2 way SLI or... Not?

Hey guys, I kinda got into a doubt. To make things clear, I am a complete noob regarding building pcs, but I do know certain things. But one thing that got me stuck was: should I build a 2 way SLI pc? Will it last at least 3-5 years? Here is the build I came across... http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9YBVgs

Now, I want to know if I should disregard the second video card, and get a water cooling system and an SSD card. Please help!

Thanks in advance,

Fsborges00.

What resolution will you be using and for what tasks?

What resolution will you be using and for what tasks?

Mostly gaming, would these video cards handle 4k? Or just 1440p?

Thanks

Thanks

Dual 290x should easily do it. However, a 295x2 should get 73 fps at 4k with BF4. BF4 cause its one of the most GPU intensive games

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Dual 290x should last 3 years. I think 3.5 gigs of gddr5 speed memory should get outdated in 3 years.

Keep in mind that 4GB won't last much longer, considering games do exist now that already consume near 4GB VRAM at 1080p.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Thanks

They can do 4K fine for now, like the 290X can. It's all down to time. if you're buying for 4K, then I don't suggest you buy anything in this generation. Wait until AMD announces the R9 390X and R9 390, as they seem to (according to leaks) perform far better than what we have now.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Keep in mind that 4GB won't last much longer, considering games do exist now that already consume near 4GB VRAM at 1080p.

Yeah like Titanfall.

Welp then dual 290x 8gigs?

Thanks

I'd say 1440P is fine for the most part. 3-5 years into the future? who knows how demanding games will get until then.

Some people here on the forum will bash on you if you want to tell somebody about the VRAm issue of the GTX 970, especially in SLI. They will come at you in groups and tell you you're stupid, allthough you agree with their view on the current performance of a 970 SLI. The only thing that sperates you from them is your view on the future perforamnce of a 970 SLI but they will not get your point and keep bashing on you. @othertomperson

Sorry, had to let some steam off.

who cares...

Yeah like Titanfall.

Welp then dual 290x 8gigs?

By the time you need more VRAM, you're going to need more GPU power as well.

They're not really that great over the 4GB models now unless you play 4K right now or play modded Skyrim.

By the time you need more VRAM, you're going to need more GPU power as well.

They're not really that great over the 4GB models now unless you play 4K right now or play modded Skyrim.

Welp @OP if you want futureproofnes get a R9 990X

Hey guys, I kinda got into a doubt. To make things clear, I am a complete noob regarding building pcs, but I do know certain things. But one thing that got me stuck was: should I build a 2 way SLI pc? Will it last at least 3-5 years? Here is the build I came across... http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9YBVgs

Now, I want to know if I should disregard the second video card, and get a water cooling system and an SSD card. Please help!

Thanks in advance,

Fsborges00.

ASUS isn't the strongest (a good, quiet and low-usage card yes, but not the strongest) of the 970's. Gigabyte and MSI come to mind for better performance.

When handling 4K, a 980 would be better (in SLI even more, but that would be really pricey). The 970 will definitely improve in 4K when using SLI, but it's not necessary. Do keep in mind that a single 970 will struggle with max video settings.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Also, dear AMD fanboys:

Yes, Nvidia should've doublechecked and the 3.5 gb thing is an issue. Just look at the card as a 3.5 gig card.

I am an Nvidia lover though, because their drivers do not tend to explode every 24 hours (you can't deny that the AMD drivers are unstable).

But this guy asked if SLI would be a good idea. Did he ask for suggestions on AMD cards? Please go away if you're not answering his questions.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

I'd say 1440P is fine for the most part. 3-5 years into the future? who knows how demanding games will get until then.

Some people here on the forum will bash on you if you want to tell somebody about the VRAm issue of the GTX 970, especially in SLI. They will come at you in groups and tell you you're stupid, allthough you agree with their view on the current performance of a 970 SLI. The only thing that sperates you from them is your view on the future perforamnce of a 970 SLI but they will not get your point and keep bashing on you. @othertomperson

No, you come to threads in which people are asking for tech advice and general help and completely derail them by ranting about the 970's vram when lots of people who actually use the damned cards have never noticed a problem. Even if we had, it's not "bashing on you" to tell you that there's a time and a place for that and that time is not all of the time and the place is not every time the forum presents you with an open text box.

Furthermore who the hell buys a GPU that isn't even a company's highest tier with the hope to run it for five years and never having to deviate from ultra preset? How is that a sensible metric by which to judge a GPU at any resolution?

No, you come to threads in which people are asking for tech advice and general help and completely derail them by ranting about the 970's vram when lots of people who actually use the damned cards have never noticed a problem. Even if we had, it's not "bashing on you" to tell you that there's a time and a place for that and that time is not all of the time and the place is not every time the forum presents you with an open text box.

Furthermore who the hell buys a GPU that isn't even a company's highest tier with the hope to run it for five years and never having to deviate from ultra preset? How is that a sensible metric by which to judge a GPU at any resolution?

Quick round-up of Nvidia 900: 

960: Mid-end

970: High-end

980: Enthousiast

Every one of these last a few years, but no card will be able to keep playing everything on max settings for the following years.

EDIT: and neither will the AMD cards, they are no better than Nvidia's...

Basic guide to CPU's!

