Perfect $1500 Gaming Build?

Go to solution Solved by jttiglao,

Solved! Got great advice from awesome people. Thanks again for the builds and advice :)

Hi! My birthday is coming shortly, just around February 20th! I'm young still in school, and don't have a job. So, unfortunately, I rely on my parents money. A few years ago, it was my brothers birthday, and so my dad asked him to put together a $1500 build and he would get it. Now, this includes peripherals and the monitor. So, I thought, why not start off with a $1500 budget and see what I can pull off.

SOME SIDE NOTES:

I already have a monitor and a mouse. So, that leaves some extra money.

I think I am gonna have to stick with these parts because I have decided that I think it is right for my build:

Audioengine A2+ Desktop Speakers

NZXT H440 Designed by Razer

Kingston HyperX Cloud II

That takes about $500 away from our build.

Unites States

REQUIREMENTS:

1 SSD

1 HDD

$1500 INCLUDING PERPHERALS(READ ABOVE BECAUSE I ALREADY HAVE SOME COMPONENTS)

Good enough build to run modern games at good fps at 1440p (Dual Monitors??)

Any suggestions for my speakers, headsets, and case that I am almost certain on?

Sooo... the question is... can you guys help me perfect this build??

Hi! My birthday is coming shortly, just around February 20th! I'm young still in school, and don't have a job. So, unfortunately, I rely on my parents money. A few years ago, it was my brothers birthday, and so my dad asked him to put together a $1500 build and he would get it. Now, this includes peripherals and the monitor. So, I thought, why not start off with a $1500 budget and see what I can pull off.

SOME SIDE NOTES:
I already have a monitor and a mouse. So, that leaves some extra money.
I think I am gonna have to stick with these parts because I have decided that I think it is right for my build:
Audioengine A2+ Desktop Speakers
NZXT H440 Designed by Razer
Kingston HyperX Cloud II
That takes about $500 away from our build.

REQUIREMENTS:
1 SSD
1 HDD
$1500 INCLUDING PERPHERALS(READ ABOVE BECAUSE I ALREADY HAVE SOME COMPONENTS)
Good enough build to run modern games at good fps at 1440p
Any suggestions for my speakers, headsets, and case that I am almost certain on?

Sooo... the question is... can you guys help me perfect this build??

I

ill give it a shot. 

in the us right?

ill give it a shot. 

in the us right?

Thanks! :) and yes, in the US.

@jttiglao

Well, this is assuming that the other $500 will cover aforementioned parts in the OP. PSU headroom to add a second 290/290X later on :)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.95 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($129.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Diamond Radeon R9 290 4GB Video Card  ($259.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $999.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-02 20:30 EST-0500

"Rawr XD"

This is what I would get. Also consider getting an r9 290, especially if you need a windows copy.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($120.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Elite Plus 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial V4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($359.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer™ ATX Mid Tower Case  ($149.99 @ NZXT)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Keyboard: Ducky DK2108-BUSLLA Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($92.00 @ Mechanical Keyboards)
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset  ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Other: audioengine A2+ ($249.99)
Total: $1492.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-02 20:33 EST-0500

Thanks! :) and yes, in the US.

Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($62.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($299.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Monitor: Acer K272HULbmiidp 60Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($393.99 @ B&H) 
Total: $1455.47
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-02 20:37 EST-0500

I went with a black and red color scheme because it was easier to work with. The case is the same, just without the razer logo, and it's red.

If you want it to have a green and black scheme, just tell me.

This is my attempt, it's powerful and sexy :)

I did not include the keyboard because it's all preference. It's up to you to decide, but if it really helps, I love Cherry MX Browns (has a bump midway thru press and easy to click)

For OS, you can buy it for 15 bucks off of Reddit. www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap

Sorry if it kinda went over budget!

Good luck with your build!

EDIT: Oh crap! forgot that you needed the speakers and headsets, gonna fix your build to fix the budget :)
EDIT: Just noticed that you already have a monitor! boy am I on a roll haha fixing

@jttiglao

Well, this is assuming that the other $500 will cover aforementioned parts in the OP. PSU headroom to add a second 290/290X later on :)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.75 @ OutletPC) 

Memory: Team Xtreem Dark Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($60.98 @ Newegg) 

Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP900 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($65.98 @ Newegg) 

Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.00 @ Amazon) 

Video Card: Diamond Radeon R9 290 4GB Video Card  ($259.99 @ Newegg) 

Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($95.99 @ NCIX US) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.98 @ OutletPC) 

Total: $999.61

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-02 20:30 EST-0500

Thanks Aniallation! This looks like one hella build! For the GPU, at the $1000 price range for the pc itself, I see a lot of people getting the GTX 970-980. How would this GPU compare to the R9 290?

