RAM in Dual Chanel = errors. RAM in Single Chanel = no errors

Why is this happening? I have 2 memory sticks of 1GB each, DDR2. Yeah my computer is old at this point. So anyway, I started having random Windows errors a long time ago, I realized it was due RAM. So I tried different configurations, as you can see on the pic I tried all possible configurations:

1) Dual channel 1: Errors
2) Dual channel 2: Errors
3) Single channel 1: No errors
4) Single channel 2: No errors

9jli0x.jpg

Beside the random Windows errors (random graphic glitches, BSODs, random reboots, random errors regarding corrupt libraries and whatnot... the random stuff that happens with faulty RAM) I double checked by testing each configuration with memtest, and as expected I had errors in 1) and 2) after a couple of passes, 3) 4) had no errors after a couple of passes.

So it's safe to say I get ram errors only when in Dual Channel... why?

Is this due the MOBO, or due the memory sticks? I was considering upgrading my RAM by buying 2x2GB sticks to have a total of 6, or even buy a brand new pack of 4x2GB and run the full 8GB that my MOBO supports while I save money for a full upgrade, but im paranoid about the actual problem being one of the RAM slots and not one (or both) of the memory sticks, which would mean im fucked because I don't have enough to upgrade new MOBO, new CPU, new CPU fan, new DDR3 RAM (my PSU and GPU are good enough).

Upgrading from 2GB to 8 would be great and highly noticeable, and I could survive for at least 1+ years while I save good money for a maxed out rig. I play games and edit videos and music, so right now 2GB with Win 7 is a huge bottleneck for my nice MSI R7850 and the CPU even if its old (Q6660).

Here's some specs, bios settings and voltages:

MOBO: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2665#ov

RAM: http://www.geil.com.tw/products/showSpec/id/119

CPU:

2pqqdd5.jpg

Some ram settings:

x26zxy.jpg

Voltages:

2qcnwna.jpg

Bios settings:

bios.jpg

bios2.jpg

I've tried upping a bit the NB (MCH OverVoltage Control +0.10), same happens.

I think I've tried running at default 1.8v for the RAM and I had problems booting or something. Something that I don't get is i've set in the bios that the RAM should run at 4 4 4 12 but its still running at 5 5 5 18 as seen on the CPUZ screenshot. The voltage tho is correctly set at 2.0 (DDR2 OverVoltage is set to +0.20 as you can see).

Anyway lets see if someone drops some help. Im praying to st linus that this is a RAM stick/bios setup problem and not a MOBO problem because I dont have money to replace everything now and I cant resist any longer with only 2GB, my computer is struggling to run firefox and skype at once ffs.

Have you tried each stick alone? one could be bad 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Memtest each DIMM of RAM alone

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I had this issue once, turned out I had a bad mount and my CPU wasn't making proper contact with some of the socket pins, which killed Channel B. Fixed it with a remount.

Yes I tried running memtest for a while on each stick on each slot, no errors.

I only get problems when running on dual channel.

I had this issue once, turned out I had a bad mount and my CPU wasn't making proper contact with some of the socket pins, which killed Channel B. Fixed it with a remount.

But my channel isn't dead, otherwise I would be able to run single chanel on both sides.

Just tried dual again at 1.8V 5-5-5-18, got a BSOD. Went back to single, works OK.

If I buy DDR2 for nothing im going to feel like the biggest idiot.

If I buy DDR2 for nothing im going to feel like the biggest idiot.

Go into your bios and disable dual channel, and then put the ram sticks in the dual channel config. Is there an issue?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Go into your bios and disable dual channel, and then put the ram sticks in the dual channel config. Is there an issue?

i dont see any option in the bios to enable or disable dual channel.

• 1 month later...

okay, im about to pull the trigger on 8GB of ram of Skill,

http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f2-6400cl4d-4gbpk

To run at 4-4-4-12 the tested voltage was 1.9 - 2.0

My motherboard only officially supports 1.8

What are the dangers of overclocking the mobo to 2.0 volts? Is it worth it or im better off running at 1.8v and 5-5-5-12 timmings?

I decided to buy 8GB because worst case scenareo, the errors in dual channel are due the motherboard but since single channel works ok, i'll at least have 8GB of single channel which is way better than 2.

And if I hit the jackpot and it was the ram that's faulty, i'll have 8GB of dual ram so it's a win win.

I thought i would go with official timmings and bought the 1.8v 5-5-5-15 version

http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f2-6400cl5d-4gbpq

After all, im trying to extend the life of this machine as long as possible, dont wanna put any extra stress on it, and I dont think I would notice that much of a difference anyway. We'll see what happens when I get them. Hope they run at dual channel, if not well, its still an upgrade.