What's your reaction when people recommend alienware?

I don't care. Just don't go bragging about it on any tech forums.

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

oh-you-own-an-alienware-you-must-know-al

Current Build + Setup

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro v2 | CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16gb 3600Mhz | GIGABYTE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER OC 8 GB | NZXT H510 Elite | 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | ADATA XPG GAMMIX S7 512GB M.2-2280 NVME | Corsair RM850 80+ Gold Modular PSU | NZXT Kraken X63 | Harman Kardon Soundstick 4 | Koorui 27E1Q

My bro bought one that lasted him 4+ years (its still going) I bought one last year and now its dead.... So now I bash dell and alienware every chance I get....so yeah 

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

I try to show them better options for the price but if that doesn't dissuade them, I let them do what they want with their money.

Tear

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

If it's a desktop, I go ballistic.  Laptop, ehhh debatable, gaming laptops in general don't have very good price/performance anyway.

On a side note I saw someone with an M11x today, so goofy when everyone else and their mom uses the MBPr in my uni.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

I had an Alienware, it was okay.  Overpriced, but actually performed quite well.  I just sold it and bought myself an x99 rig.  It was a lot better value and much more enjoyable to build than just ordering a computer.  I might be a bit of a Dell fanboy, I have an XPS 13 which I love, am about to order a Dell 4k monitor, and I had the Alienware.  I guess I just trust them.  Dell is by no means a bad company, the build quality, performance, and reliability of my XPS 13 is out of this world, but if you have confidence, just build one.  That's pretty much what I say shortened down quite a bit, I tend to ramble on a lot.  

I can't comment on the XPS line, but I can say that when it comes to monitors, Dell makes some damn good products as long as you know what you're looking for. They all have slim, flat, matte bezels, lots of I/O, very flexible stands, and they make 16:10 cheaply, not to mention that they have a large amount of displays that are actually color-calibrated for professional use.

They don't have shiny features like G-Sync, and they don't have high refresh rates, but if you're looking for a no-bullshit monitor that will last you a long time, Dell isn't a bad choice by any means.

Plus every single display they ship has pivot. How can you argue with that?

I had an Alienware Area 51 in 1998. I was big into gaming and not so much into hardware (honestly to me then, overclocking was a scary thing and parts did not snap in like legos like they do now). It was my father's desktop until earlier this year when I got him now new parts and installed them into his machine. It has probably been on nonstop since 1998 and it never had any issues.  Hats off to old Alienware quality.

Moving to the present.....if you want a flashy desktop replacement laptop then sure, grab one, Just understand once you move into the real world, you look really dumb with all the alienware bells and whistles. If you want a super nice desktop....build your own. I remember a youtube video of this "huge" Razer and tech fan who had I think Origin build his computer for him. The bottom line specs were amazing like 3X 980s, custom liquid cooling, and a 5960x etc but it seemed so wrong to me. Half the fun is putting your machine together yourself. Plus who gets a custom loop made by someone else? You need to clean the thing eventually so if you do not have the technical skills to build it in the first place you are just asking for trouble.   

CPU Intel i7 5930k - Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe - RAM Kingston DDR4 32GB - GPU nVidia GeForce GTX980 3way SLI - Case NZXT H440 – Samsung XP941 m.2, Samsung 850 Pro, WD Black, WD Red - PSU Corsair Ax1200i

The place were I live a Mac Pro Costs a lot more than an alienware laptop and the alienware would have better specs (I'm comparing laptops). So not really sure why so much hate...

CPU Intel Core i7-5930K @ 3.5 GHz Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2800MHz GPU 2 x Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming (SLI)

Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 (Gray) Storage 2 x 1TB 850 Pro, 2 x 4TB WD Black PSU Corsair AX1500i (1500W) Display Asus PG348Q Ultrawide - G-Sync

Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma Mouse Razer Mamba Sound Logitech G633 Operating System Windows 10

I had an Alienware Area 51 in 1998. I was big into gaming and not so much into hardware (honestly to me then, overclocking was a scary thing and parts did not snap in like legos like they do now). It was my father's desktop until earlier this year when I got him now new parts and installed them into his machine. It has probably been on nonstop since 1998 and it never had any issues.  Hats off to old Alienware quality.

Moving to the present.....if you want a flashy desktop replacement laptop then sure, grab one, Just understand once you move into the real world, you look really dumb with all the alienware bells and whistles. If you want a super nice desktop....build your own. I remember a youtube video of this "huge" Razer and tech fan who had I think Origin build his computer for him. The bottom line specs were amazing like 3X 980s, custom liquid cooling, and a 5960x etc but it seemed so wrong to me. Half the fun is putting your machine together yourself. Plus who gets a custom loop made by someone else? You need to clean the thing eventually so if you do not have the technical skills to build it in the first place you are just asking for trouble.   

Yea, I agree that alienware laptops are more like portable desktops. But if a guy is going to be travelling a lot, carrying an actual desktop would be a lot more difficult.

CPU Intel Core i7-5930K @ 3.5 GHz Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @ 2800MHz GPU 2 x Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming (SLI)

Case Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 (Gray) Storage 2 x 1TB 850 Pro, 2 x 4TB WD Black PSU Corsair AX1500i (1500W) Display Asus PG348Q Ultrawide - G-Sync

Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma Mouse Razer Mamba Sound Logitech G633 Operating System Windows 10

Well i am close to vomiting when people say Alienware

post-120681-0-61181700-1424340522.gif

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

I dint really care. If they've bought a desktop one, then I might tell them they could have done better throwing money out the window, but if it's a laptop then They've got a good quality device that works well with outstanding warranty and coverage.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I kinda inwardly facepalm.

