USB flashdrive connects to PC but doesn't show up in devices or under "This PC"

Hey everyone!

So I have an Adata s805 32GB USB 2.0 which until now has served me very well over the 2 or so years I have had it. But the other day a friend connected it to my laptop to transfer some files and when he brought it back to me I couldn't get the drive to show files! Even though it connects to the PC (I tested it on 4 different computers with the same results) the removable storage device won't show up under  "this PC". So I checked in my devices and printers and it is connected there. And also what I find really weird is that there is no information about the drive :/ I'm really stuck. It worked perfectly fine minutes before I got it and now nothing. And it seems the device is not broke either! Maybe some new drivers or something will work? Please any advice is greatly appreciated :/

Thnx for all replies!

post-45414-0-62655900-1422637222.jpg

post-45414-0-32504100-1422637224.jpg

post-45414-0-58687700-1422637225.jpg

post-45414-0-85318600-1422637226.jpg

post-45414-0-86046000-1422637228.jpg

post-45414-0-26139900-1422637230.jpg

Hey this could be that the device is simple corrupted file format. So what you can do is test it on another PC is its the same situation try going to device manager and removing the device from under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers". Then remove and plug the USB back in it should re install the device driver and then be accessible.

When I say remove the device I mean un-install it from Device manager.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[DESKTOP] CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k GPU: ASUS ROG 2080TI RAM: 64GB Corsair Fury DDR4 Mobo: Asus z390-A Prime

Storage:1x 1TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD 2x 1TB WD Black SSD, 2x 3Tb Seagate  HDD PSU: Seasonic 950W

Monitors: 2x Asus TUF Gaming 24" 1440p  144hz, 2x LG  75Hz 1080p LED

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[SERVER/NAS] CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: Nvidia 1060 6GB RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Mobo: Asus z-170P D3

Storage:1x 1TB Western Digital SSD, 4x Ironwolf Pro 12Tb HDD, 2x 2TB WD Blue  PSU: Thermaltake 650W

[LAPTOP (MacBook Pro 16")] CPU: 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, RAM: 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, SSD: 2 TB

GPU: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB Display: 16-inch (3072 x 1920)

Hey this could be that the device is simple corrupted file format. So what you can do is test it on another PC is its the same situation try going to device manager and removing the device from under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers". Then remove and plug the USB back in it should re install the device driver and then be accessible.

When I say remove the device I mean un-install it from Device manager.

Hey! I tried that and the same result. The driver reinstalled but I can't see it under "My PC" or anything :/ It is under devices though. Just like on the screens above

You can try formatting it the more advanced way lmao, go to disk management, look for the USB then right click, and select delete drive and then right click again and create new simple volume. 

If that does not work try right clicking in disk management and selecting format. 

[DESKTOP] CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k GPU: ASUS ROG 2080TI RAM: 64GB Corsair Fury DDR4 Mobo: Asus z390-A Prime

Storage:1x 1TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD 2x 1TB WD Black SSD, 2x 3Tb Seagate  HDD PSU: Seasonic 950W

Monitors: 2x Asus TUF Gaming 24" 1440p  144hz, 2x LG  75Hz 1080p LED

[SERVER/NAS] CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: Nvidia 1060 6GB RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Mobo: Asus z-170P D3

Storage:1x 1TB Western Digital SSD, 4x Ironwolf Pro 12Tb HDD, 2x 2TB WD Blue  PSU: Thermaltake 650W

[LAPTOP (MacBook Pro 16")] CPU: 2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9, RAM: 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, SSD: 2 TB

GPU: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB Display: 16-inch (3072 x 1920)

You can try formatting it the more advanced way lmao, go to disk management, look for the USB then right click, and select delete drive and then right click again and create new simple volume. 

If that does not work try right clicking in disk management and selecting format. 

Exactly what I was going to suggest.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Windows+R -> diskmgmt.msc +Enter -> Search for your USB drive. (Should be clearly visible through the 32 GB size) -> right click -> format the device -> when this is done -> assign a new letter.

If format doesn't work -> erase partition -> new partition (NTFS) -> assign drive letter.

IMPORTANT! Before you do ANYTHING: Make sure you selected the right drive! Don't reformat your primary HDD! (110 GB / 110,000 MB <- NOT THIS ONE!)

You were both faster. Damn!  :D

“For if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well.” 
― Barack Obama

Tech:

Daily Driver: MacBook Pro 15" TB (mid-2018), Intel Core i7-8850H, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz, 512 GB SSD, AMD Radeon Pro 560XWeight lifting: Dell Alienware 15 R4, Intel Core i7-8750H, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz SK Hynix, Nvidia GTX 1070 on 15" 1080p TN Gsync 120Hz, Intel Pro 7600p PCIe NVMe 256 GB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 15" 1920x1080 TN Gsync 120Hz, Windows 10 Pro, Fedora 30, K.L, P.OS. The Home Panel: Samsung C34H892, 34" Ultra Wide 3440x1440p, VA, 60Hz.