I'll say this, It's shitty that NVIDIA lied to us. I get pissed off when people blow the issue out of proportion though. We've got a lot of NVIDIA apologists around here just like we have a lot of AMD fanboys around here. The more level-headed people here are the ones who can discuss it in a civil manner. I think the issue is shitty, but that doesn't change how well the card performs. And because of that, I still recommend it. It's your money, you can spend it whichever way you see fit. Just don't smear your opinions in my face like dog shit. The fact is that NVIDIA lied to us. We can't take that back, neither can they. Retailers are doing everything in their power to extend return windows and take peoples cards back if they so please, Amazon and Newegg are even giving people money if they bitch and moan at them while letting them keep their cards. NVIDIA aren't the first tech giant to lie, and they aren't the last. To me, as a GTX 970 owner, I am annoyed but not furious. I took some money back from Newegg and will continue to use the card until I see fit to replace it .It performs great for me, and I haven't experienced the issue firsthand, though I will probably try to replicate it.

Basically, shut up NVIDIA apologists and AMD fanboys. We don't need to listen to you droning on about why AMD's drivers are always crashing and why NVIDIA's some big bad wolf because they lied and hurt your delicate feelings. Take it like a man and move on, the only people this affects is actual GTX 970 owners.

I usually tell what i think if the OP is a low-post member who may not ahve heard of the issue. Allthough it's very wideley spread on LTT, there are dozens of people who haven't even heard of it. And btw. i gave some constructive input nontheless.

Who buys a GTX 980? The card has 15-20% more performance than a 970 but costs 60% more. That's just stupid. As Linus has mentioned several times before, buying the one tier below the maximum and SLI/Crossfiring that is usually the best way to get the most for your money. And i would expect that to last at least 2 years if not longer. I'm not gonna waste any more time on this. My point has been made, one thread has been derailed already (not just by me), I'm done.

who cares...

I'll say this, It's shitty that NVIDIA lied to us. I get pissed off when people blow the issue out of proportion though. We've got a lot of NVIDIA apologists around here just like we have a lot of AMD fanboys around here. The more level-headed people here are the ones who can discuss it in a civil manner. I think the issue is shitty, but that doesn't change how well the card performs. And because of that, I still recommend it. It's your money, you can spend it whichever way you see fit. Just don't smear your opinions in my face like dog shit. The fact is that NVIDIA lied to us. We can't take that back, neither can they. Retailers are doing everything in their power to extend return windows and take peoples cards back if they so please, Amazon and Newegg are even giving people money if they bitch and moan at them while letting them keep their cards. NVIDIA aren't the first tech giant to lie, and they aren't the last. To me, as a GTX 970 owner, I am annoyed but not furious. I took some money back from Newegg and will continue to use the card until I see fit to replace it .It performs great for me, and I haven't experienced the issue firsthand, though I will probably try to replicate it.

Basically, shut up NVIDIA apologists and AMD fanboys. We don't need to listen to you droning on about why AMD's drivers are always crashing and why NVIDIA's some big bad wolf because they lied and hurt your delicate feelings. Take it like a man and move on, the only people this affects is actual GTX 970 owners.

That bit is untrue but thanks for stating a polite, well mannered answer. :)

who cares...

Let me just round this up for you @Fsborges00

THIS WILL ONLY CONTAIN FACTS:

The GTX 970 has 3,5 gb VRAM, and games only see 3.5 when played with a 970: so this will not affect a lot. Nvidia DID lie however, saying it was 4 GB.

Any card of the 900 series (960 = mid, 970 = high end and 980 = enthusiast) will perform great for you. SLI will take some heat out of both cards, thus increasing performance.

Any card will remain for a couple of years, but it is not yet sure if they will always be able to play at max settings. This depends on the games, not the hardware.

If you want to switch to AMD is a matter of personal choice and preference.

Basic guide to CPU's!

That bit is untrue but thanks for stating a polite, well mannered answer. :)

It's not necessarily untrue. You've got AMD and NVIDIA nazis going around here pushing their agenda like they're being paid for it.

However, I will not name names for the sake of sanity.

The GTX 970 has 4gb VRAM, and any application can only access 3.5GB at the full speed: so this will affect some games resulting in stuttering due to the overflow into the last 0.5GB partition, which is in fact 7x slower than the first 3.5GB. Nvidia didn't necessarily lie, as the card has 4GB VRAM physically and it can access all of it, but not at full speed.

Any card of the 900 series (960 = mid, 970 = high end and 980 = enthusiast) will perform great for you. SLI will take some heat out of both cards, thus increasing performance.

Any card will remain for a couple of years, but it is not yet sure if they will always be able to play at max settings. This depends on the games, not the hardware.

I fixed it for you.

It's not necessarily untrue. You've got AMD and NVIDIA nazis going around here pushing their agenda like they're being paid for it.

However, I will not name names for the sake of sanity.

Alright it's true, i just took it to personally. :D You get misunderstood quite a lot if all you can do is type out your opinion but not actually tell how you feel about a certain topic.

What i type is not the same as what somebody else reads and this is a huge problem!

who cares...

And on the other things you asked (because everyone stopped reading):

An SSD is better in every way than a HDD, only more expensive. People tend to get an SSD with low capacity and put their OS on it, and their files on a big HDD. This will ensure amazingly fast boot-up times etc.

Liquid cooling is a possibility, but not yet. People are better with starting off with air cooling. Graphic cards come with 2+ fans when getting them from Gigabyte, EVGA, ASUS and MSI, so you will be fine without liquids.

Basic guide to CPU's!

The GTX 970 has 3,5 gb VRAM, and games only see 3.5 when played with a 970: so this will not affect a lot. Nvidia DID lie however, saying it was 4 GB.

But I've used more than 3.5GB in Skyrim without issue so that can't be true.