And then try to convince them that they are overpriced for what you get.

basically this....

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?

pretty much nothing so long as they can afford it or willing to buy it.

IMO people here say building a pc is better and cheaper in most cases this is true.

but building your own power supply is also cheaper and you can choose the quality of your parts but people just go with buy a psu. It's easy just learn how to do it same thing with building your own pc as people say it's easy just try it.

(I can't say much about the other part since the only stuff I know to build that is used inside the chassis is a psu).

Live your life like a dream.

As much as I hate the Alienware "Alien" logo, I'd rather have it than the MSI dragon logo or the Razer snake orgy logo..

It was more about dell. I'm old enough to remember alienware as a boutique system builder putting out some pretty awesome systems, and looking good doing it. I look at dell, and my first question is why would anyone with more than a basic understanding bother? Their low to mid end is decent, although they scimp on anything that isn't actually mentioned on the spec sheet.

decent power supply? Is it listed....well it's not as sexy as that gtx970 it's powering, so no....is it powering it? well it's a 500W no name brand power supply with maybe a 70% efficiency, so not really no...

Motherboard? well it's got a i7 intel cpu (that happens to be 3 generations old) but it's an i7, and we'll brand it as such...

Yeah dell.... trust what you read, and nothing you don't. If it doesn't list spec, and component type on any single piece of hardware you can pretty much guarantee it was something they found on top of a rubbish heap. (I'm exagerating but seriously they got a job lot of something no one else wanted to buy and made a system out of it)

The place were I live a Mac Pro Costs a lot more than an alienware laptop and the alienware would have better specs (I'm comparing laptops). So not really sure why so much hate...

umm, cause you're comparing a mac pro, (which they overcharge for) with an alienware PC (which they overcharge for, but not as much)

I have the alienware alpha, is it overpriced? sure, is it any good? yes, it plays all the latest games at 60+ fps, but why did I buy it instead of making my own? I wanted a second system to put under my tv for games and xbmc, the size of the case is what sold it for me, it would be hard to build something that small for that price so I went with the alpha and have no regrets.

The bigger systems can be custom built for less but the Alpha is a good deal.

Azure Fists - "Grown men playing with each other since 2009"

Spoiler
Spoiler

CPU : Intel® Core™ i5-4590T, OS : Windows 10 64bit + Custom Alienware Console Interface, GPU : NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5, RAM : 8GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz, SSD : Kingston V300 240GB, WIFI : Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 2x2 + Bluetooth 4.0, CASE : Alienware Alpha, PSU : External Power Brick, MOBO : Custom Dell Motherboard.

Spoiler

CPU : i5 6600, Mobo : Asus Z97i-Plus, RAM : 16GB DDR4 3000mhz Corsair Vengeance LED, GPU : Gigabyte G1 GTX 1080, Case : Silverstone RVZ02, Storage : SanDisk 1TB M.2, PSU : Silverstone Strider SST-SX700-LG, Display(s) : AOC Q2963PM 29" IPS Ultra Wide 21:9, Fans : Noctua NH-L9i with Be Quiet Pure Wings 2, Keyboard : Razer Blackwidow Stealth 2015, Mouse : Razer Naga 2015, Sound : LG Wireless Soundbar /Razer Kraken Pro, OS : Windows 10

My experience with Alienware - sitting next to a friend while in class being deafened by the fans. I told him straight up 'Your computer is either having a fit, broken, or just plain crap, get it replaced ASAP with a real laptop, and don't buy from Dell again" (don't get me started on Dell, I've got plenty of reasons for never recommending them, and telling people to not touch their computers even with a 10ft barge pole).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

A friend got into PC gaming by buying an Alienware laptop. I first say "Ok this is the only case in which this is acceptable, but a gaming laptop should be really niche and for very specific needs" Honestly most people should just build/request a desktop. I hear her arguments and they are actually very common so I addressed them

1) I need something mobile!

A: Then get a cheap laptop or even a chromebook. Really if you're out of your house and you need a laptop, chances are it will be social you just need to wait for someone to arrive, wait a little bit for an appointment, you're visiting relatives, etc. You really won't be doing serious gaming away from home, if you truly like to go out for the hell of it your time will be spend stargazing, chatting up, listening to music, etc. Nobody says "Oh boy I need to play borderlands 2 while I'm highly inconvenienced in the daylight, inside of a shitty cafe with no free plug in so I have 20 minutes of playtime on battery" This is only for people that genuinely travel a lot and game on their hotel rooms for extended periods for example.

2) Fine but I wanna be mobile around the house

A: Again in home streaming is making this argument obsolete, and even before that I know that you will game on maybe 2 or 3 places in your house: your living room, your desk and maybe your bed. In your bed you won't be doing counterstrike matches you will be playing something stupid on your cellphone or tablet as you should. You really only need to cover your desk and/or living room and it can be done sometimes with just the budget of a single gaming laptop since you can build 2 capable gaming rigs with the same cash, one better and one media centerish that can still run some games and stream the rest.

3) I like the fact that it is compact if I need to move it

A: This is really not a point on it's own people, it's covered on 1 and 2 and not you don't really need to move it. But if you do, Re: Mini-ITX systems

4) Fine, it's not practical and its more expensive, but I like the fact that it's all done

A: Fine, but you can get a desktop from a different company that builds to order to your specifications not crappy Alienware machines with specs like i7 processor and Geforce 630 graphics cards for gaming! Or just ask me I would have build a rig for you.

-------

Current Rig

-------

alienware desktop arent good but there laptops arent overpriced fo a nice quality laptop and for the hardware you get its not overpriced there desktops though are. i do like their laptops and the alienware alpha.

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply