Fan voltage too low to start?

soup

I have a Noctua 140mm fan at the rear of my case (Define R5) this is supplied straight from the fan controller which has three settings low-medium-high (7-9-12 volts?).

Thing is, though the front fans (Fractal design 140mm,  Were front and rear but I moved one so the two of them would be at the front. I thought lots of slow fans would be less noisy than a few fast ones.) will start spinning at any setting the Noctua fan will only start with the controller at  the 12V setting, at other voltages the fan will 'twitch' but not start spinning, if given a flick they will run happily at  the reduced voltage(s) but not start, are Noctua fans known for a high starting voltage ? Or should I go in to full blown troubleshooting mode and maybe even RMA this fan?

TL:DR Noctua fan will only start at 12V, problem?

Edited (a bit) :- To try and make reading it easier

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

PWM fans tend to have higher starting voltages because they aren't really intended to be controlled that way.

Which fan exactly? Also, please don't use dark blue text, those of us who use the dark theme can't read it very easily.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

Also, please don't use dark blue text, those of us who use the dark theme can't read it very easily.

Sorry about that it was an attempt to make the post easier to understand, didn't even think of its impact on those who used a dark scheme.

Which fan is rather moot now as I power it straight from the PSU, still quiet as ....

Wife can't hear it which is the main thing (I have tinnitus so I have a constant w h o o s h i n g in my head and I  can't really tell if a system is just quiet or silent [lets hear it for power LEDs])

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"