Will VRAM-gate hurt Nvidia?

maizenblue

Finally a 970 owner that doesn't defend nvidia.

Kudos dude.

I don't know how people can defend them. They got lied to then made into ignorant examples of why consumers will never have quality products they deserve--because the forever dedicated fanboys will defend their company no matter what because of the nice little thing known as the brand. That good ole GTX before every card model that undoubtedly proves the card is the best card in the world, among the other elite members of the GTX family.

It amazes me that people don't have the intelligence to realize this. I spent money on two of these cards, and while they do me fine now and I've been happy with their performance thus far, lord knows how well they'll work when I get a 1440p monitor to use with my 1080p monitor, and some newer games come out that will take up more of my VRAM. Pisses me off, rightfully so might I add.

I would've bought another card/cards had I known they were lying about the card, and wouldn't have taken a second thought about it.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Finally a 970 owner that doesn't defend nvidia.

Kudos dude.

Why should every nVidia owner go crazy in your opinion now?

I never bought a GTX970 I bought 3 GTX980s. They are perfectly fine. And what about people with a Titan or a GTX780Ti, what reason would these people have to go enrage?

If AMD (and I bought a R9 290X, so I know about its performance) would have this OC potential I´d buy it. For me as benchmarker the brand doesn´t matter only performance. And when you look for the last FPS or point in benchmark you will need the biggest and fastest chip available anyways.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Why should every nVidia owner go crazy in your opinion now?

I never bought a GTX970 I bought 3 GTX980s. They are perfectly fine. And what about people with a Titan or a GTX780Ti, what reason would these people have to go enrage?

If AMD (and I bought a R9 290X, so I know about its performance) would have this OC potential I´d buy it. For me as benchmarker the brand doesn´t matter only performance. And when you look for the last FPS or point in benchmark you will need the biggest and fastest chip available anyways.

Maybe because nvidia were scumbags and scammed their customers.

As an enthusiast you would understand that the 970 SLI is a no no for 4k resolutions.

The 290x SLI combo is much better since it doesn't produce stutter at high resolutions , 970 SLI for 4k is dead IMO.

Many people have had reports similar to this guy:

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2tu86z/discussion_i_benchmarked_gtx_970s_in_sli_at_1440p/

----------------------CONCLUSION---------------------

EDIT: Another disclaimer, as some people have expressed their dissent towards me for posting this at all. None of what I say is 100% fact and solely my opinion and impressions. Thanks.

The GTX 970 is a 3.5gb card. It will perform horribly once 3.5gb of Vram is used and is a deal breaker to many high resolution enthusiasts.

I feel sorry for anyone that sidegraded from a 780 to a 970 setup for another 512MB of Ram.  

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Maybe because nvidia were scumbags and scammed their customers.

As an enthusiast you would understand that the 970 SLI is a no no for 4k resolutions.

The 290x SLI combo is much better since it doesn't produce stutter at high resolutions , 970 SLI for 4k is dead IMO.

Many people have had reports similar to this guy:

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2tu86z/discussion_i_benchmarked_gtx_970s_in_sli_at_1440p/

Still not my point. As an enthusiast a smaller chip is not an option and I wouldn´t want either a R9 290X CF nor a GTX970 2way SLI for 4K. I´m already upset with the GTX980 3way SLI...

My point is that people that have a certain card no matter what brand could be happy with it. If you bought a GTX970 and feel different about it then it is your good right to be upset. But all people that rage here and do NOT have a GTX970 are just lemmings that hop on the hate train. And still it remains to be seen if AMD can hold what they promise with their 'King of the Hill'. People write that they are just around the corner... but it seems we won´t see this GPU until Q2 2015... if nVidia brings the next Titan (chances are good for a launch in Feb 2015) enthusiasts will buy this card because it will be the fastest option available.

But is it really necessary to insult and offend people jsut they have a different opinion than another person? Did you read one of the threads in the official forums yesterday? I hope some of these people that posted that crazy stuff there will never have a real problem in their life.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Still not my point. As an enthusiast a smaller chip is not an option and I wouldn´t want either a R9 290X CF nor a GTX970 2way SLI for 4K. I´m already upset with the GTX980 3way SLI...

My point is that people that have a certain card no matter what brand could be happy with it. If you bought a GTX970 and feel different about it then it is your good right to be upset. But all people that rage here and do NOT have a GTX970 are just lemmings that hop on the hate train. And still it remains to be seen if AMD can hold what they promise with their 'King of the Hill'. People write that they are just around the corner... but it seems we won´t see this GPU until Q2 2015... if nVidia brings the next Titan (chances are good for a launch in Feb 2015) enthusiasts will buy this card because it will be the fastest option available.

But is it really necessary to insult and offend people jsut they have a different opinion than another person? Did you read one of the threads in the official forums yesterday? I hope some of these people that posted that crazy stuff there will never have a real problem in their life.

I have said this time and time again when nvidia does right by their customers i will back the fuck off.

Until now , no public apology , no "sorry guys we fucked up" , no rectification , no refunds , nothing.

They might try to sweep this under the rug but it wont be possible.

I have said this time and time again when nvidia does right by their customers i will back the fuck off.

Until now , no public apology , no "sorry guys we fucked up" , no rectification , no refunds , nothing.

They might try to sweep this under the rug but it wont be possible.

And what´s your plan about it? Rage about nVidia until kingdom comes, or try to tell everybody that buys nVidia is a bad person because they support a company that you don´t like?

I´d just let go of it for a little while. You know it´s perfectly fine to have an opinion on something but you can never judge people by having another.

And what´s your plan about it? Rage about nVidia until kingdom comes, or try to tell everybody that buys nVidia is a bad person because they support a company that you don´t like?

I´d just let go of it for a little while. You know it´s perfectly fine to have an opinion on something but you can never judge people by having another.

Until then i will exercise my right to be mad about it and i will boycott nvidia.

I dont like when companies do shady shit like this.

If nvidia doesn't man up they will be sued by false advertisement claims , what happened to intel will happen to them and

i sure hope they lose millions and learn a lesson.

I think support nvidia is saying lying to your costumers is okay and that the consumers of nvidia support this kind of behavior.

Until then i will exercise my right to be mad about it and i will boycott nvidia.

I dont like when companies do shady shit like this.

If nvidia doesn't man up they will be sued by false advertisement claims , what happened to intel will happen to them and

i sure hope they lose millions and learn a lesson.

Agreed that is your good right as a free person in a free country. But please don´t start running around and try to dictate other people why they should not buy certain hardware based on an offended mind and not by hardfacts, because there are already too many of these peoples around.

The only thing that makes me wonder is, what would happen if AMD had something similar going on with their next cards, I mean what kind of GPU would people then buy if AMD and nVidia were not trustworthy ??

Agreed that is your good right as a free person in a free country. But please don´t start running around and try to dictate other people why they should not buy certain hardware based on an offended mind and not by hardfacts, because there are already too many of these peoples around.

The only thing that makes me wonder is, what would happen if AMD had something similar going on with their next cards, I mean what kind of GPU would people then buy if AMD and nVidia were not trustworthy ??

I have disclosed full transparency in my posts.

I have said 

I wont support nvidia until they do right by their consumers.

I wont recommend nvidia cards untill then.

Get a 290x IMO

I think companies diserve to be boycotted after they do something of this nature.

And its within my right to boycott them.

I gave shit to AMD when their FX cpus were a joke and not true eight core cpus by any means,

I dont have particular brand preference my rig is intel / AMD but i wont support shady business practices.

If you are okay with what nvidia did and will continue to buy nvidia cards thats your choice , i have made mine.

My point here is inform people of the truth , if you dont care about it fine you can ignore my posts.

I think they should change their marketing to reflect it only has actual 3.5GB of VRAM.

Other than that, I don't care. I've seen so many people overreacting about the number of ROPs and whatnot... okay - did you buy it because of the number of ROPs or because of how it performed? Because its performance is unchanged by this news, so you're still getting the performance you paid for.

The 3.5GB of VRAM I can understand complaining about... but the other specs, eh, it doesn't really matter.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

I wish all these threads were closed. Getting tired of all the 970 reposts.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

I wish all these threads were closed. Getting tired of all the 970 reposts.

Nvidia just needs to apologize and i think most people will shut up.

Or do something to appease the situation , even ubisoft gave away free dlc when AC unity sucked.

I have disclosed full transparency in my posts.

I have said 

I think companies diserve to be boycotted after they do something of this nature.

And its within my right to boycott them.

I gave shit to AMD when their FX cpus were a joke and not true eight core cpus by any means,

I dont have particular brand preference my rig is intel / AMD but i wont support shady business practices.

If you are okay with what nvidia did and will continue to buy nvidia cards thats your choice , i have made mine.

My point here is inform people of the truth , if you dont care about it fine you can ignore my posts.

As stated before for my purposes only the performance matters. The 3 GTX980s I have are basically outdated for me already and two of them are as good as sold as soon as the next highend card comes out. But I will be always be on the bleeding edge of performance as enthusiast benchmarker. So AMD or nVidia are names but nothing more to be because I only care about the benchmarks.

You seem to be a bit harsh in some posts in the way you express yourself right now, but after your explanation of your point of view I don´t find you stupid or ignorant. You have made a legit point and I can respect this. Thanks for sharing it.

As stated before for my purposes only the performance matters. The 3 GTX980s I have are basically outdated for me already and two of them are as good as sold as soon as the next highend card comes out. But I will be always be on the bleeding edge of performance as enthusiast benchmarker. So AMD or nVidia are names but nothing more to be because I only care about the benchmarks.

You seem to be a bit harsh in some posts in the way you express yourself right now, but after your explanation of your point of view I don´t find you stupid or ignorant. You have made a legit point and I can respect this. Thanks for sharing it.

No problem.

I'm sure you will enjoy the 3xx cards.

No problem.

I'm sure you will enjoy the 3xx cards.

Oh that I´m sure I´m already waiting for them :) .

Oh that I´m sure I´m already waiting for them :) .

I'm not quite on the bleeding edge like you but at least you don't insult me and call me poor like your friend vlad seems to do when he gets the chance.

PC gaming isn't just for the enthusiast crowd and some people tend to forget this.

Now that Nvidia has released a statement explaining that they basically knew about the GTX 970's VRAM effectively being limited to 3.5 GB all along, and that the card is "working as intended"(because their intention was to make money off this card apparently), does this change your view of Nvidia and willingness to buy from them in the future?

For me its not about whether this will dramatically affect my gaming with this card, its the fact they knowingly used false advertisement, then played stupid when they got caught, claiming they were "looking into the problem" when they knew this wasn't some bug they recently became aware of. I see this as blatant corporate misbehavior by a company with a track record of shady monopolistic practices. People should report Nvidia to the better business bureau.

It has never been 'effectively' limited to 3.5GB, its always been fully useable, which I've proved myself. Do I need to do a video of the tests for everyone who's being foolish?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

It has never been 'effectively' limited to 3.5GB, its always been fully useable, which I've proved myself. Do I need to do a video of the tests for everyone who's being foolish?

I dont think anyone can argue that the 970 doesnt have 4 GB.

The problem is that the last 0.5 are very slow.

The GTX 970 is a 3.5gb card. It will perform horribly once 3.5gb of Vram is used and is a deal breaker to many high resolution enthusiasts.

I'm not quite on the bleeding edge like you but at least you don't insult me and call me poor like your friend vlad seems to do when he gets the chance.

PC gaming isn't just for the enthusiast crowd and some people tend to forget this.

I can´t see him on my FL ;) . PC and PC gaming is for everyone and everybody should enjoy it the way the want or the best they can :). You have a respectable behaviour and your own opinion, nothing wrong with that. I will always stand behind PC and PC gaming, of course I pump a ton of money in my PC every year... by the end of it, I might be an enthusiast with a higher resolition and higher benchmarks, but also a PC gamer like everybody else.

I dont think anyone can argue that the 970 doesnt have 4 GB.

The problem is that the last 0.5 are very slow.

I know its slow, I saw the last 500MB load a lot slower in Kombuster. The thing is, that is the only way I was able to load more than 3GB of vRAM as none of my games pushed higher even with 4K DSR.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I can´t see him on my FL ;) . PC and PC gaming is for everyone and everybody should enjoy it the way the want or the best they can :). You have a respectable behaviour and your own opinion, nothing wrong with that. I will always stand behind PC and PC gaming, of course I pump a ton of money in my PC every year... by the end of it, I might be an enthusiast with a higher resolition and higher benchmarks, but also a PC gamer like everybody else.

I wish i could pump more money into my PC but as a college student its hard.

Still my rig can play crysis 3 at 60 FPS high at the potato resolution i use so im not even mad xD.

I know its slow, I saw the last 500MB load a lot slower in Kombuster. The thing is, that is the only way I was able to load more than 3GB of vRAM as none of my games pushed higher even with 4K DSR.

What Nvidia did was like trying to sell a 1 TB SDD that was one part 900 GB TB and One part glued together 5400rpm 100 GB HDD.