What to buy

Roderich

Ok, so. Let me explain myself:

About a Week ago I bought a new pc, really cool, but right from the beginning the games were artifacting and flickering... It was the R9 280x. Went for the Warranty and they told me it was my problem, because I had installed the games wrongly... But I even had artifacts on the desktop. 

The thing is that after a good trouble with the PC Shop I could finally get my money back, But they took the whole computer (Don't worry, I have all my money back). The thing is that Now I'm trying to buy a new pc, and I've found everything but the video-card.

So, here comes the question: What would you buy: a GTX 760 with 4gb (MSI OC edition) or a 960 2 gb... Those two card are the ones I can afford, i can't go one step further because I don't have enough money. Where I live these two cards cost 450 U.S. dollars and 400 U.S. Dollars (respectively)

I would be thankful if you could help me out here, because from what I've seen there is some sort of improvement with the 760, but I don't know if it's worth the money, besides, the temps and stability with the 960 are far beyond of what the 760 can even get to... (Tell me if there are Issues with any of these two video cards) 

Thanks in advance!

Buy a GTX 760 HAWK edition.

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

Where do you live?  Need to know so we can be more helpful and look on pcpartpicker.  I can't imagine at those prices those are your best card options.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Where do you live?  Need to know so we can be more helpful and look on pcpartpicker.  I can't imagine at those prices those are your best card options.

I was going to say the same thing... unless they need to be imported with a lot of VAT/import fees... there's no way they cost that much.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

I was going to say the same thing... unless they need to be imported with a lot of VAT/import fees... there's no way they cost that much.

Believe me they do, everything here costs that much :c

Believe me they do, everything here costs that much :c

http://mercadolibre.com.uy/

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

r9 280x has many issues, I'm not buying AMD ever again.

between those i would go with the 960 2gb.

i know you had trouble with amd before but i would go with one of these:

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.uy/MLU-423984735-tarjeta-de-video-asus-amd-ati-r9-280x-3gb-gddr5-384-bits-_JM

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.uy/MLU-423670348-xfx-r9-280x-3gb-ddr5-_JM

they are more powerfull for the same price

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

bought it myself and for 2 friends never had problems with it. never had issues.

but i understand that you wanta go nvidia now. would choose the 960

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

I've yet to hear of the 280x's issues...

Enlighten me?

I've yet to hear of the 280x's issues...

Enlighten me?

I've experienced the issues my self, I don't know if i could explain them well to you since english is not my main language, but the thing is that that card has artifacts, flickerings, and it has been reported that AMD is aware of that and they don't do anything to fix it. however, I don't think it's a bad videocard. I think the possibilites of you getting a bad video card are just like 1 in a thousand... however I would say that the possibilites of getting an Nvidia card with those problems are 1 in a hundred thousand... I mean, the r9 280x apparently (from what I've heard) is the overclocked version of the 7990 or 7890. I can't tell you anything else... but I'm disappointed with AMD. Just look for: R9 280X Artifacts, you will find lots of forums and videos! Thanks for you help!

You just had some bad luck, please don't judge a brand by a single bad card.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

I've experienced the issues my self, I don't know if i could explain them well to you since english is not my main language, but the thing is that that card has artifacts, flickerings, and it has been reported that AMD is aware of that and they don't do anything to fix it. however, I don't think it's a bad videocard. I think the possibilites of you getting a bad video card are just like 1 in a thousand... however I would say that the possibilites of getting an Nvidia card with those problems are 1 in a hundred thousand... I mean, the r9 280x apparently (from what I've heard) is the overclocked version of the 7990 or 7890. I can't tell you anything else... but I'm disappointed with AMD. Just look for: R9 280X Artifacts, you will find lots of forums and videos! Thanks for you help!

You'd be more surprised that Nvidia cards are just as unlucky with dying.

You had a bad card. I had an Nvidia card blow up, like actually spark up on me. It took out a $5k workstation. I still use them today in an application that it can't go wrong. I trust them. But I have AMD cards in an older desktop. I trust them too.

Try the 280x. You won't be disappointed, I've recommended many people go that route and no one has complained that I know of.

bought it myself and for 2 friends never had problems with it. never had issues.

but i understand that you wanta go nvidia now. would choose the 960

Thanks! Yeah, I think it's just my luck hahaha. I think it was because of the temps and stuff, Since I first used it the artifacts and other problems started to appear

well the 280x is a refreshed 7970 and artifacts usually appear on a card that is clocked too high. so when you see one of these broken cards try to lower the clock speeds and see if that helps

Thanks! Yeah, I think it's just my luck hahaha. I think it was because of the temps and stuff, Since I first used it the artifacts and other problems started to appear

I strongly recommend you to give the 280x another shot, since it's more futureproof and slightly faster. If it fails you again you can always switch to nVidia.

Of course, I can't decide for you but that would be my advice.

Mah Build:  CPU: Intel i7-7700K COOLING: NZXT Kraken X52 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1080 MOBO: Asus Strix Z270F RAM: 16GB GSKILL TridentZ RGB 3000 

CASE: In Win 303 STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate 1TB  SSHD PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750W

well the 280x is a refreshed 7970 and artifacts usually appear on a card that is clocked too high. so when you see one of these broken cards try to lower the clock speeds and see if that helps

Yeah, I knew that, and did it. The problem is this: I buy this brand new video card who apparently can handle every game not going below 60 fps, and I pay what I believe is a great amount of money (at least for me). So I get home and I start getting artifacts and Flickerings and here is where the problem takes place, Why would I even need to lower anything or to apply more voltage to something that should have been done while they were testing it... I mean, as the final user I buy a card and I'm expecting it to handle what they told me it could handle... 

That's just how I see it Chris. But, Seriously I'm really Thankful you bothered yourself this far, I think I'll go for that 960, (I'm not judging AMD, maybe in a near future I may be buying a new processor or who knows... the r9 295x.... bah, just kidding, hahaha) Thank you all guys! you were of great help

I'd give AMD another shot and get another R9 280x. It's a more powerful GPU than a GTX 960 with more VRAM. Sometimes you just get a broken part. Everyone who builds many PCs runs into something like this at some point, and it's not worth writing off a great product to buy a lesser one. Between a 4GB 760 and a 2GB 960 I'd take the 960 though. The 4GB 760 would only make any sense in an SLI setup.