: Neotech > Speakers: Monitor Audio RS8

For all the people touting speakers, which I agree with, I haven't seen any recommendations in the budget. Personally, I'd go headphones.

For all the people touting speakers, which I agree with, I haven't seen any recommendations in the budget. Personally, I'd go headphones.

I'm too lazy to check Slovenia's eBay listings.

I have a lot of headphones, but speakers win hands down. It is more awesome to shake your entire house instead of just your ear drums. You also have more EQ potential with separate speakers. Also people saying you need to spend a lot more to get as good sound quality out of speakers have not found good budget speakers. 

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B