What should I do with my current audio setup (wanting something better)

bcredeur97

I currently am using onboard sound on my PC, along with a FiiO E06 amp. My current headset is the PC350 from sennheiser that I payed a lot for 2 years ago. I probably shouldnt have bought these, but I learned that later. I have done the "hero mod" to them, which takes the non-existant bass and makes it present, as long as you have an amp.

Im not a bass-head. I just like good, natural, and accurate sound. Which is something I fear my PC350's arent bringing to me. Now, I have been looking at the HD598's on amazon since they are $150 right now. But as it happens I dont have much money currently, so im thinking maybe If I could find someone who would want to trade my PC350's for their 598's? Probably wont happen unless I give them some money along with the headset but at least it wouldnt be as much.

My question is would that be wise? And im pretty certain I would notice a large difference in sound between my 350's and a pair of 598's since they are open back. Plus I would be less embarrassed using 598's with my phone (going to be picking up the iPhone 6S/7 because they always upgrade the sound chip on the S models) when I need to travel (with my amp of course) since they dont have a large mic sticking up the side of them lol.

Or could I perhaps mod my PC350's to have an open back and sound nice?? I know it isnt going to be as simple as drilling holes through the casing, likely will need to be some insulation.

What do you guys think I should do?

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I currently am using onboard sound on my PC, along with a FiiO E06 amp. My current headset is the PC350 from sennheiser that I payed a lot for 2 years ago. I probably shouldnt have bought these, but I learned that later. I have done the "hero mod" to them, which takes the non-existant bass and makes it present, as long as you have an amp.

Im not a bass-head. I just like good, natural, and accurate sound. Which is something I fear my PC350's arent bringing to me. Now, I have been looking at the HD598's on amazon since they are $150 right now. But as it happens I dont have much money currently, so im thinking maybe If I could find someone who would want to trade my PC350's for their 598's? Probably wont happen unless I give them some money along with the headset but at least it wouldnt be as much.

My question is would that be wise? And im pretty certain I would notice a large difference in sound between my 350's and a pair of 598's since they are open back. Plus I would be less embarrassed using 598's with my phone (going to be picking up the iPhone 6S/7 because they always upgrade the sound chip on the S models) when I need to travel (with my amp of course) since they dont have a large mic sticking up the side of them lol.

Or could I perhaps mod my PC350's to have an open back and sound nice?? I know it isnt going to be as simple as drilling holes through the casing, likely will need to be some insulation.

What do you guys think I should do?

You definitely do not want to drill holes in the back, the headphones are finely tuned to be closed back. What I would recommend is getting a pair of studio monitors... I use Tannoy Reveal 501a's and it's the best way to listen to music and play games in my opinion. Although you need to have the real estate, they cost a little more, and you loose having virtual surround sound actually work.

You definitely do not want to drill holes in the back, the headphones are finely tuned to be closed back. What I would recommend is getting a pair of studio monitors... I use Tannoy Reveal 501a's and it's the best way to listen to music and play games in my opinion. Although you need to have the real estate, they cost a little more, and you loose having virtual surround sound actually work.

I rather have a good pair of headphones to be honest with you m8. I dont really have the real estate for a good pair of monitors.

The problem I have with the headset Im using is just that they are not as immersive as I want them to be.. Ive experienced a good immersive audio experience before but these PC350's just cannot provide it for me.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I would recommend spending a bit more. I had 598's for a year and a half and started craving for better quality, so i got Hifiman He-400's and haven't  looked back one bit.

Just for a point of reference, these things make Year Of The Cat sound like you're in cruise ship's bar listening to the band.

| i5 4690K 4,4Ghz | Gtx 680 Msi twin frozr Oc edition | Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 Gb | Asus Z97-A | Seagate Barracuda 1 TB| Samsung 840 EVO SSD 120GB | Fractal Design Integra 750 W | All gently placed with great fright inside a Fractal Design Define R4 |

| ProJect Head Box S USB with Hifiman HE-400's plugged in | Check profile page for more Audio shizzle(dizzle) |

Ive experienced a good immersive audio experience before but these PC350's just cannot provide it for me.

And what was that?

If you did a mod to increase the bass on the 350, you're not going to enjoy the 598. It has much less bass. A cursory recommendation would be the DT990 as it has a much more present bass response.

Do answer SSL's question, though, as that may give us more clues as to what you're after.

And what was that?

I dont really remember to be honest. Several years ago I walked into a store and tried on a pair of Sennheiser Headphones (didnt know what model it was at all, i remember it being expensive but it wasnt super-expensive) I had been for once, impressed at a pair of headphones and wanted them.

A couple years later when I wanted a new headset I decided to get the PC350's thinking they would provide me that experience. But they didnt. Felt like wasted money. Ive learned a bit since then (open back vs closed back, amps, DAC's, etc.) But now I feel like I have to go and spend a grand on audio equipment just to have the experience I had with whatever headphones I had tried on at the time. Its something I want to chase but just dont have the money for :/ and its kind of depressing me.

Spoiler

I dont really remember to be honest. Several years ago I walked into a store and tried on a pair of Sennheiser Headphones (didnt know what model it was at all, i remember it being expensive but it wasnt super-expensive)

A couple years later when I wanted a new headset I decided to get the PC350's thinking they would provide me that experience. But they didnt. Felt like wasted money. Ive learned a bit since then (open back vs closed back, amps, DAC's, etc.) But now I feel like I have to go and spend a grand on audio equipment just to have the experience I had with whatever headphones I had tried on at the time. Its something I want to chase but just dont have the money for :/ and its kind of depressing me.

What a shame.

Do you have a clear budget for this?

What a shame.

Do you have a clear budget for this?

no not really. Well, I dont really want to spend more than $200 on a pair of headphones. But Im not afraid of buying used, but in good condition equipment either.

Spoiler

I guess no one has any suggestions lol.

Can anyone at least tell me if 598's are worth it over my PC350's? I do know that I am going to prefer the open design at the very least

Spoiler

I guess no one has any suggestions lol.

Can anyone at least tell me if 598's are worth it over my PC350's? I do know that I am going to prefer the open design at the very least

As already said if it's bass you want the 598 will not deliver. They are overpriced anyway. Beyer custom one pros might do the trick if you can stretch your budget or find them used.

As already said if it's bass you want the 598 will not deliver. They are overpriced anyway. Beyer custom one pros might do the trick if you can stretch your budget or find them used.

Im not really after bass. I drilled smaller holes than everyone else for a reason. I ended up doing it because some people said you gain a little bit of soundstage once you drill the holes too. (and you do but it isnt much of a difference tbh)  But if the beyerdynamic are a better value anyway then I might just go for those.

Spoiler

Im not really after bass. I drilled smaller holes than everyone else for a reason. I ended up doing it because some people said you gain a little bit of soundstage once you drill the holes too. (and you do but it isnt much of a difference tbh)  But if the beyerdynamic are a better value anyway then I might just go for those.

COP or the DT990, then.