No included headset with Xbox One

xbox-one-headset.jpg

Amid the fallout from an explosive E3 earlier this month, Microsoft quietly revealed some of the official accessories that will be released alongside the Xbox One in November. On this list was a one-ear mono headset that seems relatively unremarkable except for one well-hidden fact: it apparently will not be included in the box with the Xbox One.

The Official Xbox Magazine confirmed the lack of a packaged headset with Xbox Support, whichtweeted that the system "does not come with a headset." That's in contrast to the current $299, 250GB Xbox 360 model, which includes a basic headset in the box (the lower-priced 4GB model does not include a headset). It's also another difference between the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4, the latter of which will include a basic mono earbud and microphone with each system.

Xbox One users without a headset will still be able to chat with friends using the included Kinect and its multidirectional microphone. Microsoft has taken great pains to show off that device filtering out TV noise and picking up even quiet voice commands from around the room. However, it remains to be seen just how well this setup can replace a standard headset for multiplayer chat.

Microsoft has not revealed a price for its optional headset accessory, but it's promoting a variety of third-party headsets from Turtle Beach and Polk for prices up to $200. These units promise to be able to stream stereo or surround game audio through the wireless controller rather than requiring a long cord connected to the system or TV.

Thanks to a proprietary connection to the controller, existing Xbox 360 headsets will not be directly usable on the Xbox One. Turtle Beach, however, has said that it will be providing an adapter that lets its Xbox One headsets work on Xbox 360 controllers, proving that such inter-compatibility is possible with extra hardware.

In addition to the headset, Microsoft has revealed a Play and Charge kit for the Xbox One. This will replace the standard AA batteries on the Xbox One controller with a rechargeable pack, much like the similar product for the Xbox 360. PlayStation 4 controllers will be rechargeable out of the box, but standard Xbox One controllers will be usable in a "wired" mode when connected to the system via a normal USB micro cable.

Kyle Orland - Ars Technica

The unrestrained mics that are so common in xbox :

!!!!!!!   NOW FEATURING MORE ECHO !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some sacrifices just shouldn't be made if you want to hold some type of minimum Quality of Service for everyone. 

We all have those memories of Joe Shmo joining the game and utterly destroying everyone's' ear drums for a solid 15 sec. 

But seriously Microsoft is now just making it easier for Sony to really take the reigns for the beginning of this release cycle.

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

when has a headset ever been an included accessory with the base system of a console at launch? Non-news, more fanboi rage, move along

when has a headset ever been an included accessory with the base system of a console at launch? Non-news, more fanboi rage, move along

Both previous xbox generations.

xbox_elite_box_contents.jpglrgscalexboxheadset.jpg

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

Both previous xbox generations.

xbox_elite_box_contents.jpglrgscalexboxheadset.jpg

The core model did not, you had to upgrade to at least the pro model to get the headset and the original xbox didnt come with one, you had to buy it separate or get the Xbox Live starter kit

Who even uses the headsets that they come with? Do you hate your ears that much?

Get some quality stuff.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

and before someone says that Xbox should include it because PS4 does, please consider that THIS is the bundled headset

dsc07959jpg-30ba79_610w.jpg

Please keep your 30 cents it cost to make that guys, I have a billion of these for my phone

Who even uses the headsets that they come with? Do you hate your ears that much?

Get some quality stuff.

it's just used to chat with, nothing else.

Get some quality stuff.

Dude, it's just for the voice and it has always been very comprehensible. I own a 5.1 system so i won't get some turtle beach's just to talk to my friends. Pretty useless imo. I know several people who are in the same situation

144Hz goodness

There will be tons of after market headsets anyways.  Fan boi rage is a fan boi rage.  Carry on.

wait cant u just use the kenect ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Meh I'd throw it away anyway... People are just looking for every possible reason to hate on MS...

Nonissue is nonissue.

The only reason to own an xbone is gone now it's no longer built around internet integration. (yeah I'm that one guy in ten that liked the online services it's progressive)

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

• 2 weeks later...

Oh the shame and horror. How ever shall we coup in a world without an included headset? Just trolling there. They totally redid their connections for headsets it looks like, and if they go with usb, it's makes sense for them not to give you a headset. 

i read that the headsets are going to be included now. the only thing left for them to maybe change would be the constant kinect tracking.

CPU: core i7 3930k @4.2ghz- MOBO: ASUS P9X79- GPU: GTX 680 2gb Reference SLI- SIMM: 8gb Kingston hyperX genesis 1600mhz- HDD/SSD: Seagate Baracuda 1.0tb/OCZ agility 3/ Vertex 2- CASE: corsair graphite 600T- COOLER: corsair H100- PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 850w- FANS: Noctua NF-F12.

So bored with Xbox news tbh, why bother no one is buying it any how

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

wait cant u just use the kenect ?

Yes you can, hopefully Kinect 2.0's mic is better, I had a cousin of mine who exclusively used the Kinect's mic to talk to me. I hated it. He had it far away from him so he was quiet when he talked and it sounded beyond distorted it when he was close up, like a cheap $5 mic you can pick up from Best Buy.

Yes you can, hopefully Kinect 2.0's mic is better, I had a cousin of mine who exclusively used the Kinect's mic to talk to me. I hated it. He had it far away from him so he was quiet when he talked and it sounded beyond distorted it when he was close up, like a cheap $5 mic you can pick up from Best Buy.

not to mention the echo and sound from the tv itself >_> and background noise like moms telling there 10 year olds to get off cod

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

not to mention the echo and sound from the tv itself >_> and background noise like moms telling there 10 year olds to get off cod

OH GOD! I forgot about the echo!

It really is a daunting thing...I know the PS4's mic is cheap, but at least it's something. You could easily put a pair of headphones over it and it'd look sleek.

OH GOD! I forgot about the echo!

It really is a daunting thing...I know the PS4's mic is cheap, but at least it's something. You could easily put a pair of headphones over it and it'd look sleek.

yup! luckily for the current gen there weren't a whole lot of kinect users and those who had one used a dedicated mic most the time

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I think we need to wait and find out how bad the kinect is for voice chatting. Everyone who played the 360 knows that one was terrible for voice chat. Maybe improvements will be made. 

Hardware: | CPU: i5 3570k | Graphics: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Mobo: MSI z77a-G45 Gaming | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit | 

Peripherals: Logitech G502 | CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Red switch) |