Gigabyte 970 led change

dmitrius
Go to solution Solved by dmitrius,

I found it! The thread on OCN has all the information about it, links and tut. Very easy to do.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1519475/gigabyte-g1-gaming-geforce-gtx-960-970-980-led-swap

Thanks mate,

It looks like I'm going to have to learn how to solder lol. I'm sure it's all very straight forward. Just don't touch the hot end ;)

As ever thanks for all the advice guys. Much appreciated!

Hi Folks,

I'm planning to buy a Gigabyte 970 card, but the led is obnoxiously the wrong colour. I just wondered whether anyone has changed the led themselves. I'm not going to go at it with a soldering iron, but if there's another way which doesn't risk damage I'd be tempted to try.

Otherwise is there anywhere in the UK that sells modified components?

Thanks

Hi Folks,

I'm planning to buy a Gigabyte 970 card, but the led is obnoxiously the wrong colour. I just wondered whether anyone has changed the led themselves. I'm not going to go at it with a soldering iron, but if there's another way which doesn't risk damage I'd be tempted to try.

Thanks

you should get an r9 290x

anyways what is your build color scheme?

Are you new to the forums???? read the Code of Conduct HERE WANT SOME AWESOME LTT THEMED WALLPAPERS??? check out XTanksSlayerX's wallpaper thread HERE 

"May our framerates be high, and our temperatures low" - PC MasterRace

I'd get one of the 970s with a white LED and put a colour filter over it. That's the easiest way of making sure the colour matches the theme of your PC if you can't get a GPU with an LED that's already that colour.

There's literally a thread about annoyances in this forum right now where a bunch of people are listing fanboys and giving unhelpful advice multiple times as the issue they have with this forum at the moment.

Question is, what type of Gigabyte 970 you're getting? Reference? G1 Gaming?

I've done this, I changed mine to red. Just do it. Only a couple of quid for the LED's from France but you need to solder.

Computer Spec: CPU: i5 4690K @ 4.85GHz Delided    Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero    RAM: Corsair Vengence 2*4GB    GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970    PSU: Corsair RM650    Boot Drive: Crucial MX100 256GB SSD    Storage: 1TB WD Blue HDD   Case: NZXT H440 Red and Black 

Cooling: EK PWM D5 Pump & EK 140ML RES Combo unit , EK Supremacy Evo CPU Block , 360mm Alphacool Radiator , 3 Noctua NF-F12 Fans on the radiator , Some fancy fittings

First of all, you are breaking the CoC in several ways. Go read it.

Second, the 970 is still better than a 290x.

Third, he already owns it, not looking to buy one.

Fourth, you should keep your opinion to yourself unless someone asks for it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Hi Folks,

Thanks

If it's the Windforce logo that lights up you can dye that piece of plastic to match your color scheme which will require no wiring but changing the LED's will requiring some soldering since it's not possible the change it out without some cutting and splicing things back together. Also it may require a resistor if the LED you are replacing it with isn't the original white or blue LED assuming the voltage source is 3.0V.

If it's the Windforce logo that lights up you can dye that piece of plastic to match your color scheme which will require no wiring but changing the LED's will requiring some soldering since it's not possible the change it out without some cutting and splicing things back together. Also it may require a resistor if the LED you are replacing it with isn't the original white or blue LED assuming the voltage source is 3.0V.

There is no need for a resistor change.

Computer Spec: CPU: i5 4690K @ 4.85GHz Delided    Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero    RAM: Corsair Vengence 2*4GB    GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970    PSU: Corsair RM650    Boot Drive: Crucial MX100 256GB SSD    Storage: 1TB WD Blue HDD   Case: NZXT H440 Red and Black 

Cooling: EK PWM D5 Pump & EK 140ML RES Combo unit , EK Supremacy Evo CPU Block , 360mm Alphacool Radiator , 3 Noctua NF-F12 Fans on the radiator , Some fancy fittings

Hi Folks,

Yeah, I like the idea behind g-sync and to be honest I've just always had a good experience with n-videa cards. So with the colour filter option how does one apply that and where would I buy one from?

Thanks.

It is definitely a white LED behind a blue filter then, and not not a blue LED? 

It is definitely a white LED behind a blue filter then, and not not a blue LED? 

There is no need for a resistor change.

Assuming there is is a resistor in place then yes no need for a change but if there isn't one and the just current regulate it on the board it may need one but it depends usually, worst case scenario LED goes half brightness in short amount of time.

Hi Folks,

Yeah, I like the idea behind g-sync and to be honest I've just always had a good experience with n-videa cards. So with the colour filter option how does one apply that and where would I buy one from?

Thanks.

The colored filtered is probably best to be applied either as a spray on tint the front of the logo or a tinted film if you can apply it on the back between the logo and the LED.

I can't understand why they made it white and didn't make it RGB!!! It doesn't even match their own motherboard design... argh.

Someone could make a killing modifying components.

I can't understand why they made it white and didn't make it RGB!!! It doesn't even match their own motherboard design... argh.

Someone could make a killing modifying components.

RGB would be nice on a lot of things but it does make it more complicated with RGB LED controllers needed on the PCB, but let us know how it all turns out.

Assuming there is is a resistor in place then yes no need for a change but if there isn't one and the just current regulate it on the board it may need one but it depends usually, worst case scenario LED goes half brightness in short amount of time.

No I have swapped out the LED's in mine. There is already a resister there and brightness is fine :)

Oh and the LED's originally are blue, Yes there is no film on mine anyway.

I found it! The thread on OCN has all the information about it, links and tut. Very easy to do.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1519475/gigabyte-g1-gaming-geforce-gtx-960-970-980-led-swap

Thanks mate,

It looks like I'm going to have to learn how to solder lol. I'm sure it's all very straight forward. Just don't touch the hot end ;)

As ever thanks for all the advice guys. Much appreciated!