How many FPS can the human Eye see?

niofalpha

The actual problem isn't that the eye doesn't see frames per second, it's the complex and multiple processes of sight.

Simply said, we have no way of measuring sight in such a way that we can figure out the equivalent in frames per second.

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

We can can only recognise and identify single frame up to 24fps or so.

But we can easily tell when the animation is silky smooth and when its not. This applies to 60hz+ monitors.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Even at 144 hz I feel like we can push it further for smoothness, and your friend is wrong.

My "never seen 120/144hz screen" eyes are in tears because of the experience they are missing on :(

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I know I already answered this but I believe we can see infinite but anything over 70fps can start to give us side effects (burly vision, headaches, etc). 

What I like:

slow pace = 25 - 30fps

sandbox = 50fps

first person shooters = 60 +fps

FPS is first person shooter right?.... :ph34r:
/trolololol

From my experience, most people can't discern the difference between 120 and 140+, while the difference is obvious to me. Depends on the person.

Ubisoft will tell you 24fps. Anyone with sense will tell you we can see an infinite number fps if it is presented to us, it's all up to how our brains interpret it. If the gameplay is smooth, we're not going to see a difference if the fps is increased. Refresh rates on the other hand, can be quite noticable.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

We can't see frames but what we can see is resolution 

9590|EK-Copper|Sabertooth 990FXR2.0|16GB RIPJAWS Z|Dual MSI Gaming 290|Corsiar AX1200i|Corsair 760T|3TB Seagate+Dual 120GB Samsung 850EVO in Raid 0

LTT'S Official Radeon Master Race Club Founder-Predicts TitanX2 (Prediction Date: 3-30-15)

XFX Needs To Make A 3 Fan Cooler 

The falloff point (diminishing returns) starts somewhere between 40-60fps, where every additional frame per second after becomes less and less noticeable. Most people notice input lag beyond that though, especially with mouse and keyboard. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

We can can only recognise and identify single frame up to 24fps or so.

But we can easily tell when the animation is silky smooth and when its not. This applies to 60hz+ monitors.

Is that where the "eyes only see 24/30 fps" myth derived from? It sounds like something that could very easily get twisted and miss interpenetrated.

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

Is that where the "eyes only see 24/30 fps" myth derived from? It sounds like something that could very easily get twisted and miss interpenetrated.

before everything was digital, a roll of film had a size limit, in order to fit into the projector at a theatre. Animated film was also expensive, having to draw out each frame, so the less frames they could get away with, the better. Even now, it takes a lot of computing power to render out an animated film, i.e. pixar films taking years to render.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Not a matter of FPS. Your eye is constantly monitoring changes in light, as soon as the light wavelength or brightness changes it registers. Take a piezoelectric starter and click it. The spark lasts a tiny fraction of a second, but you can still see it, because your eye picked up the photons emitted by the discharge.

There's also the argument that films above 24fps make people dizzy. I'll bet you that most people affected heard the rumor, and the placebo effect made it so. Ever play a game at high framerates? not sick? no, didn't think so!

It's totally fine to get motion sickness from fast moving cameras, but framerate should make no difference on its own

I believe so, even i was though about human eye frame rate BS at college (for US people High School junior year). 

Had a lecture about human eye at Uni, wish i remembered/paid attention to what lecturer said about FPS. But back then i didnt know much about PCs or framerates.

The human eye doesn't see in "frames per second", the human eye is an "analog" thing that sees a constant flow of light, there are no 1's and 0's. 

If you interrupt that flow of light for 1/1000 of a second you could probably notice it, and you could also notice a flash that lasts only 1/1000 of a second in a dark room.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

The human eye doesn't see in "frames per second", the human eye is an "analog" thing that sees a constant flow of light, there are no 1's and 0's. 

If you interrupt that flow of light for 1/1000 of a second you could probably notice it, and you could also notice a flash that lasts only 1/1000 of a second in a dark room.

You can observe this on a DSLR by turning the shutter speed to 1/1000. You'll notice the shutter flickering.

retinal FPS = DEBUNKED.

The human eye sees unlimited frames per second because it doesn't work that way.

Physically impossible, one cannot see an unlimited, an infinite amount of "frames" per second.

If you want a flicker free blurless screen you need at least 1000fps/hz.

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=174&p=1486&hilit=fps+human+eye#p1486

Also there are scientific displays from viewpixx or something that go up to 2000hz and people can still see difference between 1000hz and 2000hz. There are all kinds of tests made for this, by splicing in specific pictures in a video. People dont know what they saw, but they know they saw something out of the ordinary.

So, id say, if you want to measure human eye in fps, then its probably in the tens of thousands if not hundreds where adding fps is indistinguishable for human eyes.

But for all practical applications (including gaming) this century i dont think you can ask for more than 400hz/fps. 

And someone has overclocked up to 340hz without frameskipping.

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1583

Glenwing ftw. This is a touchy subject and I like the link you posted. :D  

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Did you actually ever have the issue with those neon lamps see them fast flickering? 

The correct answer to this whole topic is. All of them.

In fact too much.

9 of 10 voices in my mind say I'm crazy. The tenth hums the melody of Tetris.

Just ignore your friend and stop hanging out with him.  If he want's to enjoy crappy graphics on his console let him do so while bashing on PC's with no intelligent argument.  Using the "human eye only see's so many FPS" is a waste of time argument on everyone's part.