Tumblr - Riot-Company, CA

I can vouch for different formats not being usable, Especially if its formatted for another OS, For example OSX uses a different format for its drive, Which windows can not recognize 

I didn't format the drive in any OSX or Linux machine - in fact it was only a week ago that I FAT32 formated it on this very machine! :(

Windows+R -> diskmgmt.msc +Enter -> Search for your USB drive. (Should be clearly visible through the 32 GB size) -> right click -> format the device -> when this is done -> assign a new letter.

If format doesn't work -> erase partition -> new partition (NTFS) -> assign drive letter.

IMPORTANT! Before you do ANYTHING: Make sure you selected the right drive! Don't reformat your primary HDD! (110 GB / 110,000 MB <- NOT THIS ONE!)

You were both faster. Damn!  :D

Hey man! The partition doesn't even show up so the right-clicking doesn't give me the format option :/:( what else?? :o

I can't. The partition doesn't come up -> look at the screen. I did notice though that windows was going crazy about something that the USB drive needs to be fixed or something but I never did it.... Is that relevant?

post-45414-0-34328300-1422649777_thumb.j

post-45414-0-34328300-1422649777_thumb.j

this is a bad sign

it might mean the drive is prob dead

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Last thing I would try on that device is this:

http://www.apacer.com/en/support/downloads/Repair_v2.9.1.1.zip

or this (one of my faves when I have trouble with sticks or cards):

http://de.download.cnet.com/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool/3000-2094_4-10974082.html

Try to format it with this tool. If that also doesn't work dragoon20005 might be right.

“For if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well.” 
― Barack Obama

Tech:

Daily Driver: MacBook Pro 15" TB (mid-2018), Intel Core i7-8850H, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz, 512 GB SSD, AMD Radeon Pro 560XWeight lifting: Dell Alienware 15 R4, Intel Core i7-8750H, 16 GB DDR4 2400 MHz SK Hynix, Nvidia GTX 1070 on 15" 1080p TN Gsync 120Hz, Intel Pro 7600p PCIe NVMe 256 GB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 15" 1920x1080 TN Gsync 120Hz, Windows 10 Pro, Fedora 30, K.L, P.OS. The Home Panel: Samsung C34H892, 34" Ultra Wide 3440x1440p, VA, 60Hz.

Last thing I would try on that device is this:

http://www.apacer.com/en/support/downloads/Repair_v2.9.1.1.zip

or this (one of my faves when I have trouble with sticks or cards):

http://de.download.cnet.com/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool/3000-2094_4-10974082.html

Try to format it with this tool. If that also doesn't work dragoon20005 might be right.

Hey! 

So I tried both programs. The first one didn't find the drive at all, the second did but it wasn't able to format it.. It kept popping this up. Any other ideas?? Do the drivers look alright? I don't ever remember them looking like this.... :o

post-45414-0-53949800-1422718956.jpg

this is a bad sign

I really hope not :( I don't have any sensitive data on it but it would be a shame :o Anyway what about the driver?? Does it look alright? And how could the device be recognised if it would be dead? :o It connects, I hear the sound and everything but no media is visible :/

this is a bad sign

^What he said...

If it can't detect the storage on it, I suspect that the controller on the thing could be dead or the memory chip itself is dead... either way, that thing could be a  goner...

have you tried opening and reformatting it through linux?

^What he said...

If it can't detect the storage on it, I suspect that the controller on the thing could be dead or the memory chip itself is dead... either way, that thing could be a  goner...

No not yet :/ I don't have a Linux distro but I'll get Ubuntu and try it if it works :(

^What he said...

But the drive worked perfectly minutes before I got it though!!! It was connected, all the files showed up and my friends even transferred some doc onto it for me to use and then when I brought it to me with my laptop (still plugged in!!!!) I was like -> hey where's the USB ? (because I couldn't see it in the PC) and he said -> lol in the back of it..... That I just don't get...Literally what are the ods of this 

No not yet :/ I don't have a Linux distro but I'll get Ubuntu and try it if it works :(

A Ubuntu Live Disc schould work for this. And when you're already on it you can also try this:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/185815/how-do-i-clear-everything-data-viruses-from-a-thumbdrive

But be careful! Don't format your hard drive! ("/dev/sda" <- don't format this one!)

― Barack Obama

Tech: