Lost the hype

Supreme Commander was a spiritual successor of which game? I've played both and I love the gigantic battles that are possible :)

Total annihilation ;)

I still have to get round to playing Planetary Annihilation... its been sitting in my steam list for a while now gathering dust :(

Total annihilation ;)

I still have to get round to playing Planetary Annihilation... its been sitting in my steam list for a while now gathering dust :(

My head can't quite get use to playing on a sphere map, there's no north east south west gate to defend and you can't turtle because you'll end up with a planet dropped on your face.

Supreme Commander was a spiritual successor of which game? I've played both and I love the gigantic battles that are possible :)

total annihilation, its not as big but the community was huge, I made a couple of unit for it myself, total amount of mods comes to about 5gb but still years worth of fun.

Ah, sorry. I misunderstood why you underlined them. I don't think that just having game play alone is good enough to warrant a purchase. It depends on the amount of content, how refined the game-play is, the experience it offers. The (my) big issue so far is content, and maybe with the content release coming up it might be worth it. My point regarding this matter is, that in it's current state I don't fell like it's worth it. Until they can deliver something that's worth the asking price, I don't think they should be taking any more money from people. Or at the very least, make it clear that all of the items in store do not have to purchased to be obtained in game. I don't care what you say about them being clear, because I can't see it been written down anywhere obvious on the website. I think I read it in one of the FAQs a while back, but that isn't really what I would define as being made clear. The game and studio have been generate a LOT of hype, and then throw an overwhelming list of purchases you can make at you. The deceptiveness of it all is really what I have a problem with.

As for the studio itself, they have no games released prior to this, and looking at the content that has already been created is a better example of a tech demo than a finished game. I know the director, Chris Roberts hasn't made a game in over a decade (according to GaintBomb and wikipedia). In an industry that advances so quickly, I don't consider the achievements of someone a decade ago to be relevant any more.

Then feel free to leave. You fail to understand the concept of supporting developing of a game. You don't buy the game (as of right now). You give them money to support the development, and in return, you get access to the modules as they release, and a ship.

Don't worry you didn't come across as patronising or anything, we are just debating opinions :)

While I wouldn't be against the red text idea I am of the opinion that they buyer has to take ownership of their purchasing choices especially when looking at a early access product, anything bought under the flag of early access should be seen as nothing more than supporting the development of said product and it is up to the customer to decide how much they spend, what they spend it on and if they even choose to spend anything at all by doing their own background research. I would liken it to fast food chains being forced to write in big red text over their burgers "this is unhealthy", the health information is out there but if the customer doesn't take enough of an interest to look at it that is on them.

I don't see giving people a selection of choices as a bad thing either as it benefits both the developers and the customer, the customer can pledge more and receive something slightly better in return (but ultimately worth nothing) rather than having the only option being to buy X amount of the same (now redundant) ship and the developer will not only get more (because people aren't turned off by only having one option) but when the PU releases it also allows the world to be populated with a variety of ships and load outs rather than 90% of the population flying around in Auroras for the first month, even in its current state the variety is nice in my opinion, I know Aurora and Mustang owners love to see their ship shredding Hornets (@rentaspoon ;)).

Ultimately in my opinion having more choices is better and if someone is unsure about the game in any way they still have the choice of waiting till release, more so now then ever because at this point the game will be made so its not like someone not backing early will prevent that from happening. The nice thing is if people want to pledge more to help the developers expand and polish the original vision further they can but no one should be spending money they cant afford to spend or would be uncomfortable loosing should the game come out in a form they weren't expecting, this should apply to any game whether it be an early access game, pre-order or even final release. This is intended to be a $60 game so if someone spends $600 on it they better own the fact that most of their money is being spent on supporting the developers and not just buying the game and I think most people that spend that much know this, they, like me, are just hyped about the potential of getting a game that not only brings back a near dead genre but expands and innovates not only in that genre but several others and will actually push high end technology for a change... or it could just be a clunky mess... either way I will have no regrets ;)

Yeah, you have a point about the customer research. I doubt the average player ever reads up on things like that, which you are right, is their own fault. But knowing they won't, in CIGs position, I would do something about that. Not to mention, hype is a very powerful thing. There's a reason that marketing budgets are almost the same as the development budget, and even sometimes exceed the cost of development. Because the more a person gets hyped about the game, the more easily and quickly they'll part with their money. Me and my friends used to pre-order games after so much as a nice looking cinematic.

