Best DAC for the Money?

Sherako

So I have the D1 right now and the left channel sound is, well, isn't there. I don't have left channel sound. I've tried all of my headphones, different devices, even without the DAC and my headphones work fine. I don't have the time to RMA it, and I'm pretty sure the warranty expired. The highest ohm headphones I have are AKG's (62 Ohms) so I don't need too much of an amp, but more focused on the DAC. That's why I bought the D1, well mostly because I wanted to hook it up to my PS4. What would be "the best DAC for the money" in your opinion. I'm starting to seriously get into audio quality so if it is some exotic setup hit me up with it. I was thinking the ODAC, but it is a little bit out of my price range ($150 USD). E10k seems like an amazing buy, but it seems like I can get more with the money left in my budget. What do you guys think? Oh yeah, could I hook up my PS4 to a DAC without using the Toslink/SPDIF? If I can't, make sure that DAC has a digital Toslink/SPDIF in. I play more console than PC, but don't worry, I play a ton of PC... I need a life...

I trip to make the fall shorter

Fiio E10K is exactly what I came here to recommend.

Dreadnaught: Intel Core i7 970 3.2GHz, Silverstone TD-02, ASUS Rampage III Extreme, Kingston Fury White 24GB 1866MHz, Crucial BX100 250GB + Seagate 2TB SSHD, AMD Radeon Sapphire R9 390 Nitro, NZXT S340 White, Bitfenix Fury 650W, BenQ XL2730Z.

I think the Fiio E10K is just the ticket here. Of course, that's assuming that your onboard isn't working either.

80% of headphone amps in the market can't drive a 50 ohms headphone properly, the Hifiman HE-6....

That aint a DAC

That aint a DAC

Hmmmm you said:

AKG's (62 Ohms) so I don't need too much of an amp

While the 50 ohms HE-6 definitely needs an amp, and a powerful one. 

Just trying to correct a terrible misconception of 'this one doesn't need an amp because it's just X ohms', or 'this one definitely needs an amp because it's a whooping Y ohms'....

Hmmmm you said:

Just trying to correct a terrible misconception of 'this one doesn't need an amp because it's just X ohms', or 'this one definitely needs an amp because it's a whooping Y ohms'....

I heard they can take something ridiculous like 200mW.

Hmmmm you said:

I also recently found out that the analog logitech headsets are 32 ohms but have just 90dB/mW sensitivity, so they could theoretically run out of current and clip with some sources. Not just planars that are tough to drive in that impedance range.

How does the

Aune X1 Pro DSD DAC/Amp look from Massdrop?

I heard they can take something ridiculous like 200mW.

Calculation wise, 200mW can drive HE-6 to 106.5dB. For reference, 110dB is roughly the same loudness as a chainsaw 1 meter from ears.

The thing about driving a headphone louder, the louder it's supposed to go, the power required increases exponentially, not linearly. For instance, in HE-6's case, to go 106.5dB, it needs 200mW, while to go 100dB, it only needs 45mW, and 95dB = 14mW

I also recently found out that the analog logitech headsets are 32 ohms but have just 90dB/mW sensitivity, so they could theoretically run out of current and clip with some sources. Not just planars that are tough to drive in that impedance range.

Why would they still produce a thing like that? A gaming headset that requires a mid level amp is plain silly....

How does the Aune X1 Pro DSD DAC/Amp look from Massdrop?

Nothing special. Only get it if you wanna play DSD files. Otherwise just get their basic dac/amp, either solid state or tube one.

Edit: just saw it on massdrop. If the lowest price is reached, $160, then might as well get it. 

Take a look at the SMSL M8, they sound extremely good while costing less than 200bucks on massdrop