Hackintosh VS buying a mac prebuilt

Darkinstinct

A friend is considering buying a Mac desktop and I was wondering if it wouldn’t be better to just build him a hackintosh than let him shell out money on a mac straight from apple.

I ask because I have built plenty of PC's but they have always been for windows, He works with music and was looking to get a new computer because his current one is "past its prime" when he mentioned it to me so I thought I would try the forums and see if I could help him out.

There are some excellent build guides for getting hackintoshes working with ease. Though they can be tricky to get to work and aren't garanteed to work with the next version of OSX. They also don't have all of the functionality as a real mac, such as messages. 

here is a site that will benefit you :) 

http://www.tonymacx86.com/building-customac-buyers-guide-january-2015.html

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

why does it need to be OSX?

There are plenty of great music production tools on windows.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

... kernel panics.

Hackintosh is super easy to do, if you really want/need to. Just make sure your chosen hardware is compatible before you buy it.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

OSX is a better platform to work on as it uses fewer resources than windows... I think.  If you are not gaming on the PC, or do not have dual boot options (which you should do... One windows boot, one OSX) then OSX might yield better performance.

Oh, you will get better hardware if you build a "Mac", then what they offer... there is no arguing that.  Save your money.

Hackintosh. You also get so much satisfication from doing it.

~Just the tips

The only good human being is a dead human being. 

I5 4690K MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G MSI Z97 GAMING 5 G.SKILL RIPJAWS X 2X8GB 1600MHZ CL10 CORSAIR CX750M CRUCIAL MX100 512GB 2X WD BLUE 1TB CORSAIR 300R BENQ RL2455HM ♦ WIN 8.1 PRO ♦ UBUNTU 14.04

A friend is considering buying a Mac desktop and I was wondering if it wouldn’t be better to just build him a hackintosh than let him shell out money on a mac straight from apple.

I ask because I have built plenty of PC's but they have always been for windows, He works with music and was looking to get a new computer because his current one is "past its prime" when he mentioned it to me so I thought I would try the forums and see if I could help him out.

He could easily build a PC, there are plenty of music maker programs personally I use fruity loops mixed with audacity

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

OSX is a better platform to work on as it uses fewer resources than windows... I think.  If you are not gaming on the PC, or do not have dual boot options (which you should do... One windows boot, one OSX) then OSX might yield better performance.

The resource difference between the two operating systems is not going to make a difference in your workflow. What really dictates your performance is the hardware you use and how "clean" you keep your system.

If someone needs all possible resources they would use linux not OSX.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

if it is a tool of his income and not just a toy to play with, buy a mac. 

hackintosh is cool and all, but when you actually need a computer to work, a hacked together OS simply doesn't sound like a good idea.

The resource difference between the two operating systems is not going to make a difference in your workflow. What really dictates your performance is the hardware you use and how "clean" you keep your system.

I have not really delved into it, but... If an OS is better optimized for workflow by being able to utilize more of the hardware resources... would your work not be served better/faster by your hardware?

He could easily build a PC, there are plenty of music maker programs personally I use fruity loops mixed with audacity

he works at a company where everything is an APPLE product, personally I tried to talk him into windows because I will always be able to help him with it but he "loves" OS X because he works with it every day lol

if it is a tool of his income and not just a toy to play with, buy a mac. 

hackintosh is cool and all, but when you actually need a computer to work, a hacked together OS simply doesn't sound like a good idea.

Hackintosh. You also get so much satisfication from doing it.

... kernel panics.

Hackintosh is super easy to do, if you really want/need to. Just make sure your chosen hardware is compatible before you buy it.

That is what I’m starting to notice, compatibility is an issue and I keep hearing things about it being a pain to keep it working in the long run... if this thing is going to be useless in a year because of compatibility then he is just going to spend the money on a mac. I was hoping to be able to build it for him to get a better value for his dollar and keep it working like I do for all my friends computers.

There are some excellent build guides for getting hackintoshes working with ease. Though they can be tricky to get to work and aren't garanteed to work with the next version of OSX. They also don't have all of the functionality as a real mac, such as messages. 

here is a site that will benefit you :)

http://www.tonymacx86.com/building-customac-buyers-guide-january-2015.html

wow this page is amazing, thank you :D

It's a midfield if you wanna dual boot Mac and Windows it's a mindfield of boot commands, clover and all the other craps involved, the damn drivers and stuff sometimes when I boot into mac the sound simply doesn't work and sometimes it does for no reason no change if you wannna deal with the hassle go ahead

It's a midfield if you wanna dual boot Mac and Windows it's a mindfield of boot commands, clover and all the other craps involved, the damn drivers and stuff sometimes when I boot into mac the sound simply doesn't work and sometimes it does for no reason no change if you wannna deal with the hassle go ahead

Eh, Chameleon deals with 90% of those issues.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon