Choosing between two 144Hz monitors(To Gsync, or not to Gsync)

AmbellinaThePrise

So, i'm getting a gaming/video editing/music recording build together[specs for anyone interested: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xRVKMp], and do not have a modern monitor.(Have had a laptop since 2008, and the last monitor I had was a 17" I got way back in 2002 when I had a Dell Optiplex gx260!) 

My current two choices are either the Asus VG248qe http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

Or the BenQ XL2420G http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014412&cm_re=xl2420g-_-24-014-412-_-Product

Now, I know that you can(or could) buy a kit to make the Asus Gsync ready, but It's not something i'm comfortable with doing. I play a lot of different types of games, but my favorites are FPS games. Mostly CS:GO, Battlefield, Titanfall, and CoD(yeah, yeah. I know.)

Is Gsync worth saving the extra week or two for? or should I just buy the Asus and call it a day?

Thanks!

CPU: i7 7700k @ 4.9GHz Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 RAM: 16 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 Case:Phanteks Evolv TG

Gsync isn't worth $325

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

IMO the BenQ G-SYNC is best, assuming you have a nividia card that supports it

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

I have a rog Swift myself. at 144hz the "Stuttering" fix g-sync does isn't all that noticeable. its sweet spot seems to be 40-60 hz. Although if you notice screen tearing alot and it bothers you. G-Sync does fix that.

New PC Build - Build Log - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/276039-project-swift-force/

[spoiler=]

• Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero
  • CPU: Intel i7-4790K
  • GPU1: GIGABYTE G1 GAMING GTX 970 4GB
  • GPU2: GIGABYTE G1 GAMING GTX 970 4GB
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Red, 16gb (2x8GB) @1600mhz
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W 80+ Gold
  • CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB 7200RPM
  • SSD: Samsung 840 EVO - 250GB
  • Monitor: Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 27" 144hz G-Sync
  • Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 600 OHM
  • DAC/AMP: Mayflower Objective2 + ODAC Combo
  • Mouse: ROCCAT Kone Pure Optical
  • Keyboard: KBP V60 - Cherry MX Brown

IMO the BenQ G-SYNC is best, assuming you have a nividia card that supports it

Will have the 970, so I won't have any issues with that. :)

I would get the g-sync one, assuming the price doesn't matter that much, but then you should get the rog swift.

Well, that's the thing. I can spend up to $2400 all things told on this build. And the BenQ pushes the price up to just under $2200, and the ROG Swift is $800. That could cause some issues.

I have a rog Swift myself. at 144hz the "Stuttering" fix g-sync does isn't all that noticeable. its sweet spot seems to be 40-60 hz. Although if you notice screen tearing alot and it bothers you. G-Sync does fix that.

Well, I likely won't be hitting that high of FPS in some games consistently, I know I can in battlefield 4. i've seen tons of videos of people using the same rig and getting as high as 150FPS, albeit briefly.  And I haven't noticed any screen tearing(as my build is not put together, and I only have a couple of the parts at the moment), but it is something i'd like to avoid, as seeing some people with it, it would bother me quite a bit. I like as smooth a performance as I can get within the hardware's limitations of course.

CPU: i7 7700k @ 4.9GHz Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 RAM: 16 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 Case:Phanteks Evolv TG

Well, that's the thing. I can spend up to $2400 all things told on this build. And the BenQ pushes the price up to just under $2200, and the ROG Swift is $800. That could cause some issues.

Well, I likely won't be hitting that high of FPS in some games consistently, I know I can in battlefield 4. i've seen tons of videos of people using the same rig and getting as high as 150FPS, albeit briefly.  And I haven't noticed any screen tearing(as my build is not put together, and I only have a couple of the parts at the moment), but it is something i'd like to avoid, as seeing some people with it, it would bother me quite a bit. I like as smooth a performance as I can get within the hardware's limitations of course.

Yeah, my setup with two gtx 970's can handle most games @1440p 100+ fps so I don't see much benefit of the G-Sync.

That being said, the new Assassins Creed and Dragon age games cause me to get anywhere between 40-60 fps (woo optimizations). Being the sweet spot for G-Sync. it makes a pretty big difference in the perceived smoothness of the gameplay. If you're likely to get similar frame rates in the titles you play. it'll be a handy feature to have now, and in the future as more games come out with higher system requirements.

New PC Build - Build Log - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/276039-project-swift-force/

[spoiler=]

Well, i'll be playing at 1080p, with just a single 970(actually, with this whole thing going on with the 970, i'm debating if buying a 980 would be more worth it or not currently), And while I may not need Gsync, it would be one of those "I could rest easier" things knowing that if screen tearing were going to happen, i'd have the ability to do something about it. I always say it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. And with my current financial situation, I can afford the BenQ, and justify it through that. But if Gsync was a totally useless feature for whatever reason, i'd feel cheated if I spent my money on it. But Linus definitely thinks it's a great feature, as do many others.

Well, i'll be playing at 1080p, with just a single 970(actually, with this whole thing going on with the 970, i'm debating if buying a 980 would be more worth it or not currently), And while I may not need Gsync, it would be one of those "I could rest easier" things knowing that if screen tearing were going to happen, i'd have the ability to do something about it. I always say it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. And with my current financial situation, I can afford the BenQ, and justify it through that. But if Gsync was a totally useless feature for whatever reason, i'd feel cheated if I spent my money on it. But Linus definitely thinks it's a great feature, as do many others.

Yeah, based upon your usage scenario you'd probably get more use out of it then me. That being said. I'm still glad I forked out the cash and got a G-Sync Monitor, it is a great feature.

As for the whole problem with the 970. I wouldn't let it concern you too much.

Nvidia has responded to it here http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-Responds-GTX-970-35GB-Memory-Issue

Not a whole ton of difference in having the full 4gb to the 3.5gb. And you're likely not to use the all that VRAM on a 1080p display. Still a little stupid of Nvidia, but not a huge deal.

[spoiler=]

Yeah, I do think the issue is slightly overblown. I've half used it as justification to get a 980, but in the end, I think the 970 would be the best bet, and by the time I need any form of upgrade, i'm sure Nvidia will have some new cards out. Or hell, even AMD(Though I wouldn't be able to take advantage of Gsync if I switch to an AMD 3xx later on.) Though with the way this works out, the 980 would put me at that $2400 budget pretty squarely. But I'm not sure how much of a performance increase the GTX 980 even offers over the 970.

Edit: also to note, I will be playing some skyrim with quite a few mods on it, Would I run into issues with the VRAM on the 970?