High end APU as a regular CPU

Go to solution Solved by Briggsy,

When the gtx680 and HD7970 were the strongest graphic cards on the market, AMD's architecture was good enough for gaming. Pair anything better than a gtx 770 (rebranded 680) or R9 280x (rebranded 7970) with a top end AMD cpu, and the cpu won't be pushing enough draw calls per clock to the graphic card to fully utilize the graphic horse power (dx11 bottleneck).

avoid pentiums for gaming. i3 or i5 is bare minimum if you want to use a 290/x/780/ti/970/980. If you want to SLI/CrossfireX then i7 or hyper-threaded E3 xeon.

Hi everyone,

I'm just starting to select parts with a friend to build him a new PC. Within his current budget, we might be able to squeeze an i5 and R9 280, possibly a 285 or GTX 960 (depending on other factors and exact costs). However, in about a month he will be getting some more money to spend on further upgrades. I was wondering about starting him off on an APU (one of the A10s probably) and then using that just as a regular quad core CPU with a more powerful GPU (290, 970, possibly 980).

Basically I just want to know if there's any significant disadvantage to this - particularly if it were to be a major bottleneck. I'm struggling to find A10 benchmarks against CPUs like the i5 4460 or 4690k when they're both paired with a high end GPU.

Thanks for your help.

High end APUs will bottleneck high end video cards using DX11.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

those apu's are all very slow and weak and they will greatly bottleneck gpu better than r9 270 in most games...cpu wise they are the same as the athlon 760k and 860k which are very low end parts that wont even compare to a low end i3 in terms of perormance...sry.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

When the gtx680 and HD7970 were the strongest graphic cards on the market, AMD's architecture was good enough for gaming. Pair anything better than a gtx 770 (rebranded 680) or R9 280x (rebranded 7970) with a top end AMD cpu, and the cpu won't be pushing enough draw calls per clock to the graphic card to fully utilize the graphic horse power (dx11 bottleneck).

avoid pentiums for gaming. i3 or i5 is bare minimum if you want to use a 290/x/780/ti/970/980. If you want to SLI/CrossfireX then i7 or hyper-threaded E3 xeon.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR