Painting PCI slot covers on my case?

jamesisninja

Hey guys, I just ordered a Fractal Design Define R5, with the intent to do a clean black/blue themed build, I'll be removing the hard drive cages, so that's no problem, however the PCI slot covers are, I've considered taking the PCI slot covers off my old case and replacing them, but then it may look weird when I try to sell my old case, so I come looking here for a different solution, could I just spray paint them black, then put a topcoat on them for protection? Or is plastidip a better route to go for them? I'm headed out to buy some blue plasti dip for my GPU shroud this weekend anyways, so I can pickup whatever I need for the PCI slot covers as well.

Case: NZXT H440 | CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5 GHz | GPU: MSI 970, Kraken G10 | Mobo: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Cooler: H100i | PSU: Corsair AX750 w/ Sleeved Cables | Display: 3xBenQ RL2455M | Fans: 5xNoctua NF-F12, 1xBitFenix Spectre |

9590|EK-Copper|Sabertooth 990FXR2.0|16GB RIPJAWS Z|Dual MSI Gaming 290|Corsiar AX1200i|Corsair 760T|3TB Seagate+Dual 120GB Samsung 850EVO in Raid 0

LTT'S Official Radeon Master Race Club Founder-Predicts TitanX2 (Prediction Date: 3-30-15)

XFX Needs To Make A 3 Fan Cooler 

-snip-

Im not painting my motherboard, the PCI slot **COVERS** on my case.

Case: NZXT H440 | CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5 GHz | GPU: MSI 970, Kraken G10 | Mobo: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 | Cooler: H100i | PSU: Corsair AX750 w/ Sleeved Cables | Display: 3xBenQ RL2455M | Fans: 5xNoctua NF-F12, 1xBitFenix Spectre |

Paint will probably give a better finish. Assuming you're talking about the metal brackets. 

Plastidip would just flake eventually. 

@MLGNOSCOPEHEADSHOTGETREKT read the op pleb. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Paint will probably give a better finish. Assuming you're talking about the metal brackets. 

Plastidip would just flake eventually. 

@MLGNOSCOPEHEADSHOTGETREKT read the op pleb. 

Alright! paint it is, I could always top coat the plastidip if that would protect it? I've got topcoat laying around, just no spray paint. ALSO, It's winter here, so spraying outside isn't ideal, if I went the plastidip route, and just plastidipped on say a concrete floor, I could just peel over spray off right?

Im not painting my motherboard, the PCI slot **COVERS** on my case.

I thought you ment mobo pci lanes....

9590|EK-Copper|Sabertooth 990FXR2.0|16GB RIPJAWS Z|Dual MSI Gaming 290|Corsiar AX1200i|Corsair 760T|3TB Seagate+Dual 120GB Samsung 850EVO in Raid 0

LTT'S Official Radeon Master Race Club Founder-Predicts TitanX2 (Prediction Date: 3-30-15)

XFX Needs To Make A 3 Fan Cooler 

Alright! paint it is, I could always top coat the plastidip if that would protect it? I've got topcoat laying around, just no spray paint. ALSO, It's winter here, so spraying outside isn't ideal, if I went the plastidip route, and just plastidipped on say a concrete floor, I could just peel over spray off right?

Don't use plasti-dip it will just wear off and peel, if you using paint just be sure to not apply a very thick layer of paint or the tolerances of the PCI-E slots may make it difficult to fit it back into place. I painted some on my Corsair PCI-E case and they fit but needed some encouragement.

Don't use plasti-dip it will just wear off and peel, if you using paint just be sure to not apply a very thick layer of paint or the tolerances of the PCI-E slots may make it difficult to fit it back into place. I painted some on my Corsair PCI-E case and they fit but needed some encouragement.

Do you think sanding down the ends, like just sanding the paint off would work? I guess I could always just paint them, then just put in the ones I need before installing my system into the case.

I thought you ment mobo pci lanes....

I mean the title contains "PCI slot covers on my case" I don't know how you could think I meant a motherboard.

Do you think sanding down the ends, like just sanding the paint off would work? I guess I could always just paint them, then just put in the ones I need before installing my system into the case.

Yeah for mine I just needed a bit of installing and removing a few times for it to wear down some of the thickness of the extra paint, its hidden so you can't see any of the paint that came off. You could sand off some of the original paint on the end before apply paint to give you more tolerance but it's not very necessary since in the end it all gets hidden and no one will see.

If you're going to spray paint them, try hanging them up with string or something, makes it easier to get an even coat, do short bursts from a good metre away and do a few layers, you should get a nice finish if you take your time :) hope it helps.

If you're going to spray paint them, try hanging them up with string or something, makes it easier to get an even coat, do short bursts from a good metre away and do a few layers, you should get a nice finish if you take your time :) hope it helps.

Ive actually got a decent paint setup during the summer time, I've got alligator clips attached to skewers from painting other stuff, I'll just clip the covers at the back where there disappear behind the mobo tray, and paint the rest.

Yeah for mine I just needed a bit of installing and removing a few times for it to wear down some of the thickness of the extra paint, its hidden so you can't see any of the paint that came off. You could sand off some of the original paint on the end before apply paint to give you more tolerance but it's not very necessary since in the end it all gets hidden and no one will see.

True true! thanks for the advice, I'll spray paint em on a warm day in my garage!