This is what I would get. Also consider getting an r9 290, especially if you need a windows copy. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($229.99 @ Newegg)Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($120.98 @ Newegg)Memory: Team Elite Plus 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($57.99 @ Newegg)Storage: Crucial V4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.95 @ Amazon)Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.88 @ OutletPC)Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($359.99 @ Amazon)Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer™ ATX Mid Tower Case  ($149.99 @ NZXT)Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ NCIX US)Keyboard: Ducky DK2108-BUSLLA Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($92.00 @ Mechanical Keyboards)Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset  ($99.99 @ Amazon)Other: audioengine A2+ ($249.99)Total: $1492.74Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-02 20:33 EST-0500

Hey Biferony! Thanks so much for this build! I was wondering if I were to replace my Apple Cinema Display with another 27" monitor 1440p, which would be the best? I also plan to get another one later on, so that I have a dual monitor setup. But would this build be able to handle that, or would I need maybe another 290?

Thanks Aniallation! This looks like one hella build! For the GPU, at the $1000 price range for the pc itself, I see a lot of people getting the GTX 970-980. How would this GPU compare to the R9 290?

No problem. As for the GPU, seeing as you are running 1440p, the 290 will definitely be a better choice due to it's full-speed VRAM access across all 4GB.

"Rawr XD"

No problem. As for the GPU, seeing as you are running 1440p, the 290 will definitely be a better choice due to it's full-speed VRAM access across all 4GB.

If I were to get 2 1440p monitors, would I need to get another 290 to support it?

Hey Biferony! Thanks so much for this build! I was wondering if I were to replace my Apple Cinema Display with another 27" monitor 1440p, which would be the best? I also plan to get another one later on, so that I have a dual monitor setup. But would this build be able to handle that, or would I need maybe another 290?

The power supply in that build is a bit less then I'd prefer for running two 290s.

"Rawr XD"

If I were to get 2 1440p monitors, would I need to get another 290 to support it?

No, two monitors can run off one graphics card. However keep in mind it's a dumb idea to be gaming across two monitors, because there will be a big blank space between the monitors taken up by the bezels.

Dualmonitors1.jpg

"Rawr XD"

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.95 @ SuperBiiz) CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.75 @ OutletPC) Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($129.99 @ Amazon) Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1066 Memory  ($67.98 @ Newegg) Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($62.99 @ Amazon) Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($77.85 @ OutletPC) Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($299.99 @ Newegg) Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz) Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($64.99 @ NCIX US) Monitor: Acer K272HULbmiidp 60Hz 27.0" Monitor  ($393.99 @ B&H) Total: $1455.47Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-02 20:37 EST-0500 I went with a black and red color scheme because it was easier to work with. The case is the same, just without the razer logo, and it's red. If you want it to have a green and black scheme, just tell me. This is my attempt, it's powerful and sexy :).  I did not include the keyboard because it's all preference. It's up to you to decide, but if it really helps, I love Cherry MX Browns (has a bump midway thru press and easy to click)For OS, you can buy it for 15 bucks off of Reddit. www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap Sorry if it kinda went over budget! Good luck with your build! EDIT: Oh crap! forgot that you needed the speakers and headsets, gonna fix your build to fix the budget :)EDIT: Just noticed that you already have a monitor! boy am I on a roll haha fixing

Hahaha. I feel you. Mistakes after mistakes. :)

The apple display is pretty good, though overpriced. I would get a second 290 for dual 1440p. The listed psu would be fine, but would be straining, so you may want a 850W+ one.

No, two monitors can run off one graphics card. However keep in mind it's a dumb idea to be gaming across two monitors, because there will be a big blank space between the monitors taken up by the bezels.

Dualmonitors1.jpg

Thanks! And IF I were to be using dual monitors, I wouldn't be using both of them to play a game. I'd use one monitor to play the game, and another to browse the web. Multi-tasking. :)

The apple display is pretty good, though overpriced. I would get a second 290 for dual 1440p. The listed psu would be fine, but would be straining, so you may want a 850W+ one.

Ok. Thanks so much for your help! :)

Ok. Thanks so much for your help! :)

Apple monitors also have pretty poor response times compared to other non-Apple monitors, worse experience for gaming.

Thanks! And IF I were to be using dual monitors, I wouldn't be using both of them to play a game. I'd use one monitor to play the game, and another to browse the web. Multi-tasking. :)

Then that's no problem. A second monitor can be connected to the same GPU and used alongside the first one. :)

"Rawr XD"

Apple monitors also have pretty poor response times compared to other non-Apple monitors, worse experience for gaming.

Then that's no problem. A second monitor can be connected to the same GPU and used alongside the first one. :)

Ok. Thanks so much for the advice. How should I thank you guys? I can't mark all of your answers as solved, is there some way I can do something?

TBH response time doesn't really matter, it wont be significant considering all the other factors.

Ok. Thanks so much for the advice. How should I thank you guys? I can't mark all of your answers as solved, is there some way I can do something?

Mark one of your own posts

TBH response time doesn't really matter, it wont be significant considering all the other factors.

In competitive games like CSGO some people do notice the difference between a 1-5ms monitor and the 12-17ms of the Apple displays (depending on which model)

"Rawr XD"

Solved! Got great advice from awesome people. Thanks again for the builds and advice :)