i7-4790k Reaches 95c when Rendering?!

Go to solution Solved by Swndlr,

stock cooler is your answer.

So I started rendering a video in Sony Vegas and after 30 seconds all four cores where at 95c! I've recently changed the render settings I am using, so it gives me much better quality:file size. I'm using the stock cooler and with my old settings it used to sit at 75c-80c at full load when rendering.

I know most of you will tell me to get an aftermarket cooler, don't worry I will, just got other things to buy first  ;)

Is it normal to for a 4790k to reach 95c at full load? I've only had the CPU for two months and that seems pretty damn hot... I cancelled the render as soon as I saw the temperature!

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

You have an unlocked CPU and a stock cooler? Upgrade the cooler to at least a 212 EVO, and then OC.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Okay, I thought as much...

Is it bad to run at 95c? I presume so. It's just that I want to get this video uploaded, so would it be better to render at 95c (for 20mins) or switch back to my old settings and render at 75c-80c like i used to?

Okay, I thought as much...

Is it bad to run at 95c? I presume so. It's just that I want to get this video uploaded, so would it be better to render at 95c (for 20mins) or switch back to my old settings and render at 75c-80c like i used to?

wont make much of a difference tbh

get a new cooler asap and maybe reapply thermal paste?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

'm using the stock cooler 

just got other things to buy first  ;)

You like to render, and have a K processor mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i dont know you, but my top 1 priority would be an Aftermarket Cooler.

CPU AMD FX-6350 @ 4.5Ghz 1.284v Motherboard ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Memory 4x2GB ADATA XPG Gaming v2.0 1600Mhz CPU Cooler Corsair H100i

GPU MSI 270x HAWK Edition Display HP w1907 Storage 1x Samsung 850 EVO 128Gb SSD 1x 400GB Hitachi HDD Case Corsair 450D PSU Corsair CX750M Semi-modular

Keyboard Logitech G105 Blue LED Version Mouse Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 Audio 2x Logitech x230 for a Quad-Channel speaker setup OS Windows 8.1

reapply thermal paste?

doubt it's the thermal paste, I used the stuff that's preapplied to intel's retail coolers, so I didn't even have to touch it...

You like to render, and have a K processor mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i dont know you, but my top 1 priority would be an Aftermarket Cooler.

I will be getting a Corsair water cooler after I've got a new GPU, but for the time being what cheap/effective cooler would you guys recommend?

doubt it's the thermal paste, I used the stuff that's preapplied to intel's retail coolers, so I didn't even have to touch it...

I will be getting a Corsair water cooler after I've got a new GPU, but for the time being what cheap/effective cooler would you guys recommend?

The stock cooler will get the job done, as you have been doing. I would not recommend buying a cheap cooler and then spending on a good cooler because at the end, for the ammount of money spent you could have bought an even better cooler, keep your stock cooler, just be carefull and pay extra atention to the temps when rendering, 95°C is not the max temperature rated for that processor but in the long term it could reduce its lifespan, be "gentle" with your processor until you get your watercooler.

I would recommend a CM Hyper 212 Evo but that would be for the long term, and you want to watercool it ASAP (i guess), so better keep your money and go for the WaterCooling inmediately

CPU AMD FX-6350 @ 4.5Ghz 1.284v Motherboard ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Memory 4x2GB ADATA XPG Gaming v2.0 1600Mhz CPU Cooler Corsair H100i

GPU MSI 270x HAWK Edition Display HP w1907 Storage 1x Samsung 850 EVO 128Gb SSD 1x 400GB Hitachi HDD Case Corsair 450D PSU Corsair CX750M Semi-modular

Keyboard Logitech G105 Blue LED Version Mouse Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0 Audio 2x Logitech x230 for a Quad-Channel speaker setup OS Windows 8.1

The stock cooler will get the job done, as you have been doing. I would not recommend buying a cheap cooler and then spending on a good cooler because at the end, for the ammount of money spent you could have bought an even better cooler, keep your stock cooler, just be carefull and pay extra atention to the temps when rendering, 95°C is not the max temperature rated for that processor but in the long term it could reduce its lifespan, be "gentle" with your processor until you get your watercooler.

I would recommend a CM Hyper 212 Evo but that would be for the long term, and you want to watercool it ASAP (i guess), so better keep your money and go for the WaterCooling inmediately

Okay, thanks  :D