Never understood the reason for an UPS

noob_gamer

Hello fellow LTT members

I´m a young Danish boy at the age of 19, and i never really understood the reason why an UPS is important.
In Denmark a all most never experience a power outage or any dodgyness in the power delivery in Denmark.
which is why i have never seen it as an important thing to invest in, but.
right now i´m in Ireland and suddenly the reason for an UPS stands very clear. Where i live in Ireland the lights in the roofs flickers all the time and is not being fed with a stable power. and every time i plug anything into the wall the light flickers as well.
So if your computer was fed with that kind of unstable power i see why you need an UPS.

How is the power delivery where you live? stable, or dodgy?

Cheers

Jakob

CPU: I7 4790K GPU: Manli GTX 980 Mobo: Asus Gryphon z97 RAM: kingston Hyper x fury 16GB 1866mhz PSU: EVGA supernova 750W G2 SSD: Samsung 840 evo 500GB HDD: WD Black 3TB Case: Parvum s2.0 Fans: Noiseblocker E-loop 800rpm Cooling: Custom water cooling

Power filtering, immediate backup power in case of a brownout/blackout.

In Oregon, I'm right next to a substation, all of our lines are pretty much underground and our delivery system for this area is all hydroelectric. We really only get brown/blackouts in the winter due to idiot drivers hitting the poles that actually deliver power to the substation. I use my UPS to monitor wattage usage.

I run my PC and center screen through a UPS. Through a surge protector.

Power delivery's pretty darn good here, but sometimes we aren't even told of power outages when immediate maintenance is needed.

Sig under construction.

Eh, I live in Norway and the power delivery is pretty much 99,99% stable.

Power blackouts happens maybe once or twice a year when the wind is unusually strong in the autumn or winter.

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

Power filtering, immediate backup power in case of a brownout/blackout.

In Oregon, I'm right next to a substation, all of our lines are pretty much underground and our delivery system for this area is all hydroelectric. We really only get brown/blackouts in the winter due to idiot drivers hitting the poles that actually deliver power to the substation. I use my UPS to monitor wattage usage.

well i Know what it is and what it does it is just not needed where i come from, but i have learned otherwise now.

I run my PC and center screen through a UPS. Through a surge protector.

Power delivery's pretty darn good here, but sometimes we aren't even told of power outages when immediate maintenance is needed.

well, in these situation i´m never home, it is allways at noon or around that time where i come from.

Eh, I live in Norway and the power delivery is pretty much 99,99% stable.

Power blackouts happens maybe once or twice a year when the wind is unusually strong in the autumn or winter.

it is the same in Denmark thats why i had my doubts whether it was needed or not, but i can see why you need the in places like Ireland (Dublin).

CPU: I7 4790K GPU: Manli GTX 980 Mobo: Asus Gryphon z97 RAM: kingston Hyper x fury 16GB 1866mhz PSU: EVGA supernova 750W G2 SSD: Samsung 840 evo 500GB HDD: WD Black 3TB Case: Parvum s2.0 Fans: Noiseblocker E-loop 800rpm Cooling: Custom water cooling

Where I am, the power supply is generally decent, but for some reason my house is incredibly sensitive to fluctuations in the surrounding area. So in the run up to Christmas we have a lot more shortouts and surges due to all the damn Christmas lights. Otherwise, we don't get affected too often.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

In Sydney, the power delivery is generally very stable and I haven't experienced any full blackouts for years. I don't have a UPS personally because I haven't been able to afford one, but I'm looking to get one just as assurance the in the event of any electrical anomalies my electronics/data will be fine.  

System: Corsair 500R | i7 4770k | Coolermaster 212 Evo | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Windforce R9 290 | Evo 840 250GB | Barracuda 2TB | Barracuda 3TB | Dell U2410 LG 23EA63V 

Go read up on South Africa and Eskom. our power is F*D, we have rolling outages and very very "dirty" power.. UPS is a must if you want your nice rig to last. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Hello fellow LTT members

I´m a young Danish boy at the age of 19, and i never really understood the reason why an UPS is important.

In Denmark a all most never experience a power outage or any dodgyness in the power delivery in Denmark.

which is why i have never seen it as an important thing to invest in, but.

right now i´m in Ireland and suddenly the reason for an UPS stands very clear. Where i live in Ireland the lights in the roofs flickers all the time and is not being fed with a stable power. and every time i plug anything into the wall the light flickers as well.

So if your computer was fed with that kind of unstable power i see why you need an UPS.

How is the power delivery where you live? stable, or dodgy?

Cheers

Jakob

Where in Ireland do you live?

| CPU: Intel i7 4790K @4.4Ghz  | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming  | CPU COOLING: FRACTAL DESIGN S36 | MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximus Vii HERO | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600MHz  | CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 850W Fully Modular | HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda | SSD: 256GB Crucial MX100 | DISPLAY: Dell U2414H | HEADSET: Corsair H2100 Dolby 7.1 Surround |

Where in Ireland do you live?

Dublin i´m here 2 more weeks for studying.