I don't think choice is a bad thing, usually. It's all really just about how much money people keep giving this project, and having so many (must be well over 100) choices ranging from ships, ship variations, ship skins, hangar upgrades, etc. I don't think helps that problem of people giving out ludicrous amounts of money to the studio. While I don't have any ill-will against this game, I really do hope it's awesome, I just don't have any I don't have any idea of what the studio is capable of delivering it. None of us do, but many people are still parting with ridiculous amounts of money for this  game. As for ship variety, that's something that I can agree with, but I still think that selling the ships could be stopped until after release.

Yeah, you are right, at this point the game has made so much money, and the game has been in development for a while. It's coming out regardless of whether people keep putting money into it. So why still keep all of the inanely priced buying options?

Yeah, you are right, at this point the game has made so much money, and the game has been in development for a while. It's coming out regardless of whether people keep putting money into it. So why still keep all of the inanely priced buying options?

3 reasons

1. More money, more security and all of it's going back into the game

2. I've upgraded from an Aurora Mr to a Mustang but I want still want an Aurora LN for the start of the game but I don't have the cash, it they stopped it now, I would be pissed.

3. I forget number 3

3 reasons

1. More money, more security and all of it's going back into the game

2. I've upgraded from an Aurora Mr to a Mustang but I want still want an Aurora LN for the start of the game but I don't have the cash, it they stopped it now, I would be pissed.

*patiently waiting for #3*

To be clear, they will stop with the pledge options some point before or at release. Then there will be no more ships available to buy with real world money. The only way how real money could be spent, is to buy in-game currency to boost your character a bit, but only a small amount per day/week as large amounts will disturb and unbalance the in-game economy.

When the game launches and you buy it for the retail price, you will get a starter ship and will have to start from scratch to work your way at the top. Some people prefer it that way and it is totally fine to wait until then.

For those who can't wait, well...

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

Yeah, you have a point about the customer research. I doubt the average player ever reads up on things like that, which you are right, is their own fault. But knowing they won't, in CIGs position, I would do something about that. Not to mention, hype is a very powerful thing. There's a reason that marketing budgets are almost the same as the development budget, and even sometimes exceed the cost of development. Because the more a person gets hyped about the game, the more easily and quickly they'll part with their money. Me and my friends used to pre-order games after so much as a nice looking cinematic.

I don't think choice is a bad thing, usually. It's all really just about how much money people keep giving this project, and having so many (must be well over 100) choices ranging from ships, ship variations, ship skins, hangar upgrades, etc. I don't think helps that problem of people giving out ludicrous amounts of money to the studio. While I don't have any ill-will against this game, I really do hope it's awesome, I just don't have any I don't have any idea of what the studio is capable of delivering it. None of us do, but many people are still parting with ridiculous amounts of money for this  game. As for ship variety, that's something that I can agree with, but I still think that selling the ships could be stopped until after release.

The pricing is laid out as it is to hold the value of each of the ships, if the larger/expensive ships were offered at a lowered price that devalues the cheaper ships so the real life pricing ratios have to (roughly) mirror the in game pricing ratios, the beginner ships need to be a certain minimum value so as to make pledges worth while and everything goes up from there, they also have to maintain the value of their original kickstarter, if they knew they were going to get this much they might have priced the Auroras at $20 but back then they weren't sure if they could get even $500K. They could stop selling the more expensive ships but then you loose the ship variance I mentioned, the pricing also helps keep the larger ships numbers down so not everyone has an Orion or Constellation on day one and the cheap ships will still be the most common, they even go a step further with the capital ships/destroyers and only sell limited numbers - at an inflated price so as to offer a limited discount on entry level ships at the same time.

The main reason people still throw large amounts of money at the game is because the more they have the more they expand on, there are a fair few people out there with stacks of cash willing to drop several grand just in the hope that this will be the game they've been waiting for for the last 10 years. I wouldn't feel happy about doing that myself without some sort of share holding but then again I don't have a million dollars sitting in my bank account doing nothing ;)

Im just waiting for the planetside/fps modules really

Im just waiting for the planetside/fps modules really

Coming soon™

Personally I'll be the transport pilot dropping members everywhere and spend little time on the surface as fly ships is more exciting to me

I finally got to fly the Gladius. That's a big one for me.

It's a pretty ship, I want one

It's a pretty ship, I want one

The stock load-out is crap, but the way this ship handles... it's the coolest flying ship yet. Fast and agile. 

The stock load-out is crap, but the way this ship handles... it's the coolest flying ship yet. Fast and agile.

I think a lot of ships need a modified default loadout to much of the same stuff.

They need something that'll compete with the hornet without changing the ships but the loadouts.