New gaming computer

Mark.d92

Hi everyone,

I've started looking to get a new computer, upgrading from a laptop. I mostly play COD but also play other FPS games and the occasional Strategy games.

The spec of my laptop is:

CPU: i7 2820QM 2.3Ghz

RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz

Graphics: 2048MB GeForce GT 555M

SSD: 240GB Corsair Force 3 SSD

HDD: 750GB Western Digital Scorpio Black

Screen: 15" 1080p

I do get around 100 fps however have my settings on quite low. And have a massive issue with overheating (i often hit 100C and it turns off). I do have a cooler but it doesn't do much.

I can't play Battlefield very smoothly either :/

But yeah, i don't really have a set budget but as i have started working for this year, have a little spending money.

This is the kind of thing im aiming for: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1btI1

I think that the mobo is set in stone as i have read really good things about it, but other than that i'm looking for something that will last me a long time, however be upgradeable.

In time i would like to end up with a surround monitor setup, SLI if needed, and some really nice watercooling, but would like to have something working before I get to that stage.

If you haven't realised by this stage, i live in the UK so that may change the availability of some things, but maybe not.

My main questions are related to the necessity of an i7 vs the i5 equivalent.

And the graphics card i should get. I have been looking at the zotac 770 4gb version as it looks like it should support water cooling and the 4gb should help with more screens.

I've been trying to stick with the same colour scheme, but run into an issue with the gpu, because the MSI gaming 770 is only 2gb and ek have no water block for it.

So, if anyone has any tips of suggestions i would be very greatful.

Many Thanks,

Mark

p.s. the recommended info:

Budget: £1.5k roughly, but no way set in stone. (also just for first wave, happy to be just one ssd, then upgrade to more hdds)

Aims: mentioned above, gaming mostly but i want this to last me years and years, with room to upgrade.

Monitors: i don't have any yet, so need to include in system build, but aim to start with 1, then upgrade to 3+1.

Peripherals: need new stuff, never really used mechanical keyboards, but my dad has a Razor one and i think its a bit loud. also no need for OS as i'm a student and get windows for free :D

Reason: laptop just isn't cutting it for overheating and not good enough for battlefield.

i5 is enough for gaming. 4670K instead, the rest of the build seems fine

RAWR signature became a bunch of HTML codes

Don't think you need the 4770k, you won't really be using the hyperthreading on it.

4GB is too much memory for the 770.

No need to buy higher clocked ram, after 1600Mhz, the performance increase is extremely negligible for the applications you'll use it for.

Apart from the processor and RAM mentioned above, I'd pick another SSD (Samsung, plextor etc.). Also the PSU seems to be a bit overkill, a 550 watt (seasonic, XFX) would be sufficient.

Something like this http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1bv1L

Ram and GPU will fit the red/black colour scheme. H100i gives the option to overclock immediately but can be left out as you said you wanted to have a costum loop in the end.

Intel Core i5 4670K, MSI GTX760, Thermalright AXP-100, Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD,  Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD, ASRock M8.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1buXp

i chose a core i5 because  the only advantage the i7 has over the i5 is in heavily threaded programs ,like for rendering 

Nvidia Gpu`s run much much cooler than amd so over all its a silent build i did not choose any peripherals cuz thats more personal

the color scheme is black/red soo yea.. thats all

Insomnia!

Taking down airplanes with gameboys

Get the i5 and a lower watt psu, around 500 or 550 watt. Looks good.

Here you go: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1bDrm

Fyi, you get little to no performance going from 1600 to 2133 memory.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.