What cover should I use for the big hole in the Fractal Define R5

PlayModeOn

Hello,

I am putting this on General Discussion because this is an open topic on what should I do with the big gaping hole in the Define R5.

Basically I have a Define R5, on top of the Define R5 you can house large radiators which requires you to remove two of the vent covers for 240/280mm rads.

But because it is offset there is a large gap on the right side of the top frame. I do not like this because it will allow more noise to escape and a single drop of water could potentially destroy everything inside!

Here is a picture of the Define R5 with a 240 rad (this is not my picture because I will be using a 280 rad, currently I have 2x 140mm as exhaust)

msg-104478-0-25980000-1422539168.jpg

Now as you can see there is a rad on the left side which is fine but on the right side the motherboard and everything is exposed. I drink coffee alot so one day I could spill some coffee in there and poof! There goes my PC.

So here is the question, what should I do to cover that hole? Materials?  Also don't worry about the heat since the Define R5 is design to have that top covered in the first place but they overlook the space where there will be no fans or rad.

Now I was also planning to buy fan filters on top of the rad to stop dust from falling into the rad when the system is turned off.  

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

Could just ghetto mod a sort of roof/canopy, allowing air in through the sides and covering the top of the case

Desktop: i7-4790k, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 3TB, 2xR9 290 Vapor-X's (1 working atm), Asus Z97-Pro, NZXT H440 White, 16GB G. Skill Sniper RAM, NZXT HALE V90 850W.

Laptop: Samsung Chromebook 11.6" 

Phone: 8GB Galaxy S4

Ghetto mod a piece of plastic into same piece as the cover and put a grill in it.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Could just ghetto mod a sort of roof/canopy, allowing air in through the sides and covering the top of the case

Yes I know, just don't know what material to use.

Originally I wanted to buy some of these and cut them up and screw them in.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140mm-PC-Fan-Dust-Filter-Dustproof-Case-Computer-Mesh-can-cut-for-smaller-fans-/131347794571?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1e94f04a8b

But before I buy these I want to make sure there are better ideas.

I still want some heat and air to escape but it's no big issue.

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

Could anyone recommend me some cheap foam? That is black, adhesive and not too expensive.

Yes I know, just don't know what material to use.

Originally I wanted to buy some of these and cut them up and screw them in.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140mm-PC-Fan-Dust-Filter-Dustproof-Case-Computer-Mesh-can-cut-for-smaller-fans-/131347794571?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1e94f04a8b

But before I buy these I want to make sure there are better ideas.

I still want some heat and air to escape but it's no big issue.

Perhaps put your PC on a shelf above you, so nothing like that can happen, or just keep the cup at the opposite side of the table. 

I also posted a topic on the subject:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/307655-water-proofing-cases/

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

Perhaps put your PC on a shelf above you, so nothing like that can happen, or just keep the cup at the opposite side of the table. 

I also posted a topic on the subject:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/307655-water-proofing-cases/

That is a good idea but you know....LAN parties at my University. Lots of drinks and drunk people....and hardly any space to place your PC.

I think I'll go with the some dust-filters and cut and fill them on top.

• 2 weeks later...

Or if you wanted to be really fancy you could buy a piece of sheet aluminum from your local hardware store, cut it to the right size (dremel?) , spraypaint it black, and hotglue it to the case :D