Are headphones better than external speakers?

Jassal2008

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

HRTF is often given as the reason speakers are used to mix and master rather than headphones, at least by sound engineers permitted to actually put that sort of labor into a particular track.  That said headphones are capable of reproducing a well recorded track, in regards to "soundstage" and instrument placement as well.  Further, headphones will generally provide better detail and information retrieval than a given speaker.  Last but not least headphones are physically closer to a single point source than any multi driver speaker.  Put a speaker close to your head and depending on which driver your ear is closest to, you will hear a different sound.  This also eliminates several problems in speakers including time and phase alignment, room/cabinet reflections, and baffle step compensation.  Headphones > speakers, at least for critical listening ;)

System: i5 6600K@3.6 GHz, Gigabyte Z170XP SLI, 2x8 Corsair DDR 3000, Corsair Hydro H60i cooler, Rosewill CAPSTONE 750w Gold PSU, 1x 512GB SSD, 1x 2TB 7200RPM, Windows 10 Pro x64
Display: XFX R9 390 DD, triple 1920x1200 24" HP monitors (5760x1200 @ 60Hz)   Sound: Audio-gd NFB-11 -> AKG K7XX or 2.1 speaker system

You could try wearing it with the headband on the back of the head, or in front. It may look ridiculous, but hey, at least it should work.

Or use ducttape.

Keith_Moon_Who_Are_You_1978.jpg

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Elaborating on this point, the stereo image on most music is too wide for headphones anyway, at least in the case of true stereo acoustic music. People that claim they can pinpoint instrument positions with headphones while listening to such a recording are fooling themselves.

totally agree. i have listened to my cousin's Bey T1 system for a number of hours with songs that im familiar with and detail is slightly better than my mid tier speakers while the deep bass, body impact and the sound stage is no where near my speakers. imo headphone never makes you feel that you are in a concert while speakers nearly always do.

CD Transport: Oppo 105 > RCA: Morrow MA1 / HDMI > Processor: Primare SP33 > RCA: Morrow MA1 > Amplifier: Elektra Theatron 7 > Speaker Cables: Neotech > Speakers: Monitor Audio RS8